WikiWirral values you and your opinion.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,550
Posts1,034,385
Members15,032
Most Online244,501
May 17th, 2026
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 28,186 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,270
granny 17,811
_Ste_ 16,348
Newest Members
FrankL, Stevan, Marie1, Macca75, Jessp
15,032 Registered Users
New General Forums
?? ??????????? ?????? ?? ?????? ???? ???? ??????
by JunxinH - 29th Sep 2026 10:18am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
How long does it take to get money out on weekends
by JunxinH - 6th Sep 2026 5:18pm
New Wirral History
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
eli birkenhead market.
by cathcart - 8th Feb 2011 9:23pm
309 The Dell
by Mark - 29th Dec 2008 3:56pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 7
Topic Replies
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 2nd Oct 2026 6:13am
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
eli birkenhead market.
by Marie1 - 17th Sep 2026 4:25pm
309 The Dell
by diggingdeeper - 16th Sep 2026 4:18pm
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by missyb - 12th Sep 2026 3:44pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Mark - 11th Sep 2026 10:28pm
Mersey Barrage
by diggingdeeper - 11th Sep 2026 1:36pm
Family of Henry waring
by bert1 - 11th Sep 2026 9:38am
Deva Mental Asylum, Chester
by _Ste_ - 6th Sep 2026 3:30pm
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Mark 2
Top Likes Received
bert1 33
Mark 6
casper 4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 720
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 720
It is very sad to see the way it has gone down so much over the last couple of decades. I don't know either what could be done to save it now, that's assuming even if someone wanted to. The last time I was there was last July and we only went because daughter wanted to sell her xbox and although the place was actually really busy, it just smacked of depression and despair frown

I know I harp on about things in USA but it's very similar in regards to how town centres here too have suffered huge decline due to massive shopping malls offering much better facilities and of course free parking, restaurants and pleasant piped music.
The centre of town near me here is all but a ghost town now, full of pawn shops and the £1 shop equivalent. Most folk avoid it like the plague as it's riddled with violence after dark with murders happening frequently and gangs hanging around everywhere.
I doubt there's hope for B'head in the near future and it would take a huge input of cash and redevelopment planning to even stand a chance against Liverpool and the ever popular Cheshire Oaks frown Very sad

Google Ads
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,348
Likes: 1
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,348
Likes: 1
Give it a few more years and you can kiss goodbye to a whole load of other shopping places too.

The Internet is killing it off slowly, online shopping is the big thing now.

Thank the Internet for the latest blockbuster liquidation, asif piracy wasn't already hitting it hard along comes these online rental company's!

Technology is causing a major disruption to social life as we know it.

First the mobile phone, now the Internet.


[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 720
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 720
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Give it a few more years and you can kiss goodbye to a whole load of other shopping places too.

The Internet is killing it off slowly, online shopping is the big thing now.

Thank the Internet for the latest blockbuster liquidation, asif piracy wasn't already hitting it hard along comes these online rental company's!

Technology is causing a major disruption to social life as we know it.

First the mobile phone, now the Internet.


I know. and I'm doing just that now as I'm reading your post. It so easy to order online and also because most of the things I want are free delivery too.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,348
Likes: 1
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,348
Likes: 1
It's a shame really, shopping is not how it used to be.

I will admit that I do most of my shopping online, mostly electrical items tbh.

I'm sorry to see blockbuster go as I use them to buy games all the time, it's very unfair on the staff there. frown


[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 660
Smartchild
Offline
Smartchild
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 660
Why is everybody talking about Birkenhead shopping centre as though it's the Bronx? Ok it can't compete with Liverpool which has got a lot of other tourist attractions, but it's not exactly the bowels of hell!

Many of the shops that've closed have closed all over the country not just Birkenhead.

I was there shopping today, it was busy and clean. And at least you don't have to walk miles to get to different shops.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,236
Forum Addict
Offline
Forum Addict
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,236
the rents are the biggest problem with birkenhead.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
I only really go to central Birkenhead to pay my rent and thus end up doing my food/ 'general' shopping there.

