WikiWirral values you and your opinion.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,550
Posts1,034,386
Members15,032
Most Online244,501
May 17th, 2026
Who's Online Now
5 members (1 invisible), 24,524 guests, and 766 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,270
granny 17,811
_Ste_ 16,348
Newest Members
FrankL, Stevan, Marie1, Macca75, Jessp
15,032 Registered Users
New General Forums
?? ??????????? ?????? ?? ?????? ???? ???? ??????
by JunxinH - 29th Sep 2026 10:18am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
New Wirral History
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
eli birkenhead market.
by cathcart - 8th Feb 2011 9:23pm
309 The Dell
by Mark - 29th Dec 2008 3:56pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 7
Marie1 1
Topic Replies
Vape, Heads up
by diggingdeeper - 6th Oct 2026 7:56am
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
eli birkenhead market.
by Marie1 - 17th Sep 2026 4:25pm
309 The Dell
by diggingdeeper - 16th Sep 2026 4:18pm
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by missyb - 12th Sep 2026 3:44pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Mark - 11th Sep 2026 10:28pm
Mersey Barrage
by diggingdeeper - 11th Sep 2026 1:36pm
Family of Henry waring
by bert1 - 11th Sep 2026 9:38am
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Mark 2
Top Likes Received
bert1 33
Mark 6
casper 4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,558
kimpri Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,558


Does your vacuum suck? Get a Dyson!!


Google Ads
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,315
Likes: 1
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,315
Likes: 1
I aint paid it for nearly 4 years anyway. All they do is send you a letter every now and again saying you will be investigated - which never happens.

Even if they knocked, they have to ask your permission before you let them in, and you can refuse them permission. They have to be refused permission on 3 seperate occasions before they can apply for a court warrant to enter your premises - they still need to know though, and you still need answer - they are not allowed to break and enter.

The fabled "detector vans" are a load of bollox as well.

I refuse to pay my license fee whilst the BBC waste so much money on the likes of Jonathan Ross etc, I don't mind the guy, but he, and nobody else on the BBC, is worth £12 million per year, or anything like that. If they can get it from a commercial broadcaster, then they can go and get it for all I care.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,844
Likes: 33
Wiki Veteran
Offline
Wiki Veteran
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,844
Likes: 33
I'll stop paying for my TV licence when all the lawyers, solicitors, barristers and law judges stop getting theirs, because if those buggers are still getting them, then you know you need to have one. I can't see them getting one if legally they didn't have to.


God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.


Bertieone.
P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
Bert - you have a valid point there. I had a trawl through one of the websites advocating non-payment etc. Whereas it "appears" to be a good wheez, how come no one has tried it on ? IF they have, I've not seen it reported in the press or on the idiot's lantern. Maybe have had a "D Notice" slapped on it ??

With the exception of our recent birthday girl (Hi.J.) most of the legal profession, being crooks in Zoot Suits, would have sussed out a way around it by now.

Just my 2d's worth.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,579
Likes: 39
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,579
Likes: 39
Its good how some myths become fact when it is individual's pecuniary interests.

I think tpuc are a classic case of a mass wind-up.


There's a real danger that the left will drag Britain back to the 1970s, with secure well-paid jobs, ample housing, properly-funded NHS and social care, free tuition, student grants, final salary pensions, affordable rail fares and fabulous films and music. David Osland 2025

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,222
Forum Veteran
Online Content
Forum Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,222
I like this T shirt they're selling I think

Attached Images
Ithink_01.jpg
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,683
Wiki Guide
Offline
Wiki Guide
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,683
My girlfriend didn't pay her's. It's just a joke when she had a 14" TV used for playstation and we can't receive analogue signal here as a big hill blocked the signal.
Anyway, a policeman turns up and arrests her and she's put in the cell overnight till her court hearing in the morning, but I came and paid to get her out (basically the amount of a TV licence).
She pays it now, but I'd never do it if I had a TV as I can't warrant paying 120+ for what amounts to probably 10 hours worth of BBC per year, it's totally unbalanced and ridiculous. There's too many channels, and while I think BBC is probably the best, it's not value for money at all.
I can't see the govt nationalising it, as it's a form of possible propaganda advertising for them.


