Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 23rd May 2008 2:10pm
Just had a few thoughts running around my head, what inventions do you consider to be great?

Personally, my top 3 would be:

- Digital Camera's
- Compact Discs (CD's leading onto DVD's et al)
- The Internet

smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 23rd May 2008 2:15pm
Penicillin in 1929....?
Cellular phones in 1979 nad Digital phones in 1988?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 23rd May 2008 2:19pm
I mean tech inventions (hence being posted in the Digital forums). Penecillin wasnt really an "invention" as such anyway, and whilst it is awsome, it killed off phage therapy, which I feel is actually a massive blow to our health system.

smile
Posted By: Brian Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 23rd May 2008 5:50pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Just had a few thoughts running around my head, what inventions do you consider to be great?

Personally, my top 3 would be:

- Digital Camera's
- Compact Discs (CD's leading onto DVD's et al)
- The Internet

smile

Surely none of the above would have been possible without the microprocessor? The silicon chip, if you want to make it even more fundamental than that.

Brian.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 23rd May 2008 5:52pm
Of course, but that is still my 3. And no amount of argument will change that.

smile
Posted By: Brian Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 23rd May 2008 11:36pm
Of course, but that is still my 3. And no amount of argument will change that.

smile

Oh, OK, *great*, not *the greatest*. All right, I'll agree with you on the internet. I reckon your standard hard drive is more impressive than the CD/DVDs. And how about gigabit switches for the third one? Bloody impressive, I call them.

Brian.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 23rd May 2008 11:50pm
Hehe, CD's to me were more important in the 20th century, I dunno why tbh, but hard drives never really "changed" the way we use and share data. They have always seemed pretty boring, but I do agree, where the hell would be without them haha!

I think whilst hard drives have remained quite static and boring, CD's, in one form or another, progressed to change our lives so much in the 80's and 90's. Hard Drives really became exceptional in the very latter 90's, when they finally started reaching decent capacities and breaking technological barriers.

GigE's were mega for the 20th century too, they really made the internet "flow" like it should do, and opened up the future of high bandwidth internet leading to the 10GigE and 100GigE ports.

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:05am
The MiniDisc
The Panasonic 3DO
The Phillips CDI
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:07am
real filthy women
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:07am
Originally Posted by WADDI
The MiniDisc
The Panasonic 3DO
The Phillips CDI

He's OLD SKOOL!!!

Tis all good hehe, although I always preferred DCC and DAT to MD.

laugh
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:07am
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
real filthy women

They were actually invented in 412BC, by Gnaeus POMPeii

tease
Posted By: Waddi Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:12am
IMHO Minidisc was the fore father to MP3.

and the 3do and CDI brought on Gaming on CD's which lead to the likes of the PSX and the dreamcast and beyond (not forgetting the sega mega cd tho)
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:13am
I know its not strictly Digital..but it could be applied to the Digital World....

I personally think Cable Ties are the greatest Invention ever. Whoever invented them must be a millionaire...
Posted By: Waddi Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:18am
What about good old coaxial cable.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:18am
no, i mean real filthy ones lol... not just a quick poke at the oven
Posted By: Waddi Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:30am
Sky+ is pretty great. Ive just been away for a week and come back to all my favourite shows recorded and archived for me ready to watch when Im ready.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:34am
would be even better if Next gen Sky+ or SkyHD incorporated a DVD recorder for ease of copying to take with you on the move to watch elsewhere
Posted By: xX_Jennie_Xx Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:37am
haha what a mad topic ... haha .. i like it .. sorry to but in but i do have to agree with the mobile phones. id be lost without mine, not to sure weather i could live, but saaying that if they had never bin invented i wouldn't be so dependant on them right now.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:43am
Originally Posted by WADDI
Sky+ is pretty great. Ive just been away for a week and come back to all my favourite shows recorded and archived for me ready to watch when Im ready.

