Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,396
Posts1,033,457
Members14,642
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (3 invisible), 10,219 guests, and 506 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,797
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
cjclow05, Fethon, Simonwood, Andymac06, jamesc97
14,642 Registered Users
New General Forums
Magnet fishing
by Dilly - 2nd Oct 2017 11:43am
New Wirral History
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 8
granny 5
meaty 2
Topic Replies
More Bins
by diggingdeeper - 25th Jul 2024 5:13am
Magnet fishing
by Tomcra - 23rd Jul 2024 12:33pm
What are you currently reading?
by derekdwc - 23rd Jul 2024 12:22pm
Birkenhead tip on fire
by diggingdeeper - 14th Jul 2024 8:44pm
Parking
by diggingdeeper - 14th Jul 2024 8:38pm
mattress scam
by steviebyday - 10th Jul 2024 6:33pm
Russia
by diggingdeeper - 8th Jul 2024 8:56pm
Brexit - A Few Years On
by diggingdeeper - 8th Jul 2024 3:07pm
July
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
chiccy 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Local News Jump to new posts
Re: More Bins diggingdeeper 25th Jul 2024 4:13am
It appears this has been triggered by a UN target (SDG 12.3), to half global food waste by 2030. Our UK target for 2025 was to reduce food waste by 20% which we most likely achieved easily.

I'm not convinced that collecting food waste significantly reduces food waste although obviously recycling helps mitigate it, that shouldn't be the preferred solution.

Non-edible UK food waste (shells, kernels, skins, peelings, waste fat/oil, sprouts etc) is about 30% of our total food waste .

UK domestic food waste is roughly three times the amount of our other food waste (manufacturing, hospitality sector etc).

Since 2018 there have already been quite large reductions in UK domestic food waste.

The figure I haven't found is how much domestic food waste is already recycled domestically (composted, fed to creatures etc), I know people that collect food waste from friends etc to compost it.

I'd hope chemical tests will be performed on the composted food waste although I don't see how this can be performed, its not as easy as checking water purity. Some toxins (to humans and/or plants) don't break down easily when composting, this could be opportunistic for terrorists to cause widespread poisoning or crop destruction. It would be safer to collect the methane then landfill the rest, we already recycle our sewage into the food chain which has to be a disaster waiting to happen.
4 241 Read More
Leisure & Hobbies Jump to new posts
Re: Magnet fishing Tomcra 23rd Jul 2024 11:33am
Update on finds. Ammo by the LB
A few rings on north Wales beeches
I was asked to go to an old charity well. I picked up a lot from that location lock keys that I left on the side so boats could pick up
A plough found on a football pitch. I picked up the handles it was on its side so very lucky when I could see. "Self shining blades" it's still I'm place. My most unexpected find was a tobacco tin with a hamster/or something and 9 pennys
28 19,354 Read More
Books Jump to new posts
Re: What are you currently reading? derekdwc 23rd Jul 2024 11:22am
For those that can read ebooks (eg on a kindle)
I can recomend a site where you can download various genres of books
for less than £8 for as many as 50 books as one lot.
Also has audio books

https://bookbusterdeals.com/product/100-orson-scott-card-

https://bookbusterdeals.com/shop/
336 387,044 Read More
Local News Jump to new posts
Re: Birkenhead tip on fire diggingdeeper 14th Jul 2024 7:44pm
This illegal tipping area on the corner of Cleveland Street and Cavendish Street has started to be cleared. I have no idea who is paying for the clearance.
8 5,422 Read More
Ask - Wiki Wirral Jump to new posts
Re: Parking diggingdeeper 14th Jul 2024 7:38pm
As I replied on the Parking Warden thread, they are issuing roughly 1000 PCNs per month, totalling about half a million pounds in 2023. Even though that is ridiculous, its not even touching the sides of the overall problem.

I don't like the way the council makes surrounding areas to pay-carparks no parking using the guise of road safety, at least one such road had no premises on it but had double yellow throughout. I strongly disagree with Birkenhead controlled zone, much of it is our business zone. Punishing people unnecessarily going to work doesn't gel with me. If every councillor went to council meetings and events by public transport at their own cost then I'd be more lenient but they aren't prepared to swallow their own medicine so shouldn't dish it out.

