WikiWirral Wirral's Biggest Online Forum
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,550
Posts1,034,382
Members15,032
Most Online244,501
May 17th, 2026
Who's Online Now
4 members (2 invisible), 27,703 guests, and 545 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,270
granny 17,811
_Ste_ 16,348
Newest Members
FrankL, Stevan, Marie1, Macca75, Jessp
15,032 Registered Users
New General Forums
?? ??????????? ?????? ?? ?????? ???? ???? ??????
by JunxinH - 29th Sep 2026 10:18am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
How long does it take to get money out on weekends
by JunxinH - 6th Sep 2026 5:18pm
New Wirral History
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
eli birkenhead market.
by cathcart - 8th Feb 2011 9:23pm
309 The Dell
by Mark - 29th Dec 2008 3:56pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 6
Topic Replies
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 30th Sep 2026 11:05am
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
eli birkenhead market.
by Marie1 - 17th Sep 2026 4:25pm
309 The Dell
by diggingdeeper - 16th Sep 2026 4:18pm
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by missyb - 12th Sep 2026 3:44pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Mark - 11th Sep 2026 10:28pm
Mersey Barrage
by diggingdeeper - 11th Sep 2026 1:36pm
Family of Henry waring
by bert1 - 11th Sep 2026 9:38am
Deva Mental Asylum, Chester
by _Ste_ - 6th Sep 2026 3:30pm
September
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Mark 2
Top Likes Received
bert1 33
Mark 6
casper 4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#923881 27th Jan 2015 2:56pm
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 89
Reno37 Offline OP
Member
OP Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 89
Hi!

All you knowledgeable people out there, I have been researching and found loads of photos relating to the old Birkenhead Town Railway Station and the Haymarket Tunnels on what I am told formed part of the old Birkenhead Dock line . Does anyone know if tours are available of the line, tunnels etc, as I would love to visit the area to further my knowledge. Or does anyone know whom I would contact to ask permission to visit the tunnels.

Many Thanks. Tony

Google Ads
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,222
Forum Veteran
Online Content
Forum Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,222
Not heard of a tour except a wikiwirral UE

CLICK



Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,487
Likes: 1
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Offline
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,487
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Reno37
Hi!

All you knowledgeable people out there, I have been researching and found loads of photos relating to the old Birkenhead Town Railway Station and the Haymarket Tunnels on what I am told formed part of the old Birkenhead Dock line . Does anyone know if tours are available of the line, tunnels etc, as I would love to visit the area to further my knowledge. Or does anyone know whom I would contact to ask permission to visit the tunnels.

Many Thanks. Tony
I can do you a tour if you want one mate grin


[Linked Image] Please do not adjust your mind, there is a slight problem with reality
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 526
Likes: 1
Smartchild
Offline
Smartchild
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 526
Likes: 1
If we told you we would have to kill you. Seriously though you can walk up to the gated entrances and have a look in but i think they are far more secure than they used to be. The woodside bus depot end is all sealed in concrete so nothing to see at that end. The waterloo is a good mooch though.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3
Beginner
Offline
Beginner
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3
HI Tony!Someone in work was asking me about Birkenhead Town station the other day, and i said I swore I had some colour shots taken in the 1960's , before the line was lifted, but I could'nt find them! do you know if there are any on here?any info, gratefully received.

Thanks, Dean

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 367
Old Hand
Offline
Old Hand
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 367

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 239
Likes: 1
Addict
Offline
Addict
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 239
Likes: 1
Dean - there's a couple of colour ones of Town here on Wiki: Clicky
...might be the ones you're thinking of?

Any shots of Town station are very rare, and I haven't seen any colour ones apart from these. Fascinating Station - I must have passed the remains travelling out of Woodside many times as a lad, but I have no recollection of seeing it at all.


Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come.
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 11
Newbeee
Offline
Newbeee
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 11
Really sad that there's so little evidence of the station itself. Don't go wandering round the site alone - there's a ton of used needles and other smackhead paraphenalia, it's a bit of a chav hangout.

I've got a couple of photos up, if they're any use!

Haymarket Tunnel

[Linked Image]


[Linked Image]



Monks Tunnel:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]


PS: If you're interested in an, ahem, 'unguided tour'...I think the Dock Branch is still technically under possession of Network Rail, meaning trespass is a criminal offence rather than civil. I very much doubt it'd ever be an issue, but worth mentioning all the same! It's not as though they could actually run a train along it...

Last edited by Mark; 7th Feb 2015 8:15pm. Reason: public entrance removed

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
For Sale & Free
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral, Cheshire
Posts: 14,577
Joined: July 2008
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
News : New Topics
New Enthusiast Forums
Deva Mental Asylum, Chester
by robbo_theman - 11th Oct 2008 11:06pm
Popular Topics(Views)
10,903,759 CW Chat room thread
6,014,939 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,722,968 Spotted!
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5