St Pauls C of E Church is seen in Argyle Street on the corner of Market Street in 1906.
Erected in 1867 and consecrated the following year, it cost c.£5,000 to build. Due to demand, it was enlarged in 1883 at a cost of £4,300 and had 1,200 sittings.
The building was demolished just after the Second World War.
The flying flag in the distance was above the New Theatre Royal which opened in 1864.
By popular demand, the live theatre gave way to movies when the building was converted to the Scala Cinema in 1921.