WikiWirral is where great friendships are made.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,372
Posts1,033,353
Members14,590
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (2 invisible), 3,783 guests, and 468 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Pasttraveller, LiamW1897, EricB, H2OH2O, Jasontodd
14,590 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Grange Road Co-Op
by Erainn - 6th May 2024 3:08pm
ST Hugh Birkenhead and Maris Stella NB
by terrier - 20th Apr 2023 7:33pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
233 Caledonia Inn 68 Market Street
by derekdwc - 6th Jan 2009 12:32am
Top Posters(30 Days)
lincle 4
granny 3
Topic Replies
Grange Road Co-Op
by bert1 - 6th May 2024 5:18pm
233 Caledonia Inn 68 Market Street
by diggingdeeper - 5th May 2024 6:13pm
ST Hugh Birkenhead and Maris Stella NB
by gregory66 - 5th May 2024 5:57am
garage wanted
by diggingdeeper - 4th May 2024 2:01pm
Looking for an old engine
by diggingdeeper - 3rd May 2024 2:36pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 3rd May 2024 12:55pm
What song are you listening to?
by GaryFromWirral - 3rd May 2024 5:36am
Plastic sheds
by muzzy2 - 2nd May 2024 2:41pm
Hi to everyone
by casper - 30th Apr 2024 6:59pm
May
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by Grandpa_George
My opinion on this, is there are too many claimants sitting around on their fat arses, smoking their cigarettes, drinking their alcohol surrounded by cats and dogs, complaining they don't get enough benefits. These are the people who make the whole benefit system look a complete mess. Yes there are genuine people who need help with benefits but there are a lot more who work the system and drain whatever they can out of it without putting anything back in.

BUT......Re Chris Huhne:

It's not the crime of the century, I think a lot of people would have done the same thing.

Crime is Crime! Or is it because he is/was an MP? Both paid for by the tax paying members of the public!!

I don't understand your thinking think

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Google Ads
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by Wench
My opinion on this, is there are too many claimants sitting around on their fat arses, smoking their cigarettes, drinking their alcohol surrounded by cats and dogs, complaining they don't get enough benefits. These are the people who make the whole benefit system look a complete mess. Yes there are genuine people who need help with benefits but there are a lot more who work the system and drain whatever they can out of it without putting anything back in.

BUT......Re Chris Huhne:

It's not the crime of the century, I think a lot of people would have done the same thing.

Crime is Crime! Or is it because he is/was an MP? Both paid for by the tax paying members of the public!!

I don't understand your thinking think

withthat

Smartchild
Smartchild
Can i ask something? what if you knew someone was cheating the system would you blow the whistle on them?

Be honest would you?

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Originally Posted by Candlyfloss
Can i ask something? what if you knew someone was cheating the system would you blow the whistle on them?

Be honest would you?

would you?

Does your vacuum suck? Get a Dyson!!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by 24424m

It's not all you've said though is it?

Originally Posted by chriskay
......I have no evidence that abuse is rife, but I personally believe that it is......

So you don't know how inaccurate the government figures are, and you acknowledge you have no evidence that abuse is rife, and yet you cling to your point!

How many cases are you personally aware of then, and have you taken any action to report them?

Smells like prejudice to me, when I look at the dictionary definition as: "an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand, or without knowledge, thought or reason".

Still, to be fair, I guess only you can honestly appraise your motives.

Yes, I do believe that there are many undetected abusers of the system. The reason I come to this conclusion is that there are, from time to time, well publicised cases of abusers being detected. I find it impossible to believe that all cases are detected, therefore there are other undetected cases.
My "motive" is to complain about the system being abused, to the detriment of genuine cases; i.e. that because abuse is known to occur, all claimants are under suspicion.
I have no personal knowledge of abuse of the system; rest assured that if I discover a case, I will certainly report it. There was a case only today of a farmer who claimed incapacity unjustifiably and over a period collected £100,000. He got 18 months jail. It wasn't reported whether he has to repay the money; I hope so. This happened in the Midlands and probably only made the local news.
As long as cases like this appear, I will continue to believe that more go undetected; do you not agree?

