WikiWirral yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,347
Posts1,033,259
Members14,550
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
8 members (3 invisible), 9,928 guests, and 517 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
JohnC, Luke2307, jharwood, TamTam, mrbigglesworth
14,550 Registered Users
New General Forums
Do we need Trident?
by derekdwc - 20th Jan 2016 1:11pm
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Looking for Joneses
by Markjon88 - 11th Apr 2019 7:06am
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 15
casper 14
bri445 4
Topic Replies
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:20pm
Gaza
by granny - 15th Mar 2024 10:13pm
Get your Money Tree ready
by StellaSimmons - 11th Mar 2024 11:50am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by bri445 - 4th Mar 2024 5:54pm
Xbox
by TudorBlue - 3rd Mar 2024 8:48pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by Abakumss - 2nd Mar 2024 3:52pm
Oleo Works
by diggingdeeper - 1st Mar 2024 11:51pm
Wiper mechanism needed
by Gibbo - 28th Feb 2024 12:29pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1053370 10th Mar 2018 9:00am
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Poor kitty has hurt foot quite badly although he is happy and jumping around and over fences as usual. Possibly broken toe or nail gone through. Hole and build up of pus according to vet. My wife wont tell me what vet estimated cost at but ive done search to get rough idea. Ouch........seems like up and down country vets can charge whatever they like . having reported it to vet you will now have rspca breathing down your neck if you dont follow through with treatment. Understand now why new vets keep opening everywhere. Unfortunately we are not eligible to use pdsa as outside their area. Faced with a vet bill that could cause financial hardship anyone know a good solicitor to deal with impending divorce !!! Wife not taken out pet insurance

Google Ads
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Suggestions
Move house, give an eligible address to PDSA, give the cat away. smile

Old Hand
Old Hand
im told the vets in hoylake with rob mcnulty has a payment plan

Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Salmon..yes all sensible ideas along with euthanasia but not sure who for..me , the wife, or cat! Had thought about the "false address" but cat is chipped which would be a give away.

Madge: good shout might be worth asking our vet

Got the kids stumping up a few quid and looking into pet insurance.....

Maybe Richard Branson could start an NHS for pets.. free at point of service and paid for by taxes...

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
You could secretly eliminate the problem with the aid of a sack, a brick and some deep water!

(No. I don't mean the vet!)

Forum Master
Forum Master
Think this a problem nowadays, and I'm very much one of the guilty ones who have I shudder to think paid a fortune with vets. My little dog had a hernia corrected amongst other things , teeth taken out, and then at thirteen developed diabetes and went blind and deaf. So attached I didn't want the let him go , in retrospect wish I had because I think he suffered.He collapsed in the end and they still wanted to do tests and try this and that. I had to make the dicision to let him go.i was traumatised with it one of the reasons I could never have another dog, couldn't go through that again..It did make me think of the old days when I was a kid , then they we're definitely just pets and if they got ill well you did what you could but that was it they just died. Don't know whether that was good or bad but no one could afford vets bills!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Excoriator
You could secretly eliminate the problem with the aid of a sack, a brick and some deep water!

(No. I don't mean the vet!)

You trying to sink the invoice?

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I can't help thinking we have our priorities quite wrong when I see the 'Supervet' on telly deploying MRI scanners ( Around £250,000 a smack plus maintenance, running cost and experts to run it) and 3d printing new custom hip joints, etc. and then installing them with a team of nurses and anaesthetists in a superbly equipped operating theatre - into a cat.

It must all cost tens of thousands of pounds, yet there are babies dying in the world for want of clean water or the simple sugar and salt solution needed to stop then dying of dehydration etc.

I've nothing against animals and think they should be treated with kindness, but going to this length with them is obscene.

People are far more important. When you take on a pet, you should be aware that it will die long before you do, or injure itself through misadventure. If you can't live with that, don't take on a pet! Before you spend ten grand on a moggie, have a little think how it might be better spent!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I know exactly where you are coming from and I struggle with what is right or wrong when it comes to how money is spent.

There are medical positives that come out of using high tech equipment for animals, these include the more freedom to try experimental techniques and increased sales of the equipment reducing costs. It is better that experimental surgery is done on patients that need it rather than breeding animals purely to experiment on.

On the other hand, someone spending £xxk on a car or a 96" TV where that money could be spent on making human lives better is equally as relevant as spending that sort of money on a pet.

Then there is the question of whether human life is more important than animal life, this is a form of self-centred greed as well.

Its a complex issue.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I think the difference is that spending huge amounts on a car or a telly is spending money on yourself. Putting yourself first, if you like, which everyone does to some extent.

But spending huge amounts on animals is clearly putting animals needs before human ones. Those people are saying my cat is more important than people.This seems far worse to me.

Whilst I don't claim animals welfare is unimportant, I don't believe they are as important as people. Also, it can lead to lunacies in terms of the conditions under which they are looked after. Animals are NOT humans and their needs and aims are NOT the same as human ones. Cats, for instance, are hunting animals. To them, hunting is as important, and they are incapable of realising that a steady diet from a human means they don't need to hunt. 'House cats' - unfortunate creatures kept inside day and night, are therefore likely to be pretty miserable creatures, constantly worried about the fact they cannot look after themselves. They are probably less contented than feral cats!