Totally agree on the Bebington Road Tesco, I hate driving in or out of that car park, people doing the weirdest of things because they are in a hurry.

No PCN's have been issued for Bebington Road between Jan 2022 and Mar 2024.

You can report parking problem areas to the Council https://my.wirral.gov.uk/service/Parking_problems but if its anything like Egremont Prom the wardens go at the wrong time of day so give as much detail as possible if you can.
1 682 Read More
Street News Jump to new posts
Re: mattress scam steviebyday 10th Jul 2024 5:33pm
that will be our traveller community.
2 1,007 Read More
National News Jump to new posts
Re: Russia diggingdeeper 8th Jul 2024 7:56pm
Originally Posted by meaty
Putin offered peace long ago but glorious Britain stood in and put an end to that, the only people who get anything from war is the war mongers.

Do you think it was a genuine and reasonable peace offering? What surety did he offer to show it was genuine? Would you agree to give away UK mainland soil to an invader who had already taken land away previously?

Putin didn't stop at Crimea, he carried on his advance a few years later.

The big elephant in the room is "What would NATO have done if Ukraine had already been a member?"

I agree, most nation leaders are war mongers but that is because we follow history and agree that us the people will be ruled by our lords, they in turn see their function as keeping the surfs subservient, there is no greater subservience than giving your life away to someone else's beckoning.

When we stop voting for rich people, we will probably stop our war mongering, in the mean time "tea breaks over, back on your heads!".
38 17,751 Read More
Re: Brexit - A Few Years On diggingdeeper 8th Jul 2024 2:07pm
Wage regulation goes back to the 1890s. Trade Boards were established to underpin wages in so
called ‘sweated’ or ‘badly organised’ industries and, after the Second World War, these morphed
into Wage Councils, but this apparatus was always regarded as secondary to more general
collective bargaining. Government also attempted to influence wages through Fair Wage
Resolutions using its own buying power to set wage floors. At its peak, 3.5 million workers were
covered by the wage councils.1
Unionisation also increased and peaked in 1980 when 54% of
eligible employees were members of unions. The cornerstone of union strength was collective
bargaining and both governments and unions regarded wage regulation as a last resort.
The Thatcher government reformed wage regulation as part of more general labour market
liberalisation, starting with the removal of the Fair Wage Resolutions in 1983. This went alongside
more general reforms to rein in the trade unions – something which had been attempted by the
earlier Wilson and Heath governments but had not been seen through. Wages Councils were finally
abolished by the Major government in 1993.
From the middle of the 1980s onward there was a marked increase in the number of people in low
income households. The number living in households with an income less than 40% of the median
doubled between 1985 and 1993. This coincided with the rapid decline of union coverage from its
peak.

SOURCE
19 1,810 Read More
Re: Suggestions for a Small Meeting Room in Wirral/Liverpool meaty 7th Jul 2024 9:34am
The Cleveland arms in new ferry would be sure to assist, give Ann a call or pop in and see her.
2 1,259 Read More
Street News Jump to new posts
Re: New Brighton front question diggingdeeper 6th Jul 2024 8:29am
I suspect not, if all three were owned by the same consortium then it would probably be to redevelop the whole block. However the Queens Royal was about to be refurbished to house the now defunct LIFE School which would appear to be a separate project, I have no idea if the LIFE School was going to own or lease the building.

If you want to know who owns them then it will cost you a total of £9 to get the three title deeds online.
1 883 Read More
Election 2024 diggingdeeper 5th Jul 2024 7:08am
Pollsters were near enough correct, however I get the feeling that more people than ever do not feel their vote was representative of what they wanted to say, eg Liz Truss very nearly retained her seat.

In reality, Labour did not perform very well with only gaining a 1.5% increase in the share of the vote.

