Our Success is in our members who value our strength as a valued community.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,550
Posts1,034,381
Members15,032
Most Online244,501
May 17th, 2026
Who's Online Now
4 members (2 invisible), 28,000 guests, and 697 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,270
granny 17,811
_Ste_ 16,348
Newest Members
FrankL, Stevan, Marie1, Macca75, Jessp
15,032 Registered Users
New General Forums
?? ??????????? ?????? ?? ?????? ???? ???? ??????
by JunxinH - 29th Sep 2026 10:18am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
How long does it take to get money out on weekends
by JunxinH - 6th Sep 2026 5:18pm
New Wirral History
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
eli birkenhead market.
by cathcart - 8th Feb 2011 9:23pm
309 The Dell
by Mark - 29th Dec 2008 3:56pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
Topic Replies
Vape, Heads up
by diggingdeeper - 30th Sep 2026 8:07am
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
eli birkenhead market.
by Marie1 - 17th Sep 2026 4:25pm
309 The Dell
by diggingdeeper - 16th Sep 2026 4:18pm
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by missyb - 12th Sep 2026 3:44pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Mark - 11th Sep 2026 10:28pm
Mersey Barrage
by diggingdeeper - 11th Sep 2026 1:36pm
Family of Henry waring
by bert1 - 11th Sep 2026 9:38am
Deva Mental Asylum, Chester
by _Ste_ - 6th Sep 2026 3:30pm
September
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Mark 2
Top Likes Received
bert1 33
Mark 6
casper 4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#573389 1st Sep 2011 7:15pm
N
Nobody
Unregistered
Nobody
Unregistered
N
Just spotted it now coming out of Liverpool.

BMW 520d - should have known.

I'm pretty sure that only idiots and old people buy new these days, surely?

Well, and those that get a new car on a company car scheme.

Over the next week, all the people in our office who opt into the CC scheme will begin to receive their cars. Their A3 diesels, their 320d's, their low powered 1 series diesels and their Audi A(x) etc etc, all subject to a nice little deduction from their pay packet.

Me? Nah! Put £500 a month into my pay packet and I'll have 45p a mile allowance instead of 13p (iirc) and I'll drive a car that costs me nowhere near the £500, never mind actually paying for it...

All seems rather strange to me.

So... what 61 plate cars have you seen today?

(I predict bottom of the range diesel executive models)

The only exception to the rule are those to whom money is really no concern, if I see a 61 plate Lambo/Ferrari etc etc then fair play, well done.

Google Ads
#573397 1st Sep 2011 7:43pm
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 254
Addict
Offline
Addict
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 254
I haven't seen any!
I remember my mate getting a 1.4 8v Vectra as a company car. They only made a few 1.4's, utterly miserable.

#573399 1st Sep 2011 7:45pm
N
Nobody
Unregistered
Nobody
Unregistered
N
Some people definitely get excited about having a brand new car.

I'd rather have a 5 year old car that is better, for cheaper!

#573402 1st Sep 2011 7:52pm
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,644
Keep It Real !!
Wiki Guide
Offline
Keep It Real !!
Wiki Guide
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,644
we have a white 61 plate BMW in work and 61 plate transit lwb smile


[Linked Image from ]





#573404 1st Sep 2011 7:56pm
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 376
Old Hand
Offline
Old Hand
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 376
I bought a brand new car when I was 21, and never bought a new one since then. Sold it 12 months later and lost far too much money. I'm with you Alex buy a bit older and get a lot more.

#573405 1st Sep 2011 7:57pm
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 135
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 135
last company car was a 59 plate Merc c250 - that was nice.

Not seen any 61's yet in North Wales

Wiggi77 #573409 1st Sep 2011 8:14pm
N
Nobody
Unregistered
Nobody
Unregistered
N
Originally Posted by Wiggi77
I bought a brand new car when I was 21, and never bought a new one since then. Sold it 12 months later and lost far too much money. I'm with you Alex buy a bit older and get a lot more.


Always let someone else take the initial hit.

#573425 1st Sep 2011 8:33pm
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,355
Forum Addict
Offline
Forum Addict
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,355
Letting someone else take the initial hit is generally a good idea. However, it does rather depend on for how long you usually keep your car.

Today I took delivery of MY 61 plate car

I had the previous (seconmdhand) Landy for 11 years
Before that I had the VW for 30 years - and finally sold it for twice what I paid for it

So, if you are a 'keeper' like me then it is fair enough to go for new

Snod


5 Precepts of Buddhism seem appropriate. Refrain from taking life. Refrain from taking that which is not given. Refrain from misconduct. Refrain from lying. Refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness
#573427 1st Sep 2011 8:47pm
N
Nobody
Unregistered
Nobody
Unregistered
N
Well, what if you went for a, say, 11 plate, and kept it for years... you'd save thousands!?

#573433 1st Sep 2011 8:54pm
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,355
Forum Addict
Offline
Forum Addict
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,355
Before I went for an 11 plate I would seriously ask myself - WHY is someone selling an 11 plate vehicle?

I suppose it could have belonged to old aunty flo who hardly ever used it so the trivial mileage is correct - - but one has to wonder.

Nah, at my age I can afford a bit of new luxury (no it is not in the BM/ Merc class - came from Lookers)

Snod


5 Precepts of Buddhism seem appropriate. Refrain from taking life. Refrain from taking that which is not given. Refrain from misconduct. Refrain from lying. Refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness
#573437 1st Sep 2011 9:05pm
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,797
Wiki Veteran
Offline
Wiki Veteran
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,797
I saw a 61 plate voaxhall at arrow park today. The big one (I've forgot the name)

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,348
Likes: 1
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,348
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Robbo_theMan
we have a white 61 plate BMW in work and 61 plate transit lwb smile


Your boss offered my boss an Aston Martin DB9 with only 14k on the clock for £40k yesterday. Got some dough your boss, tell him you want a pay rise!

Also al, I wouldn't knock the BMW diesels as they can be quite quick wink


[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
_Ste_ #573467 1st Sep 2011 10:06pm
N
Nobody
Unregistered
Nobody
Unregistered
N
Originally Posted by _Ste_

Your boss offered my boss an Aston Martin DB9 with only 14k on the clock for £40k yesterday.


On a serious note, I'll likely take that if the offer still stands...

Originally Posted by _Ste_
Also al, I wouldn't knock the BMW diesels as they can be quite quick wink


I know mate, I drive a 635d Convertible quite often, brought it to one of the Wiki meets recently, quick... but lacking in anything but point and shoot boring power.

116d on the other hand... shoot me! no

#573498 2nd Sep 2011 12:03am
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 254
Addict
Offline
Addict
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 254
I wouldn't buy a brand new car, unless as Snodvan says, it was for keeps. There are a lot of nice 80's cars from new with one owner about, and it's the same thing. Some people hoard their money for years to splurge on a deposit for a car that is worth half it's retail value in a couple of years. It makes no sense.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3458025

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 197
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 197
I saw a white Quashqui (sp) 61 plate yesterday smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
For Sale & Free
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
Member Spotlight
_Ste_
_Ste_
Skid Row
Posts: 16,348
Joined: August 2005
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
News : New Topics
New Enthusiast Forums
Deva Mental Asylum, Chester
by robbo_theman - 11th Oct 2008 11:06pm
Popular Topics(Views)
10,903,145 CW Chat room thread
6,014,631 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,722,832 Spotted!
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5