Also, I think one has to recognise that pets tend not to live very long. You have to be prepared for losing them if you take one on, and look carefully at whether joint replacements for an arthritic ten-year-old dog is going to benefit you or it much. You have to be suspicious of the motives of a vet who proposes this at the cost of thousands too.

Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Interesting posts guys. Afraid the cuddly bunny brainwashing has got to most of us.. Beatrix Potter started it.. Makes it so much harder to pop Peter Rabbit in the pot for lunch. Think your close EX. My parents had cats for years oldest one achieved about 18 with a few manky ears etc. and then left to die in piece without the vets needle and buried in the garden. Might be interesting to see what the vet would say if i just said sorry cant afford to pay that so would you put it to sleep (its a healthy happy cat with a small cut on its paw that looks to be healing )

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Amazing how humans consider themselves so self-important. We are only a another mammal!

Our only claim to fame is our supposed intellect but you only have to pick a newspaper up to show how poor our intellect is. The world is a mess thanks to our wonderful intellect.

We aren't the biggest.
We aren't the smartest.
We aren't the best hunter.
We aren't the best biological parasite.
We haven't got the best eyesight.
We haven't got the best hearing.
We haven't the best sense of smell.
We haven't got the best sense of taste.
We haven't got the best sense of touch.
We haven't got the best balance.
We aren't the strongest.
We aren't the fastest runners.
We haven't got the best stamina.
We aren't the most energy efficient.
We aren't the most resilient to weather (hot, cold, wet etc).
We can't fly.
We aren't the best swimmers.
We haven't got the best immune systems.
We aren't the most prolific breeders.
We aren't the most loyal.

In fact our only claim to fame is that we are the best destroyers.

Now who is more important? Can you give a hierarchy of importance for all types of mammals?

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
It all just comes down to personal preferences doesnt it . Thousands are spent on vanity climbing expeditions ,breaking land sea speed records , stud racing horses , buying footballers ,original paintings .No-one says " stop all those things immediately because its scandalous and immoral whilst millions have no fresh water to drink"

On a more individual level , similar thing ,most that can afford it (even some that cant!) dont think twice about buying unecessary clothes, change of furniture and accessories, eating out ,sports matches, theatre going , boozing , going out for a casual drive on expensive fuel etc etc and we dont go round accusing each other of acting in an outrageous manner wasting money which could be donated to Water Aid.

Quote Ex "I think the difference is that spending huge amounts on a car or a telly is spending money on yourself. Putting yourself first, if you like, which everyone does to some extent.
But spending huge amounts on animals is clearly putting animals needs before human ones "

Dont agree with all of that Ex. Having pets is just a different way some people enjoy themselves , and when their pet goes wrong , they want it fixed because yes THEY dont enjoy seeing something suffering but they also choose to keep a creature by them , that gives them enjoyment, pleasure, company , a reason for living in some cases .Their pleasure is with THAT particular animal . So they arent entirely putting the animals needs before their own are they because they could easily put the animal to sleep and the animal wouldnt know any different . So, maintaining pets is just an alternative pleasure choice and pet owners who shell out cannot be criticized any more than anybody else .

In fact , add to that all the stuff DD said about medical positives , then it seems to me it could be argued that the people who choose to fund their pets good health with their hard earned cash have the moral edge over those who fund the alternative pleasures I outlined which are purely hedonistic

Looking at your last post fish , Im not sure why euthansia is even on the cards if the injury is minor , and mending ? If the latter is the case, why would anyone insist you continue with a vet . Couldnt you just treat it at home keeping it pus clear, and maybe look on google regarding poultices for drawing out pus on cat sores . Tumeric comes to mind,and Manuka honey too, but youd have to research their use to see if appropriate and use bandages to prevent over ingestion I guess . You can always return to plan B if cat doesnt properly recover. Also if you do use a vet dont forget its sometimes cheaper to get a prescription and buy over the internet.

Regarding some vets and some charging, Id put them in the same catagory as loan sharks. I think they need some sort of better regulation .Theres profit , and there's profiteering

The question in your last post DD is too hard to answer lol - which is your whole point , I know.

Last edited by venice; 11th Mar 2018 8:13pm.
Wiki Addict
Wiki Addict
Bottom line is.....Think before you take any pet on .Yes there will be vet bills and the buying of food ,flea treatments ,worm tablets etc.It cost a fortune.

@Fish ,I think your cat had a abscess on its paw for puss to come out he/she must have been in a lot of pain.Although through time it would have burst itself and the cat would have cleaned it too .

Forum Master
Forum Master
If my pet gets a cut I wash it in lukewarm water & sea salt dry it then put sudocrem on it.If it got worse then it's the vet,I spent a lot of money on Misty in the last couple of years but I would of gone without for her.I did get a lot of her medication online but it was the toe removal & aftercare that cost but it was worth it so she could walk without pain & to have her happy again even if it was only for a few months.

no1s gonna keep me from u
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Xbox
by TudorBlue - 3rd Mar 2024 8:48pm
Possible Cause of Dementia
by diggingdeeper - 22nd Feb 2024 2:08am
Wiper mechanism needed
by Peter0787 - 20th Feb 2024 4:07pm
For Sale & Free
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
Floral pavilion promo code?
by TheComputerLab - 31st Dec 2018 2:11pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am
New Enthusiast Forums
Xbox