21st century matey; TiVo was 20th century, but was (and still is) a bit lame interface wise.

smile
Posted By: dave_g Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 2:45am
does my cine film count?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 11:04am
sky+ the xbox 360 and the internet coffee
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 11:13am
Originally Posted by jason24v6
sky+ the xbox 360 and the internet coffee

Sky+ = 21st Century (developed in 2001, launched in 2001)
Xbox 360 = 2005

To be honest neither are invetions anyway, they are merely developments, both were invented in the 20th century, the PVR and the games console.

smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 11:14am
There are no great inventions imho cause the inventions which have been made have ruinied the World.. What would of happened if roswell never happened ? Would we have all this technology ? No.. Ever since that crash theres been 1000's upon 1000's of new ideas and what nots and whats it done ? Ruined the planet cause people are dependent on them and when they break ??? All hell breaks loose... But if i was to choose one the silicon chip why?? cause it lets me do most things.. Watch tv, play ps2, chat away on this website, wash my clothes on a cycle, sets my alarm, allows me to get paid and so on.. If the silicon chip was never invented then we would all be how we used to be.. Thanks Aliens who crashed happy
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 11:16am
I think its fair to say the silicon chip would be nothing without the PCB though smile
Posted By: Brian Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 12:38pm
Hehe, CD's to me were more important in the 20th century, I dunno why tbh, but hard drives never really "changed" the way we use and share data. They have always seemed pretty boring, but I do agree, where the hell would be without them haha!

I think whilst hard drives have remained quite static and boring, CD's, in one form or another, progressed to change our lives so much in the 80's and 90's. Hard Drives really became exceptional in the very latter 90's, when they finally started reaching decent capacities and breaking technological barriers.

Judging by your mugshot, you're a bit young to remember when the rate of change of hard drives was really amazing. The curve has flattened off now, barring a major technical advance they struggle to increase the recording density by a really significant amount.

I got my first software job in 1982. We coded on a DEC PDP-11, with three hard drives attached, which meant a stack about four feet tall and 18 inches square. The TEN MEGABYTE media itself was removable, say about four inches deep and 12 inches in diameter (for any other old DEC people out there, I'm trying to describe an RL02). Yes, that was 12 programmers writing applications with a combined 30 Megs of hard drive space between them. smile

Four years later, in another job, where I had to set up the development system from scratch, then a 300 Megabyte drive had suddenly become a box about nine inches square and four inches high.

Now THAT is what you call a decent rate of progress!

Brian.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 1:00pm
sat nav
internet
the vtec engine !
Originally Posted by sanchez

internet
the vtec engine !

withstupid withthat
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 1:04pm
sean, respect brother.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 1:18pm
1) The Transistor
2) The Internet
3) Digital Camera

My 3rd choice was a difficult decision between Digital Cameras and Mobile Phones
Posted By: Sludge Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 8:32pm
Tom Tom
Blue tooth
pot noodles
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 8:37pm
Tom Tom wasnt an invention, I take it you mean consumer vehicle GPS smile
Posted By: Pomp Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 24th May 2008 8:49pm
Originally Posted by Xcorsas_biatchX
haha what a mad topic ... haha .. i like it .. sorry to but in but i do have to agree with the mobile phones. id be lost without mine, not to sure weather i could live, but saaying that if they had never bin invented i wouldn't be so dependant on them right now.

If they wern't invented you will probably adapt to the situation and make use of pay phones lol.
I use to think that but if you go on holiday you won't be needing them at all.
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 25th May 2008 10:06am
cell processor
the wheel
and the little inventions that make everyday life more easier (been watching the shopping channel! eek)
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 25th May 2008 10:31am
Originally Posted by turbo_stu
the wheel

somehow I dont think the wheel was invented in the 20th century think :Smack:
Posted By: mike849 Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 25th May 2008 12:11pm
the internal combustion engine and the internet otherwise i would be walking and wouldnt be on this now! lol
Posted By: Waddi Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 25th May 2008 6:59pm
Me
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 26th May 2008 1:24am
The internal combustion engine too isnt a 20th century invention.

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 26th May 2008 1:27am
Thrash Metal invented late 70's early 80's
Posted By: Mark Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 27th May 2008 6:54pm
The Space Hopper wink
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Greatest Inventions Of The 20th Century - 27th May 2008 6:57pm
mark i dont quite think you get this lol, great inventions, not crazy inventions
© Wirral-Wikiwirral