Hi there,

I am writing a novel set in Wallasey in the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s. It’s a coming-of-age story about a young woman grappling with the aftermath of her older brother’s schizophrenic breakdown.

I was initially inspired by some of Tom Wood’s photos, which led to me to researching photography in the Wirral during that period more widely. My main character is an aspiring photographer – a young woman attending Wallasey College of Art. If anyone has experiences of studying there, I would love to hear your memories, so that I can build an accurate portrayal.

Likewise, if anyone has experiences that they are willing to share related to the treatment of mental illness/schizophrenia during that time, I would be grateful for your input. I have been reading about the transition from long-term hospital admission toward ‘care in the community’, and have accounts from my extended family, but I am struggling to find material related specifically to Merseyside. 

More generally, any anecdotes or info relating to this time would be hugely appreciated. My family and I are from the Wirral, so I have lots of stories from them as context, but I was born in 1993, so did not experience this period myself!

Thanks so much.