WikiWirral values you and your opinion.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,550
Posts1,034,386
Members15,032
Most Online244,501
May 17th, 2026
Who's Online Now
3 members (2 invisible), 24,027 guests, and 618 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,270
granny 17,811
_Ste_ 16,348
Newest Members
FrankL, Stevan, Marie1, Macca75, Jessp
15,032 Registered Users
New General Forums
?? ??????????? ?????? ?? ?????? ???? ???? ??????
by JunxinH - 29th Sep 2026 10:18am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
How long does it take to get money out on weekends
by JunxinH - 6th Sep 2026 5:18pm
New Wirral History
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
eli birkenhead market.
by cathcart - 8th Feb 2011 9:23pm
309 The Dell
by Mark - 29th Dec 2008 3:56pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 7
Topic Replies
Vape, Heads up
by diggingdeeper - 6th Oct 2026 7:56am
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
eli birkenhead market.
by Marie1 - 17th Sep 2026 4:25pm
309 The Dell
by diggingdeeper - 16th Sep 2026 4:18pm
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by missyb - 12th Sep 2026 3:44pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Mark - 11th Sep 2026 10:28pm
Mersey Barrage
by diggingdeeper - 11th Sep 2026 1:36pm
Family of Henry waring
by bert1 - 11th Sep 2026 9:38am
Deva Mental Asylum, Chester
by _Ste_ - 6th Sep 2026 3:30pm
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Mark 2
Top Likes Received
bert1 33
Mark 6
casper 4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,222
Forum Veteran
OP Offline
Forum Veteran
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,222
I'm trying to find some pics I've seen
1 the shelter/canopy on Argyle st/Cleveland st corner to match up with these street view pics and find out what it once was.
Somebody told me once it was the stables for the Cleveland Arms.

2 A picture of a tram passing a church on the other corner where the treasury? building is

Attached Images
cleveland st1.jpg (69.18 KB, 303 downloads)
cleveland st2.jpg (72.8 KB, 304 downloads)
cleveland stables3.jpg (81.06 KB, 303 downloads)
cleveland stables4.jpg (70.09 KB, 305 downloads)
treasury building1.jpg (68.65 KB, 303 downloads)
Google Ads
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
Newbeee
Offline
Newbeee
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
it was a bus stop i can remember getting 94 bus to north end

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 472
Likes: 2
Smartchild
Offline
Smartchild
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 472
Likes: 2
I've always been puzzled by this one, as none of the other houses on Hamilton Square have anything like it, but I've never been able to find any info on what it was for. The early maps show that 19 Hamilton Square was originally built with its 'front' door on the side, facing onto Cleveland Street. At some point in the late 1800s an extension was added to the side of the building and the original door casing was replaced on the end of it, facing onto Hamilton Square as it does now. Presumably the whole wall along the Cleveland Street side was added at this time as it's all built in the same style.

A possible clue to the extension's purpose may come from the house's occupants; it seems that for many years it was occupied by a succession of medical men and used as a doctor's surgery. Presumably the arched entrance was originally to allow their carriages to enter the back yard area with its adjoining coachhouse and stables, but it may also have been to allow patients to enter the premises in privacy, either arriving in their own carriage or possibly even in a horsedrawn ambulance? My 1903 Directory indicates that by then, however, the stables had been let to John Lyon & Co, ginger ale and mineral water manufacturers, whose main works were in Oldham Street, off Renshaw Street in Liverpool. Presumably the stables were used by them for the horses and carts that delivered their products on this side of the river.

I remember the old canopied bus-stop on the side of the building as I often used to catch the bus there on the way to my gran's, but I'm not sure I've got a photo of it; I'll have to have a good hunt round.

I think the second picture you're thinking about may be the well-known engraving from the Illustrated London News of a single-decker tram in front of the Congregational Chapel on the opening day of the tram system in 1860. I definitely have a copy of that somewhere, which I'll post when I find it.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,844
Likes: 33
Wiki Veteran
Offline
Wiki Veteran
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,844
Likes: 33
I can remember the old canopied bus stop and for some unknown reason I seem to have memories of Horses and milk carts coming out of the stables there in the early fifties, could be wrong, maybe they were just making a delivery.


God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.


Bertieone.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 760
Veteran
Offline
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 760
I think I know the photographs you are after, but I haven't come across them yet.

However, in the Pleasures Past video 'Memories of Wirral in the 1940's & 50's' there is a short section around Hamilton Square at 30 minutes in. It shows a bowler hatted gentleman using the Hamilton St Post Office and then pans along the Cleveland St section of the Square to the corner where the Council offices now are, where the old Church, minus its roof, can be seen. It then cuts to the other corner, where the estate agents were, but unfortunately we can't see quite enough to get a glimpse of the shelter. I also think that a longer version of this film appears in another their video's, demonstrating some road safety do's & don'ts, which included a cyclist hanging on to a bus, getting on to a moving bus, and sitting chatting at the lights while they change a few times. I've not come across that one today, but I'll find it.

The shelter was a lean-to canopy with the wall, open at both ends. It had a glass roof with cast iron uprights and the usual tubular railings at the pavement edge. It was long enough to accomodate two busses of the time. I'm sure it survived into the hands of the MPTE.

It is interesting to see the yellow clay bricks used in the wall of the stables. They sometimes appear on buildings in Birkenhead of that time and are occasionally seen as a relief in some Wallasey buildings, but hardly anywhere else around here. There are similar bricks in some other northern towns, but the only other place I can think of that use them in large numbers is in London. Theirs are a slightly different shade, obviously from different clay pits.

The 'modern' white-faced Council building on the corner used to house the Education, Rates and Vehicle Taxation Departments for the Borough, as well as the driving test examiners. Part of the motorcycle test, as conducted in the late 60's & early 70's, involved the examiner watching the candidate ride at walking pace, by walking alongside him or her. Invariably, this was performed in Hamilton Lane, the road between the back of the stables and the pub.

Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Beginner
Offline
Beginner
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Hello
My father Donald Colley had a garage R and D Colley on the corner of Cleveland Street and Chapel Street from 1946 to 1965 I have searched in vain for a photograph Does anyone have any ideas?


Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
For Sale & Free
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
Member Spotlight
_Ste_
_Ste_
Skid Row
Posts: 16,348
Joined: August 2005
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
News : New Topics
New Enthusiast Forums
Deva Mental Asylum, Chester
by robbo_theman - 11th Oct 2008 11:06pm
Popular Topics(Views)
10,906,451 CW Chat room thread
6,016,819 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,724,230 Spotted!
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5