WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,550
Posts1,034,386
Members15,032
Most Online244,501
May 17th, 2026
Who's Online Now
3 members (2 invisible), 24,280 guests, and 605 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,270
granny 17,811
_Ste_ 16,348
Newest Members
FrankL, Stevan, Marie1, Macca75, Jessp
15,032 Registered Users
New General Forums
?? ??????????? ?????? ?? ?????? ???? ???? ??????
by JunxinH - 29th Sep 2026 10:18am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
How long does it take to get money out on weekends
by JunxinH - 6th Sep 2026 5:18pm
New Wirral History
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
eli birkenhead market.
by cathcart - 8th Feb 2011 9:23pm
309 The Dell
by Mark - 29th Dec 2008 3:56pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 7
Topic Replies
Vape, Heads up
by diggingdeeper - 6th Oct 2026 7:56am
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
eli birkenhead market.
by Marie1 - 17th Sep 2026 4:25pm
309 The Dell
by diggingdeeper - 16th Sep 2026 4:18pm
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by missyb - 12th Sep 2026 3:44pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Mark - 11th Sep 2026 10:28pm
Mersey Barrage
by diggingdeeper - 11th Sep 2026 1:36pm
Family of Henry waring
by bert1 - 11th Sep 2026 9:38am
Deva Mental Asylum, Chester
by _Ste_ - 6th Sep 2026 3:30pm
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Mark 2
Top Likes Received
bert1 33
Mark 6
casper 4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Erainn #470609 8th Feb 2011 12:03am
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 111
Likes: 1
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 111
Likes: 1
There was a small independent record shop on Grange Rd roughly opposite the Co-op but I can't remember it's name for the life of me frown

Google Ads
Stranger #470613 8th Feb 2011 12:05am
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 581
Likes: 1
Erainn Offline OP
Smartchild
OP Offline
Smartchild
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 581
Likes: 1
really? at that time?

Erainn #470619 8th Feb 2011 12:09am
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 128
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 128
Dunno, but it's where I would have gone it it was and I was old enough.

Erainn #470665 8th Feb 2011 1:02am
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 111
Likes: 1
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 111
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Erainn
really? at that time?


Yes definitely.
On racking what's left of my brains a bit further, I reckon it was a bit further up, possibly opposite where Waterstones is.
I can remember they sold posters and other stuff like badges and the sew on patches that were so popular at the time.
Believe it or not, in the early 70's Boots (opposite Woolies) had a good selection of records. I remember buying Bowie's Aladdin Sane when it came out in 73 for a whole £1.99 !
In 1978 there was also a record shop further down right opposite the Co-op where I bought Lou Reed's "Street Hassle" on 12" vinyl. Can't remember the name of that shop either blush

Stranger #470673 8th Feb 2011 1:10am
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 581
Likes: 1
Erainn Offline OP
Smartchild
OP Offline
Smartchild
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 581
Likes: 1
Clearly the early 70s had a corrosive impact upon the brain cells of untold numbers of folks in Birkenhead smile I have no recall of any such shop, lies down in darkened room and regresses wink

Erainn #470745 8th Feb 2011 10:46am
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,195
Forum Addict
Offline
Forum Addict
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,195
How many of you used to take your latest LP's into school to show off to your mates?

There always seemed to be a group of kids who walked around with their LP's permanently glued beneath their armpits! Usually the latest by Yes, or Jethro Tull, or Camel.

Also remember people painting the flaps of their canvas haversacks with the names of their favourite bands.


Erainn #470768 8th Feb 2011 12:27pm
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 794
Wise One
Offline
Wise One
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 794
Didn't there used to be a Rox records at Moreton Cross as well? Such a shame the smaller independant retailers got pushed to the wall by chains like Virgin Megastore, HMV and Our Price, who then in turn felt the squeeze from supermarkets and the internet.

I went into HMV in Birkenhead the other month and, after wondering round looking confused for about ten minutes, asked the assistant where the reggae CD's where. He directed me to the right spot and it's no wonder I couldn't find it.. it consisted of no more than a dozen albums... of which more than half were Bob Marley. The retailers left on the high street it seems can't or won't stock a diversity of music and instead concentrate on chart acts to try and shift units, in amongst DVD's, video games, consumer electronics, books, clothes, posters, chocolate bars & soft drinks and even umbrellas FFS, (no it wasn't a Rihanna promo item!). No wonder there's not enough room to stock music... and no wonder they're going to end up out of business. Their economic model and desperate chase of profit has gotten in the way of supplying actual recorded music.

