WikiWirral yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,550
Posts1,034,386
Members15,032
Most Online244,501
May 17th, 2026
Who's Online Now
5 members (1 invisible), 24,524 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,270
granny 17,811
_Ste_ 16,348
Newest Members
FrankL, Stevan, Marie1, Macca75, Jessp
15,032 Registered Users
New General Forums
?? ??????????? ?????? ?? ?????? ???? ???? ??????
by JunxinH - 29th Sep 2026 10:18am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
New Wirral History
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
eli birkenhead market.
by cathcart - 8th Feb 2011 9:23pm
309 The Dell
by Mark - 29th Dec 2008 3:56pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 7
Marie1 1
Topic Replies
Vape, Heads up
by diggingdeeper - 6th Oct 2026 7:56am
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
eli birkenhead market.
by Marie1 - 17th Sep 2026 4:25pm
309 The Dell
by diggingdeeper - 16th Sep 2026 4:18pm
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by missyb - 12th Sep 2026 3:44pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Mark - 11th Sep 2026 10:28pm
Mersey Barrage
by diggingdeeper - 11th Sep 2026 1:36pm
Family of Henry waring
by bert1 - 11th Sep 2026 9:38am
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Mark 2
Top Likes Received
bert1 33
Mark 6
casper 4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#635171 10th Dec 2011 4:36am
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 720
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 720
I've tried looking on the Wirral History forum to see if I can find anything about high tide at Parkgate but realised I would have to spend umpteen hours sifting through all the posts tired Browsing through another website earlier I saw an old photograph from the 1940's showing high tide there (I'd post a link to it on here if I knew how to)
Anyway, does anyone know when the last time was that the tide came up to the wall and also are there ways of telling when or if it may happen again?

Last edited by Elizabeth; 10th Dec 2011 4:37am.
Google Ads
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,844
Likes: 33
Wiki Veteran
Offline
Wiki Veteran
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,844
Likes: 33
might be something in this, haven't read through it.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/475595/1.html


God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.


Bertieone.
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,961
Forum Addict
Offline
Forum Addict
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,961
If you go to Dee Estuary Birding, lots of info there

http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/tides.htm

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,131
Forum Addict
Offline
Forum Addict
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,131
I found it a complete yawn. The tide trickles in at a snail's pace.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,195
Forum Addict
Offline
Forum Addict
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,195
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
I've tried looking on the Wirral History forum to see if I can find anything about high tide at Parkgate but realised I would have to spend umpteen hours sifting through all the posts tired Browsing through another website earlier I saw an old photograph from the 1940's showing high tide there (I'd post a link to it on here if I knew how to)
Anyway, does anyone know when the last time was that the tide came up to the wall and also are there ways of telling when or if it may happen again?


Try this link for old photos -
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...at_House_and_Swimming_Po.html#Post314994

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,447
Forum Guardian
Offline
Forum Guardian
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,447
I saw the highest tide in four years it was halfway up the Bank wall opposite the Red lion .... as it come in` swarms of field mice came over the sea wall would've made a good photo

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 4,120
Forum Guardian
Offline
Forum Guardian
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 4,120
When was that Vanmanone. I've been down a couple of times for spring tides and they have been none event tbh

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,551
Forum Veteran
Offline
Forum Veteran
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,551
Must admit I have had the same dissapointment SS.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 267
Addict
Offline
Addict
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 267
Heres a pic i lifted from a dvd shot @ parkgate in 1990 i believe.

Attached Images
p gate 90.jpg (201.93 KB, 247 downloads)
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 576
Smartchild
Offline
Smartchild
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 576
High tide in a storm, about 1930

Attached Images
tide1930.jpg (142.64 KB, 231 downloads)
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,447
Forum Guardian
Offline
Forum Guardian
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,447
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
When was that Vanmanone. I've been down a couple of times for spring tides and they have been none event tbh
About eight or so years ago smile

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,447
Forum Guardian
Offline
Forum Guardian
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,447
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
Must admit I have had the same dissapointment SS.
About four times a year it comes in .. If it were me` I would have a look the "Speed=high tide" its coming in` save yourself a wasted journey.This is one site you could look at however am sure there are better tide tables about

http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/tides.htm

Last edited by Vanmanone; 10th Dec 2011 5:12pm.
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 190
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 190
The last time i can say i saw the tide over the wall was in the mid 80's, i can also recal poping in to see a friend in parkgate at the beginning of 1991 and the tide was right up but not over the wall when i saw it !.

I have seen the tide far higher in the past when no one was about than when it has been a publicised high tide event !.

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 720
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 720
Thanks for all the info. I used to visit Parkgate a lot and never once saw the water up to the wall or anywhere near it. I had heard it mentioned too, Vanmanone that rats & mice scurry to dry land when the tide comes in.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 177
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 177
I was just going through some of my photos this evening, when I saw these I took on 30th March 2002. This was with my first digital camera.

I didn't go to Parkgate that day to see the incoming tide, I just happened to be there when I saw it slowly trickling in towards the wall. (This is incredibly tame compared to the 1990 and 1930 pics! laugh )

Whether it came in any further or not that day, I don't really know as I didn't hang around for too long - as others have said it was coming in really slowly. I certainly missed the peak of the tide, but I don't think it broke any records though. laugh

Still as always, plenty of people gathered at Parkgate to watch it.

Attached Images
DSC_0198.jpg (290.04 KB, 64 downloads)
DSC_0210.jpg (269.85 KB, 65 downloads)
DSC_0213.jpg (255.51 KB, 66 downloads)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
For Sale & Free
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral, Cheshire
Posts: 14,579
Joined: July 2008
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
News : New Topics
New Enthusiast Forums
Popular Topics(Views)
10,907,082 CW Chat room thread
6,017,249 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,724,594 Spotted!
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5