Carpe diem.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Handy Guide for The Wiki Wannabe Fraud Squad raftl

http://campaigns.dwp.gov.uk/campaigns/benefit-thieves/whatis.asp

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
sherlock is alive and working lol

ALWAYS REMEMBER BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU:::::::: Have a nice day and an even better one tomorrow
Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Handy Guide for The Wiki Wannabe Fraud Squad raftl

http://campaigns.dwp.gov.uk/campaigns/benefit-thieves/whatis.asp
VERY WITTY RUDEBOX!!!!!!!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by chriskay
However (and I've mentioned this before in an earlier post), the figure for fraud, given in the article as "not rising beyond 3%", is clearly inaccurate since it obviously cannot include those who cheat the system and go undetected. It's certain that the true figure is greater but because, by definition, there are no statistics, we don't know what it is.

...... but if, as you say, the government cannot include those who cheat but go undetected, is it not a bit convenient for you to infer it is a statistically significant amount? By definition, if they are undetected, how do you know whether there are a large amount of such cases, or whether they are negligible?

To suggest the government figures are significantly inaccurate can be no more than speculation, and I would question why you would wish to speculate in this particular manner.

I can't understand why you seem to be exteremely protective of those who cheat the benefit system! There can't possiby be any correct figures and I assume you have been in a position to have experience and are able make the counter claim, of what others might know as fact.
To be protective of such, would indicate that you DO NOT have the best interests of the struggling, benefit claimants, at heart. So your contirbution comes across as not very genuine. IMHO
You seem to be very good at your fancy words and long drawn out reasoning, but I find your posts a bit boring, as they are a bit too repetative.A lot like articles from a 'political author' of a local rag.

With reference to Pokerchamp's post I would say that others should have experience on front-line services provided by councils. Eyes could well be opened.... many times, it does not go unnoticed.

Talking about Benefit Cheats not the struggling Benefit Claimants.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Addict
OP Offline
Addict

Be honest would you?

Yes I would shop them, why should they be claiming for what their not entitled too and sitting around on there backsides not even trying to find work.

I like this statement from Rudebox's link.

It’s not if we catch you, it’s when. And when we do, you could face a prison sentence.

withthat this is very true Mr Rudebox, thanks for the link.

Last edited by Grandpa_George; 6th Feb 2013 2:27pm.
Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by kimpri1

Be honest would you?

would you?
Cheeky,am asking the questions.

Guardian
Guardian
People are just trying to get by on the pittence people get from the goverment, cameron is quick enough giving people the push...police..firemen..nurses..armed forces...shops closing by the dozens..yet he complains there are too many on benefits???you cant have it both ways cameron...how about you lot of greedy mp's claiming for all sorts of goodies for your big houses (and they have millions of ££££'s) but nothing is done....then cameron wants more money taken from the poorest, yet it was mp's who got us in this mess in the first place so why cant they take a huge drop in wages instead of wanting a pay rise of £30,000+ and asking everyone to pay for there mistakes...
the cheek of it, if i knew someone cheating the system i would not grass them up...if its good enough for the mp,s its good enough for everyone...

Last edited by brady; 6th Feb 2013 5:49pm.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by granny
I can't understand why you seem to be exteremely protective of those who cheat the benefit system! There can't possiby be any correct figures and I assume you have been in a position to have experience and are able make the counter claim, of what others might know as fact.
To be protective of such, would indicate that you DO NOT have the best interests of the struggling, benefit claimants, at heart. So your contirbution comes across as not very genuine. IMHO
You seem to be very good at your fancy words and long drawn out reasoning, but I find your posts a bit boring, as they are a bit too repetative.A lot like articles from a 'political author' of a local rag....

To me, benefit fraud is repugnant, as is tax avoidance / evasion ....

Don't get me wrong, anybody abusing the system should rightly be condemned, but to use an emotive stereotype, which plays on the prejudices and fears of the uninformed, is disingenuous, and very damaging to the majority of benefits claimants.

I don't think anybody would reasonably defend benefits cheats, unless possibly their actions were borne out of utter desperation.....

Back to cheats, of course this is wrong and needs to be stamped out....

The people who play the system deserve to suffer the consequences of their action. I don't believe that to be in dispute.

Granny,

I fear you have completely missed my point.

My posts were in no way intended to be protective of those who cheat the benefits system, and if you care to re-read them (if that's not too boring for you? wink ) I am confident you will belatedly appreciate that.

My objection is in relation to sweeping statements, inferring or explicitly stating that the majority of benefits claimants are cheating. There is little basis or evidence for this claim, and yet it seems to have pervaded into public consciousness, certainly amongst some of the contributors to this thread anyway.

