According to the Licence Registers John Gerard Hogan took over the licence of the Dock Hotel on 6th October 1948, from Alfred Colgate, and ran it until 17th November 1971. The Pub
at that time was owned by Yates Castle Brewery Ltd, who had originally leased it from the LMS and Great Western Railway Companies in 1897.
The Dock Hotel dates back to at least 1857, when the licensee was Thomas Beddows, and was probably open by 1850, when an advertisement for an auction Sale
describes it as taking place on land near the Brewery and Dock Hotel at Bridge End, the original name for the area of Birkenhead where the building is situated.
According to early Birkenhead resident Henry Kelsall Aspinall in his book 'Birkenhead And Its Surroundings', prior to becoming a Pub
the building was occupied by Robert Russell and his family; Aspinall describes it as "a pretty villa, surrounded by large gardens, at Bridge End near Wallasey Pool." A building is shown on the site as early as Lawton's 1824 map of F R Price's lands in Birkenhead, on which it is listed a "House, garden and buildings" occupied by Joseph Nichols as part of Bridge End Farm, so the site is of some antiquity in the History
of Birkenhead, predating even the Laird