I can see another call for proportional representation coming up, however that would just end up as successive hung parliaments which means a lot of policies will be a trade-off (noting a trade-off is not the same as a compromise). I would agree with proportional representation if there was not a party system, it is the party system that corrupts the view of the electorate

Farage yet again was undoubtedly the winner, he wanted to punish the Conservative Party and he has certainly achieved that. Its a sign of the times when acting is more important than politics, the main political parties don't want the populace to look to closely at the facts.

In five years the Tory's will likely get back in, that period isn't enough time for a Government to recover from the financial and social mess that has been left behind especially with some very costly commitments coming up. Starmer has choices (or combinations) of breaking promises on borrowing, more disastrous PFA type contracts or more forced austerity, no win whichever way.

I'm not too sure the Conservatives hierarchy wanted to win this election, they have bled the country dry which was about to catch up with them.

I am really not happy with major constitutional changes that have taken place without the population having a vote on them eg Wirral Council changing their electoral system. We need a proper constitution in this country.
0 534 Read More
Re: Clinic on Tollemache Rd by Nannygoats mountains bert1 3rd Jul 2024 3:37pm
Directories,

1911, 1938, Birkenhead Infectious Diseases Hospital.

1952, St James Hospital.
3 1,566 Read More
iphone signal vanished muzzy2 27th Jun 2024 8:35am
Cannot get phone calls or texts in or out. No lines at top of screen. everything else works OK Tried swapping SIm card into another phone with same result. So not a fault with card or phone. Don't want to have to reset in case I lose something. Any ideas?
0 548 Read More
Sunak Starmer Question/Debate diggingdeeper 27th Jun 2024 6:56am
In Summary:

Sunak
We have made a complete mess of everything so we are the experts to put it right.
We have written our own Labour Party manifesto and we will complain about the contents of that.
We haven't the foggiest where we are going to get the money from, we will carry on taking it from the more vulnerable.
Don't mention the almost non-existent NHS
Don't mention Tory Councils going bust.
I'll bully and lie my way through most of this, its usually good at getting the Eton vote.
Don't answer any questions, just keep on repeating anti-Labour rhetoric, it usually works.

Starmer
I've forgotten which Tory Councils are going bust - that should have been in my brief.
We can't say we have the answer to everything but we aren't going to copy what the Tories have done that has made the mess of everything.
We haven't mentioned the private partner-funding in our manifesto, or have we? Best not get to deep into this one.
I'll try and stand aloof from the Sunak verbals ..... nah, I can't help but answer back.
I daren't admit that state pensioners might pay a measly £2/yr tax in 2027/8 because Sunak will make it sound the £2M.
That noise in my left ear is putting me off, I can't think.
I can only remember the names of two female members in my team, I know there are more.

Presenter
If I survive this I'll get a promotion.
I presume the viewers want a punch up rather than a political debate.
I'll let Sunak carry on interrupting but to balance things I'll let Starmer have more time.
Wat is that annoying noise in my right ear?

Me
Tories record is of the demolition of everything in society and appear proud of it, Thatcherism/Truss Pt 2,
Sunak decided to make a lot of noise rather than talk politics.
Starmer failed to counter every argument fully despite Sunak leaving loads of open goals.
They should have sent the office cleaners along instead of these two.
I knew I shouldn't have bothered watching it.

Best laugh of the evening: Sunak getting question from a tory but Sunak obviously disappointing them with his answers, own goal!
0 491 Read More
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
More Bins
by diggingdeeper - 19th Jul 2024 11:05am
Parking
by Excoriator - 14th Jul 2024 12:29pm
Election 2024
by diggingdeeper - 5th Jul 2024 8:08am
New Brighton front question
by robin47 - 4th Jul 2024 2:49pm
Brexit - A Few Years On
by diggingdeeper - 2nd Jul 2024 12:33pm
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Parking
by Excoriator - 14th Jul 2024 12:29pm
iphone signal vanished
by muzzy2 - 27th Jun 2024 9:35am
Clinic on Tollemache Rd by Nannygoats mountains
by Bluesman - 13th Nov 2023 6:28pm
News : New Topics
More Bins
by diggingdeeper - 19th Jul 2024 11:05am
Election 2024
by diggingdeeper - 5th Jul 2024 8:08am