Online sales may well count for the vast majority of music purchased in the future but I just wish they'd hurry up and adopt a better quality format than MP3. Something at least comparable to CD audio would be nice, but quality as good as vinyl or analogue tape masters must be the eventual goal.

I'm the sort of person who still likes to physically own an album, read the cover notes and put it on my shelf but I'm sure future generations will feel no such need to collect.

Ooo, whats that noise? I think the postie has just delivered me some more ebay 99p CD bounty. Hurrah! That'll get me down of the soapbox.

Erainn #470785 8th Feb 2011 1:00pm
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Yer there was a rox in moreton. First by where sayers is now (upton rd) and then opposite the Big House.

Shambo #470786 8th Feb 2011 1:02pm
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,195
Forum Addict
Offline
Forum Addict
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,195
Totally agree, Shambo. That's kind of the point I was making before about how people used to carry their LP's into school with them, full of pride and eager to preach the virtues of their favourite bands with their buddies.

I miss reading all the album notes, and the song lyrics. We've also lost all that fantastic art work that went into so many albums.

And as for your point about Reggae, I'm surprised they didn't have those cd's classified under "World Music".

Erainn #470790 8th Feb 2011 1:05pm
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 123
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 123
There was probe and pink moon in liverpool, but i think pink moon was late 70s early 80s. Then there was Ram records in Liscard. I remeber the basement record department in Tj hughes birkenhead used to be really good too.

Erainn #471251 9th Feb 2011 6:12pm
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 145
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 145
I bought my first single at Simpson's Spin-Inn (I think it was called) in 1971 . As I recall , they were at the top of Market Street (Argyle St end) and distinctly remember having the p*** taken out of me regarding my musical taste.Admittedly,the record was Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep but I was only 11 and thought it was the greatest record of all time.Within a couple of years though, I was painting my rucksack with the Yes logo and taking Pink Floyd and Led Zep albums into school. We may have gained a lot with sound quality and durability with CDs but there was something about the old LP covers - they were works of art in themselves.
I remember Rushworth's and Mckenzies in Birkenhead - both very good record shops and like Rox , independent dealers.There was also another independent shop in Liscard in the 70s-I can't remember the name - Music Box or Sound Box I think.They were good too.

Erainn #471269 9th Feb 2011 7:22pm
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 209
Addict
Offline
Addict
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 209
In the early 60's there was a record shop on New Chester Road, Rock Ferry, on the block between King St. & Nelson Rd. I can't remember the name of it. Anybody ?

Bob.

atw1960 #471335 9th Feb 2011 11:04pm
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 168
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by atw1960
There was also another independent shop in Liscard in the 70s-I can't remember the name - Music Box or Sound Box I think.They were good too.


There was Bargain Box in the precinct - great shop. Closed down about 1979 I think.

Stranger #471483 10th Feb 2011 5:09pm
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 145
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 145
I think that may have been a branch of Rox-they were all over the place.They had a branch on the corner of Whetstone Lane and Borough Rd and I think they had a shop in West Kirby too.So many good shops and so many memories-the internet is a great way of buying music and I always prefer CDs to MP3s but it's not the same as going into a shop and walking out with something you can hold.I suppose it's the same as the debate between books and e-readers (I'm definitely on the side of books there).

Stranger #471485 10th Feb 2011 5:22pm
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 388
Old Hand
Offline
Old Hand
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 388
Originally Posted by Stranger
There was a small independent record shop on Grange Rd roughly opposite the Co-op but I can't remember it's name for the life of me frown


I am almost 100% certain that this was a branch of Rox. There were quite a few of them around Birkenhead until the 80s. There was one on Argyle St, just up the road from (and other side to) Skeleton's second shop. Another one was on the corner of Charing Cross and Borough Rd.

I distinctly remember the Grange Rd one as they had a huge display for Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear The Reaper in the window (circa 1979). It was a large stand-up skeleton with moving scythe. I asked if it was for sale and was told rather impolitely that it was not.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
For Sale & Free
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
Member Spotlight
_Ste_
_Ste_
Skid Row
Posts: 16,348
Joined: August 2005
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
News : New Topics
New Enthusiast Forums
Deva Mental Asylum, Chester
by robbo_theman - 11th Oct 2008 11:06pm
Popular Topics(Views)
10,906,478 CW Chat room thread
6,016,852 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,724,255 Spotted!
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5