Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,347
Posts1,033,259
Members14,550
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
8 members (3 invisible), 9,928 guests, and 517 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
JohnC, Luke2307, jharwood, TamTam, mrbigglesworth
14,550 Registered Users
New General Forums
Do we need Trident?
by derekdwc - 20th Jan 2016 1:11pm
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Looking for Joneses
by Markjon88 - 11th Apr 2019 7:06am
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 15
casper 14
bri445 4
Topic Replies
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:20pm
Gaza
by granny - 15th Mar 2024 10:13pm
Get your Money Tree ready
by StellaSimmons - 11th Mar 2024 11:50am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by bri445 - 4th Mar 2024 5:54pm
Xbox
by TudorBlue - 3rd Mar 2024 8:48pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by Abakumss - 2nd Mar 2024 3:52pm
Oleo Works
by diggingdeeper - 1st Mar 2024 11:51pm
Wiper mechanism needed
by Gibbo - 28th Feb 2024 12:29pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1071799 7th Oct 2019 5:06pm
granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master

Is Extinction Rebellion beginning to annoy people ?

It seems they are now becoming problems with some incidents and taking things to the next level more like theatrical productions.

I understand their message , and Gretta has raised the profile, but why don't they go to China ?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Google Ads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
The extinction rebellion movement is keeping the major issues that will impact on us all in the public eye and in the international media. I think it's safe to say they would not be granted the liberty to do what they're doing in China, even if they were allowed to enter the country, and the media would be stifled; they are allowed to have a higher profile in other places and the message reaches further. I'm amazed the Hong Kong democracy protests have been allowed to continue for so long, actually.

granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master

Other than killing the protestors in Hong Kong, ( and they have started to use live bullets against them) I don't think they will stop them at all, until major changes happen which ever way that might be.

Extinction Rebellion are out to have a good time and using civil disobedience as their tool. I don't agree with that, and anyone who thinks that our police resources should be poured into containing their antics, should not be complaining about issues the police forces have been facing e.g. under funding, under staffing etc.

From what I can make out, people are beginning to turn their backs and getting fed up with it ,even at this early stage and overkill never helped anyone, particularly when the 'censored' BBC and other media outlets pushes it down our throats..

On a personal level, I agree with the whole thing and the impact humans are having on the environment, and in turn we are each doing our own thing to help reduce carbon emissions, but forest fires, wars, (lets think about how weapons are made, Britain defence export £14 billion in 2018 ) thousands of cruise liners,(massive pollution) millions of flights, millions of hotels , space travel, for starters and which country is going to change any of that in rapid time scales ?

No Government can change anything unless there are other more viable alternatives to use as replacements, but we mustn't forget that the main agenda for the 2030 EU strategy is based on environmental and climate change issues, so has this all been a pre- taster or pre-arranged fiasco ?

One group there from Wigan, apparently. Did they walk ? Spraying buildings with red coloured solution to make it look like blood, is just pathetic to mature minded people and detracts from the real issues that need tackling.

On a note of comparison, this guy,25 yr old Boyan Slat, has been tackling such things for a lot longer, without any acknowledgment from the media. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyan_Slat

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Its all too broad in my opinion, you can't cure everything all at once.

Sod the environment for the moment, lets concentrate initially on pollution that is directly affecting our health. The Government has been fairly clever in two aspects ...

Firstly, the global warming etc etc has gradually obfuscated the talk about pollution.

Secondly, pollution responsibility has been passed down to Councils from the Government but the Councils don't control pollution laws.

There are still licenses out there for throwing carcinogens into the atmosphere, this is most notable at cement works. Yes they are still being licensed to burn tyres despite all the possible uses for recycling tyres.

Diesel cars are still being made, we are in the ridiculous situation where they are being banned from use in places but are still allowed to be made and imported.

The only significant progress that has been made is the reduction of coal powered electricity generation and this has been mostly achieved by burning gas instead.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Old Hand
Old Hand
Thanks to the Clean Air Act and a good woman called Thatcher, we now have the cleanest air in the UK since before the industrial revolution. Coal is the most polluting industry on Earth and it's accountable to no-one.

