Our Success is in our members who value our strength as a valued community.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,365
Posts1,033,330
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (Benieclaws, 1 invisible), 10,060 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
The History of Wallasey Village
by PaulWirral - 1st Jul 2009 6:03pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
lincle 4
Topic Replies
Looking for an old engine
by TheComputerLab - 27th Apr 2024 3:11pm
Car paint jobs
by TheComputerLab - 27th Apr 2024 3:09pm
Wanted Gardener
by kimpri - 27th Apr 2024 6:45am
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
offtopic

Google Ads
P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted by granny
I genuinely believe this country is becoming an intolerant, and judgemental maelstrom of hate, and that, in my humble opinion, is very sad.

OK ,24424m, maybe I have missed some of your points but the threads you write are somewhat laborious to wade through. So here's another one.
Can't agree with your above comment. We are probably one of the most tolerant countries in the world, to every other one, apart from our own. I genuinely believe that we are having far too many changes thrust upon us over a relatively short period of time, and we are beginning to suffer from 'overload' which we are all fighting back at, as it's our natural way of survival.
Our tollerance has diminished considerably. When saying a short period of time, I mean the last 15 to 20 years, continuous change. None of us knows how to deal with it anymore, we are unable to speak openly about so much now, for ethical reasons. We can't critisize, we can't have an opinion over something that is viewed as intolerant or predjudiced by others who may feel offended.People, I am sure sit in their own front room saying some pretty racist comments unheard by the outside world. We are who we are, and too much change, I believe, is leading to bitterness and turning us against our own. There is a name for that I think, but I can't remember it. We are becoming like caged animals. The same applies to most of the european countries. Speak to people from France, Holland, Spain etc. They have very much the same problems for the very same reasons and they too are not heard. We do not hear about what is really going on in those countries, unless we search for it.The people of Greece are in dire straights, far, far, worse than here, we don't hear their voice at the moment becuase it's not chosen for us, that we do.
We are a tolerant nation and also very fair but as posted above, I think we are getting closer the 'neighbour against neighbour' as we have been pushed to the limits by succesive Governments.
By the way, for those who did not vote in the last general election , I feel, should not be making any negative comments about the Government of the day. It was, indirectly, your choice.

p.s Why don't you have a name like 'billy' much easier to identify with, rather than a number, which is another step forward to loosing any identity you may have had? Please can you adopt the more 'understandable' vocabulary in your posts? I can't understand what you're saying!

Also think there are a number of spelling errors in this, but can't be assed anymore to deal with them ! [/quote]

withthat
Spot on Granny. I quite agree.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Oh dear no

Making it difficult by filling in the blanks ,wrongly! I was absolutely not suggesting that intolerance to immigrants is ok. I was making a point that people behind closed doors are more often than not different people on the outside. Living a lie, you might say for appearances sake, because they have been forced to do so but don't necessarily believe or want to take onboard all that is expeced of them, and definitely not, only the net curtain brigade.
Please don't make accusations about me having a problem with people of a different colour to me.
Do you konw anything about me? You have assumed you know my family tree and you do not know my friends!

Memories of when I was in Greece in the 1970's when the junta were in power. It was a crime to play cards within your own home. You couldn't run to catch a bus, as you would have been thought of as mad. No one whistled as that was another clause in the list of can do and can't do. Intimidation, by the powers that be. In this country, we now have intimidation toward each other and it's not a very nice place we live in any longer.
We have the same here now. If you don't agree with certain social issues you get slandered. If you should dare to say that seeing same sex couples kissing makes you feel queezy, it's twisted around somehow in an attempt to make one feel guilty! wink If someone feels that benefits are not distributed according to someone elses ideas, people get extremely defensive and quite often nasty. Making belittling remarks about people with manicured gardens and net curtains is typical of those who can not come up with a reasonable comment.Most of us are guilty, even those in high places make mocking remarks making themselves feel better and that is the unfortunate culture we have now. Generally, people are fighting their corner all the time from the poorest to the curtain twitchers who put a lot into communities to help those who are in need , so please don't make them YOUR easy targets! You are just trying to be someone you are not for the benefit of others, which I think is exactly where I started this post tonight.
Anyway Billy, I thank you for making your vocabulary more user friendly, and despite all things I think you are quite human underneath your exterior.

Somehow Billy, I have a feeling I've met you before somewhere?

Sorry CVCVCV, I just had to reply...in the nicest possible way!

This is now offtopic tease

Last edited by granny; 8th Feb 2013 9:44pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by 24424m
Phew, that was a somewhat laborious rant Granny, skirting around the edges of racist views - that is where you were going with that wasn't it, suggesting intolerance towards immigrants is okay?

I do agree, this country has traditionally been tolerant, and that's my point really - that as a nation, we a rapidly losing that liberal tolerance that once defined us, in favour of intolerance, hate, and generalized detractions of certain groups & easy targets, as though they can be defined as a whole by the actions of some. That very notion is as ridiculous as labelling the wikiwirral community as "all the same".