The reason I view that unsubstantiated standpoint as dangerous is because it inevitably stigmatizes genuine benefits claimants, and that is exactly what this manipulative and malevolent government intended. That way, they can make their ideological attack on the poor and vulnerable with minimal opposition, and instead of being forced to confront the very real hardship, and danger, they are placing people in, they can merely write them off as scroungers, or an underclass undeserving of compassion. The reality, of course, is that this is far from the truth, but the Tories tactic of choice is to divide and conquer by repeating their mantra of misinformation until it becomes accepted wisdom. Not very subtle, but alas it seems to be working, and that, Granny, is why I have been at pains during this debate to refute observations that simply regurgitate received information as fact.

What next for people whispering in the shadows, detracting easy targets and minorities? Maybe "those ethnic minorities" or "those gays" are next on the radar for unjustified slur and attack!

I genuinely believe this country is becoming an intolerant, and judgemental maelstrom of hate, and that, in my humble opinion, is very sad.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I genuinely believe this country is becoming an intolerant, and judgemental maelstrom of hate, and that, in my humble opinion, is very sad. [/quote]

OK ,24424m, maybe I have missed some of your points but the threads you write are somewhat laborious to wade through. So here's another one.
Can't agree with your above comment. We are probably one of the most tolerant countries in the world, to every other one, apart from our own. I genuinely believe that we are having far too many changes thrust upon us over a relatively short period of time, and we are beginning to suffer from 'overload' which we are all fighting back at, as it's our natural way of survival.
Our tollerance has diminished considerably. When saying a short period of time, I mean the last 15 to 20 years, continuous change. None of us knows how to deal with it anymore, we are unable to speak openly about so much now, for ethical reasons. We can't critisize, we can't have an opinion over something that is viewed as intolerant or predjudiced by others who may feel offended.People, I am sure sit in their own front room saying some pretty racist comments unheard by the outside world. We are who we are, and too much change, I believe, is leading to bitterness and turning us against our own. There is a name for that I think, but I can't remember it. We are becoming like caged animals. The same applies to most of the european countries. Speak to people from France, Holland, Spain etc. They have very much the same problems for the very same reasons and they too are not heard. We do not hear about what is really going on in those countries, unless we search for it.The people of Greece are in dire straights, far, far, worse than here, we don't hear their voice at the moment becuase it's not chosen for us, that we do.
We are a tolerant nation and also very fair but as posted above, I think we are getting closer the 'neighbour against neighbour' as we have been pushed to the limits by succesive Governments.
By the way, for those who did not vote in the last general election , I feel, should not be making any negative comments about the Government of the day. It was, indirectly, your choice.

p.s Why don't you have a name like 'billy' much easier to identify with, rather than a number, which is another step forward to loosing any identity you may have had? Please can you adopt the more 'understandable' vocabulary in your posts? I can't understand what you're saying!

Also think there are a number of spelling errors in this, but can't be assed anymore to deal with them !

Last edited by granny; 8th Feb 2013 10:45am.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Phew, that was a somewhat laborious rant Granny, skirting around the edges of racist views - that is where you were going with that wasn't it, suggesting intolerance towards immigrants is okay?

I do agree, this country has traditionally been tolerant, and that's my point really - that as a nation, we a rapidly losing that liberal tolerance that once defined us, in favour of intolerance, hate, and generalized detractions of certain groups & easy targets, as though they can be defined as a whole by the actions of some. That very notion is as ridiculous as labelling the wikiwirral community as "all the same".

There is certainly many an unhealthy view harboured behind respectable net curtains and neatly manicured lawns these days, but I guess some people would suggest that was alright, as the sources are deemed to be "pillars of the community".

So apart from issues with some people who are a different colour to you, have a different sexual orientation to you (which apparently makes you queezy) and benefits claimants, is there anything else bothering you Granny, apart from apparently my username that is wink ?

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Grange Road Co-Op
by Erainn - 6th May 2024 3:08pm
garage wanted
by robin47 - 3rd May 2024 5:53pm
Plastic sheds
by muzzy2 - 2nd May 2024 2:41pm
turkish sofa
by Jasontodd - 29th Apr 2024 8:24pm
italian furniture
by Jasontodd - 29th Apr 2024 7:07pm
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
Gibbo
Gibbo
Formby
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Help Needed for Virginia Creeper Removal
by Rinchen - 28th Apr 2024 2:08pm
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
News : New Topics