"C20 LET bang"
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,683
Wiki Guide
Offline
Wiki Guide
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,683
Also, as said, the 'tracker vans' are a load of bollocks. How the govt can advertise such blatant lies. How can they possibly trace something that doesn't transmit anything?


"C20 LET bang"
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,579
Likes: 39
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,579
Likes: 39
Sorry guys, I knew two people who used to work on the tracker vans for the Home Office, I have also been in the vans and seen them work. That is going back 20 years ago.

TV's do transmit signals although fairly weak, but because of the relatively short distance to the detector van, they can be received.

To give you an idea of how sensitive equipment can be, I used to receive signals from a satellite that only had a ONE TENTH of a WATT transmitter using a small handheld receiver. The satellite was 540km above earth. I still have tapes I recorded of this satellite albeit these recordings were using slightly better equipment than the handheld unit, but these were receiving the satellite from distances of over 500 miles.

Whether the modern day detector vans are bluff or not, I do not know, it is interesting that one of the internet sites that claims the vans are bluff, also goes to some trouble to give details of what areas the vans are operating in.


There's a real danger that the left will drag Britain back to the 1970s, with secure well-paid jobs, ample housing, properly-funded NHS and social care, free tuition, student grants, final salary pensions, affordable rail fares and fabulous films and music. David Osland 2025

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 108
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 108
If you don't let them into your house to see you have a TV, and you write them a letter saying you don't have a TV, and you withdrawal their (I believe its called) 'assumed right of access' and you say you will request any further communication to cease, and any more letters you will take them to court over harrassment, I'm pretty sure they leave you alone... they have never had a successful prosecution using 'detector van' evidence alone, its always been their 'enforcement officers' seeing a TV in the window, or you letting them and them seeing a working TV in the house...
might I also add, that if you only use a TV for DVD's and game consoles, de-tune your telly from all channels, manually tune each one to a frequency that doesn't receive any sound or picture, and tell them this, let them in to check the signals on each of the channels... make sure there's no antenna cable in the back...
If they go through and search for a signal, or ask for you to plug the telly into an antenna, they are modifying the current installation and are therefore 'installing' equipment, enabling you to get TV.
If you look carefully at the small print, the license fee is only required if you watch or record 'live' tv.... so if you can somehow delay the signal by 20 seconds, you wouldn't need to pay a license fee, nor would you need one if your TV was hooked up to a computer, and was used only for the BBC iPlayer, which shows recorded shows, not TV as its broadcast live.

I didn't pay my license fee for 3 years when I lived in my previous flat, as I never watched live TV, and used my telly for games, DVD's, and had it hooked up to the PC. And I had the telly licensing people in twice a year to check my channels, I eventually found out how to keep them away.
Tell them you don't need one (they will want to check this but they don't have to. Why ask a question you aren't going to believe the answer to anyway?)
Tell them they aren't welcome on your property.
Tell them they are harassing you by sending further letters.
Also something I said that might have helped, tell them that you have CCTV of your property, and their 'officers' visiting your house will have their pictures taken and posted all over the internet on anti-tv license websites.

I haven't heard from them in 6 months.

Alternatively, you can log into their website, and update your details... tell them you are moving overseas.... this will get your name off their register, which they will then send letters to 'the current occupier'.... which you can just ignore, they can't convict someone if they don't have a name. (you must remove your name from the public register with the council tax people if you want to go down this route... laugh

Happy dodging. (not dogging... lmao)

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,579
Likes: 39
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,579
Likes: 39
Delaying the signal still doesn't get round the licence, you are still receiving the signal live at the input to the delay.

It is the receiving without a licence that is illegal, not the viewing!


There's a real danger that the left will drag Britain back to the 1970s, with secure well-paid jobs, ample housing, properly-funded NHS and social care, free tuition, student grants, final salary pensions, affordable rail fares and fabulous films and music. David Osland 2025

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
For Sale & Free
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral, Cheshire
Posts: 14,579
Joined: July 2008
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
News : New Topics
New Enthusiast Forums
Popular Topics(Views)
10,907,082 CW Chat room thread
6,017,249 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,724,594 Spotted!
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5