There is certainly many an unhealthy view harboured behind respectable net curtains and neatly manicured lawns these days, but I guess some people would suggest that was alright, as the sources are deemed to be "pillars of the community".

So apart from issues with some people who are a different colour to you, have a different sexual orientation to you (which apparently makes you queezy) and benefits claimants, is there anything else bothering you Granny, apart from apparently my username that is wink ?

You've got a nerve. choosing what interpretation to put on Granny's comments.
For my part, I believe that there are limits to tolerance and that self-preservation is a deep rooted and valid survival strategy. If I were to believe that thousands of immigrants from Eastern Europe who now have membership of the European Community are about to descend on us in order to take advantage of our benefit system, then I would feel entitled to complain.
So now, come and have a go at me. I will either ignore you or give as good as I get: my choice.

Carpe diem.
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
If you have not worked it out yet then let me explain. 24424m is just a "professional" devil's advocate.He will always argue about anything simply for something to do.There is no point whatsoever in entering in to a debate with him as he simply raises different points in every post.Best to ignore him and let him study his own navel.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Granny,

You are quite correct, I don't know anything about you or your friends, some of whom are no doubt black, and I do apologize for making unwarranted assumptions, based on scant information off an internet forum, plus generalizations about what you believe or the content of your character........ it's not a nice feeling is it, to be unjustly labelled pejoratively?

I wouldn't normally get personal on an internet forum, but in this case, I thought it made an important point, as let's be honest, this whole thread has been about much more that benefits cheats, it has been about bigotry, intolerance, assumptions & generalizations.

Back on topic, yes, some people cheat the benefits system, and they deserve to face the consequences of their dishonesty. However, to use that as a starting point in the debate about the level of benefits in general is disingenuous, as I am confident the OP fully appreciates.

Of course there is a separate debate to be had regarding whether it is moral or ethical to further cut benefits, and to consider the potential social fall-out from this intended course of action. I firmly believe this is no more than an ideological attack by the Tories, and to be morally repugnant, as well as counter-productive - you, of course, may disagree.

In conclusion though, what I would urge anyone reading this to consider is before condemning any given group en masse, be it a minority group or benefits claimants in this instance, is whether it is reasonable in all the circumstances to automatically judge the entirety by the actions of those at the margins, or alternatively, whether perhaps unsubstantiated / received information may be clouding the bigger picture. For me, any thought process which relies excessively on the actions of a minority to judge the majority is, by definition, tantamount to prejudice.

P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
After reading the previous post, I am losing the will to live!

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
At least you managed to read it all Pinz. I fell asleep half way through.

Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
I know the feeling.Just wondering if Grampa George will be able to take it all in,With him having such a short memory.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by Salmon
If you have not worked it out yet then let me explain. 24424m is just a "professional" devil's advocate.He will always argue about anything simply for something to do.There is no point whatsoever in entering in to a debate with him as he simply raises different points in every post.Best to ignore him and let him study his own navel.

Thanks for the tip, Salmon; I do propose to ignore him.

Carpe diem.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Each to their own opinions
Freedom of speech.
You can't have a debate if everyone's on the same side

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by 24424m
Granny,

You are quite correct, I don't know anything about you or your friends, some of whom are no doubt black, ..

Why black? Some are green with wings and, just because you haven't seen 'green with wings' doesn't mean they don't exist, Billy.

Last edited by granny; 9th Feb 2013 5:14pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
If you read this forum you'll think all 9483 Registered Users have jobs but if that's the case why do we always hear that wirral is one of the places with the most people on the dole.
learn think

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran

trolls if left unchallenged would run amok like a disease...as mentioned by a few on here they already slow down debate, cause running arguments, highlight the divide of opinion and in my opinion, cause people to set their beliefs in stone because of the polarisation they try to cause, perhaps before some people have reviewed the matter enough to actually know what they believe.. all in the 'quest' of proof..when they get proof or find they cant refute any more, they simply exit the thread and start again on another thread...They are the malignant cells of the body forum...whats more they know it and revel in it..Free speech is a commodity that has never really existed..its the unicorn of the equine world..challenge the trolls but not seriously..if they are made figurers of fun they sink into their own clown shoes..

Last edited by Mark; 29th Mar 2013 11:43am. Reason: personal statement removed

Uncertainty or not knowing causes depression, Im happy because I know I'm going to die one day!
Addict
Addict
How many large employers have now gone from Wirral.When I left school in 1974 you could try lots of jobs before choosing which one you stayed with.I watched the Tonight programme on ITV 7.30pm
there was a lad on there, trying to find work .I ask you to watch it and then judge people who you consider to be benefit cheats or Scroungers.We are all guilty at times, of making judgements that are wrong,and yes there will be some people who seem to know how to milk the system ,but the vast majority are people who would love to be in work, if we had the manufacturing jobs that were once here and the related business that existed beside them .

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,831 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,018,165 Spotted!