This is the location of the Birkenhead Arms as seen on the 1909 map of Birkenhead. The triangle of buildings between Grange Lane and Lower Ivy Street, plus the timber yard and the Carnegie Library were demolished in the 1930s to make way for the tunnel. From that time onwards, the Pub
looked out right across to the tunnel entrance. The building to the right of the Pub
was a garage and filling station. This picture was almost certainly taken when the area was scheduled for demolition, as all the shops below the Birkenhead Arms in Chester Street are shuttered. The Pub
itself is also probably empty. The whole area was flattened in 1966-1967 to make way for the monstrous new flyovers.