What Extinction Rebellion need to do is get over to China and sabotage its coal industry.

Perhaps we'll see nuclear fusion in our lifetime too.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by philmch
Perhaps we'll see nuclear fusion in our lifetime too.

I wouldn't hold your breath, we are approaching the 70th year of man-made fusion and thousands(?) of fusion reactions later, not once has anyone extracted more energy than they put in.

Just look up at the Sun and think, when they do create a continuous fusion generator with an efficiency greater than one, that could be us.

Last edited by diggingdeeper; 8th Oct 2019 8:43pm. Reason: continuos

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

granny Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master

They've now been banned from parts of London, and I should think so. How much in total, has this lot cost the tax payer ,I wonder ? The money spent on policing a single day event is extortionate enough.

The Met said there had been 1,445 arrests by 14:00 on Monday, with 76 people charged with offences including criminal damage and obstruction of a highway.

~Chief Seattle
granny #1071933 15th Oct 2019 10:36am
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
The destruction of democracy.

Prior to yesterday they were banned everywhere in London apart from Trafalgar Square..

Yesterday they were banned everywhere in London.

We do have a right to peaceful protest and that right was overruled yesterday. Never mind what was going on elsewhere, Trafalgar Square was a haven for peaceful protest, there is no justification to remove this essential part of our democratic protest.

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
The destruction of democracy.

Prior to yesterday they were banned everywhere in London apart from Trafalgar Square..

Yesterday they were banned everywhere in London.

We do have a right to peaceful protest and that right was overruled yesterday. Never mind what was going on elsewhere, Trafalgar Square was a haven for peaceful protest, there is no justification to remove this essential part of our democratic protest.

Lets see what they get as sentences, prison would be a strong possibility going on what the fracking demo people got, this type of behaviour can't be tolerated m'lud, send them down (prison should only be for violent criminals) who said that?

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Very few are being charged (around 150 to date) although this is being ramped up, presumably most are getting conditional release which means that on paper they are still under investigation but any subsequent events would weigh heavily against them.

Forum Master
Forum Master
Good on the commuters dragging these idiots off the trains in London. Must be so infuriating when trying to get to work and earn money to pay your taxes which pay benefits I suspect to a large majority of this mob!
Just what do they think they are going to achieve with all this nonsense , just a good old time for a gang of aging hippies and troublemakers! Get tougher with them , morons!!!

Wiki Addict
Wiki Addict

cools #1071967 17th Oct 2019 9:07am
Wiki Addict
Wiki Addict
Originally Posted by cools
Good on the commuters dragging these idiots off the trains in London. Must be so infuriating when trying to get to work and earn money to pay your taxes which pay benefits I suspect to a large majority of this mob!
Just what do they think they are going to achieve with all this nonsense , just a good old time for a gang of aging hippies and troublemakers! Get tougher with them , morons!!!

thumbsup clap

Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by granny

Is Extinction Rebellion beginning to annoy people ?

It seems they are now becoming problems with some incidents and taking things to the next level more like theatrical productions.

I understand their message , and Gretta has raised the profile, but why don't they go to China ?

Yes completely annoying. Full stop.
Weather happens despite us not cause of us as i keep saying.
China nulls all our right on save the planet actions anyway. Its meaningless all that we do as we buy loads of junk from china anyway .
Cancel ourselves out.
Climate change is human narcisisim that we alter the weather and were important.....were not.
In 12 years , earth will still be here & weather unpredictable.
Wake up idiots.

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Xbox
by TudorBlue - 3rd Mar 2024 8:48pm
Possible Cause of Dementia
by diggingdeeper - 22nd Feb 2024 2:08am
Wiper mechanism needed
by Peter0787 - 20th Feb 2024 4:07pm
For Sale & Free
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
Floral pavilion promo code?
by TheComputerLab - 31st Dec 2018 2:11pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am
New Enthusiast Forums
Xbox