I believe that the biggest loss to the town is HMV.:( but with saying that,I do prefer shopping online for music/ dvds etc and so I am one of thousands that led to their downfall, unfortunatley.

I do use the Market occasionally for fresh meats/ cooked meats and that stall near Max Spielmans etc for fruit and veg.

How to improve the shopping centre?

No idea- its a shit pit and my motto is to 'Get in and get out' asap.


Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 47
Newbeee
Offline
Newbeee
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 47
I used to prefer Birkenhead to Liverpool, because it was less busy, and had more of the shops I wanted, but it's not quite the same anymore!

Online shopping is killing the high streets everywhere tho, it won't be long until its only designer outlets left!


Check out my Instagram with pictures of my walks around the Wirral & the history attached to it!
https://instagram.com/walkswithmydogwirral?r=nametag
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
I agree, Cate. Sadly, the High Street is dead.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Where I live in Seacombe, my nan in law used to refer to Borough Road area as 'the village'. I used to think wtf?

There is a 'fading' newsagent,(another did set up but lasted 3 months- if that), a flower shop,a charity shop and a chippy- not the 'village'that this dear old lady spoke off.

I do recall a bakery, two or three other chippys, a pet shop and a butchers being there in the late 80s/ early 90s- all gone now. Razored down and houses built.Same as the C.O.S.A club.

I forsee more closures of small businesses come April, not just in Seacombe but everywhere.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 417
Smartchild
Offline
Smartchild
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 417
I find it hard to find sympathy for the likes of HMV and Blockbusters and they ripped people off for far too long. I used to buy white label records for over £15 from HMV and rent DVD’s from Blockbuster for about a fiver a night. CD’s were way overpriced too. I think the pair of them had it coming for a very long time as they kept prices too high when there was little other choice than buying in the high street.

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 157
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 157
Quite agree there Neil_c.
I suppose another thing about Birkenhead is the drive into town.
Its like driving through Bosnia - boarded up windows, houses half demolished or set on fire, roads like a patch work quilt, women walking around in pyjamas.
It all adds up to a totally disgusting experience and thats even before you get in town.
To say Birkenhead is like the capital of Wirral so to speak, i am very embarrased to mention i even live anywhere near the place

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 720
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 720
Originally Posted by Abbot
Quite agree there Neil_c.
I suppose another thing about Birkenhead is the drive into town.
Its like driving through Bosnia - boarded up windows, houses half demolished or set on fire, roads like a patch work quilt, women walking around in pyjamas.
It all adds up to a totally disgusting experience and thats even before you get in town.
To say Birkenhead is like the capital of Wirral so to speak, i am very embarrased to mention i even live anywhere near the place


Yes, I know what you mean about the journey to get there and yet less than a mile or two away are the very exclusive areas like Pine Walks, Golf Links Rd and the surrounding locations where you need to be mega rich to live.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Originally Posted by Abbot
Quite agree there Neil_c.
I suppose another thing about Birkenhead is the drive into town.
Its like driving through Bosnia - boarded up windows, houses half demolished or set on fire, roads like a patch work quilt, women walking around in pyjamas.
It all adds up to a totally disgusting experience and thats even before you get in town.
To say Birkenhead is like the capital of Wirral so to speak, i am very embarrased to mention i even live anywhere near the place
Liverpool is the same, a doss hole once out of the tourist friendly areas.

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Newbeee
Offline
Newbeee
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 24
Dont worry too much there is big change happening to this part of the wirral with all the money being pumped into wirral water ways by chinese investment. And now the northend has had a facelift and all along claughton road. I have faith in Birkenhead it has been great once it can be great again plus we have so much history. if the people of birkenhead had pride in where they live it would be a better place.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
For Sale & Free
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral, Cheshire
Posts: 14,578
Joined: July 2008
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
News : New Topics
New Enthusiast Forums
Deva Mental Asylum, Chester
by robbo_theman - 11th Oct 2008 11:06pm
Popular Topics(Views)
10,906,009 CW Chat room thread
6,016,020 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,723,586 Spotted!
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5