WikiWirral values you and your opinion.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,550
Posts1,034,386
Members15,032
Most Online244,501
May 17th, 2026
Who's Online Now
4 members (1 invisible), 21,126 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,270
granny 17,811
_Ste_ 16,348
Newest Members
FrankL, Stevan, Marie1, Macca75, Jessp
15,032 Registered Users
New General Forums
?? ??????????? ?????? ?? ?????? ???? ???? ??????
by JunxinH - 29th Sep 2026 10:18am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
New Wirral History
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
eli birkenhead market.
by cathcart - 8th Feb 2011 9:23pm
309 The Dell
by Mark - 29th Dec 2008 3:56pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 7
Marie1 1
Topic Replies
Vape, Heads up
by diggingdeeper - 6th Oct 2026 7:56am
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
eli birkenhead market.
by Marie1 - 17th Sep 2026 4:25pm
309 The Dell
by diggingdeeper - 16th Sep 2026 4:18pm
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by missyb - 12th Sep 2026 3:44pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Mark - 11th Sep 2026 10:28pm
Mersey Barrage
by diggingdeeper - 11th Sep 2026 1:36pm
Family of Henry waring
by bert1 - 11th Sep 2026 9:38am
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Mark 2
Top Likes Received
bert1 33
Mark 6
casper 4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 … 8 9 10 11 12
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
Were they the ones up by the old market? The triangular shaped building? The name is familiar but I'm not sure I'm placing them correctly.

I remember auction rooms opposite Hamilton Square Station but I think their name began with a B?


~~Jeeps~~
Google Ads
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,487
Likes: 1
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Offline
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,487
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Jeeps
Were they the ones up by the old market? The triangular shaped building? The name is familiar but I'm not sure I'm placing them correctly.

I remember auction rooms opposite Hamilton Square Station but I think their name began with a B?
Antique Triangle?


[Linked Image] Please do not adjust your mind, there is a slight problem with reality
P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
Richard Baker & Baker opp. Hamilton Sq. Station.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
Trancentral,are you saying that's what the building was called or are you wondering what I'm talking about? Which is what many folk do. laugh

It was maybe a second hand furiture 'emporium' if not the auction rooms. On about 3 floors, down by the old market and tunnel entrance. It was filthy black from when I remember it and it was on a junction so the end of the building at the junction was narrower than the other end of the building, iyswim, hence my saying it was a triangle. If I had a old map I'd explain better but unfortunately I don't.

Bakers, yes, thank you Pinzgauer.


~~Jeeps~~
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,579
Likes: 39
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,579
Likes: 39
Corkhill & Job - National Archives

CLICKY


There's a real danger that the left will drag Britain back to the 1970s, with secure well-paid jobs, ample housing, properly-funded NHS and social care, free tuition, student grants, final salary pensions, affordable rail fares and fabulous films and music. David Osland 2025

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 101
Enthusiast
Offline
Enthusiast
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 101
Yes that's them
They were on the left hand side just before Argyll St. Probably under the devlopent area. Or looking at a birds eye there seems to be old properties on what is Grange Road East in about the right place that may be some remnant.
Obviously someone thought that they were of suffient importance to deposit their papers with the Archives.
I wonder how many modern businesses would merit that ?

reading the archive there are no records after 1974 so that could be when they went

Last edited by masterbun; 7th Feb 2011 5:05pm.
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Originally Posted by Jeeps
Trancentral,are you saying that's what the building was called or are you wondering what I'm talking about? Which is what many folk do. laugh

It was maybe a second hand furiture 'emporium' if not the auction rooms. On about 3 floors, down by the old market and tunnel entrance. It was filthy black from when I remember it and it was on a junction so the end of the building at the junction was narrower than the other end of the building, iyswim, hence my saying it was a triangle. If I had a old map I'd explain better but unfortunately I don't.

Bakers, yes, thank you Pinzgauer.
if i'm thinking of the same place, it now houses Wirral Minds' Fountain Project. The rest of the block is Supported Housing.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
I think it was opposite the Birkenhead News offices, or at least close by. Do you think that's it?


~~Jeeps~~
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Ooh i dont know think i'm talking about chester street, i think

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
Thanks Rudebox, I think that's right. I've just looked at Google Maps and found the building I think I meant! And yes, I can see the words Antiques Triangle on it! Wow, the area looks so different to me and I've only been away about 20 years! I think I need to come back and have a mooch around.

Anyone remember the name of the place when it was a 2nd hand place then? The letter C is ringing a bell but I might be back to Corkhills!

Last edited by Jeeps; 7th Feb 2011 7:22pm.

~~Jeeps~~
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446

Last edited by RUDEBOX; 7th Feb 2011 8:06pm.
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
Thanks Rudebox, that's a hundred yards or so from where I was meaning.

If you look at the map in your link, for how to find the Wirral Mind, the place I am meaning is the triangular block just down from Wirral Mind. The more I think about it, I think it had the words Commercial Buildings painted on the stonework.


~~Jeeps~~
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,487
Likes: 1
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Offline
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,487
Likes: 1
this place mate

Attached Images
Antiques_triangle,_Birkenhead_1.JPG (388.23 KB, 278 downloads)

[Linked Image] Please do not adjust your mind, there is a slight problem with reality
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 82
That's the place, great stuff, thank you. It's a lot cleaner than I remember!


~~Jeeps~~
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Is that t'ova end of the F.club 'block' in Chester St or 'round the back?'

Page 10 of 12 1 2 … 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
For Sale & Free
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral, Cheshire
Posts: 14,579
Joined: July 2008
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
News : New Topics
New Enthusiast Forums
Popular Topics(Views)
10,906,757 CW Chat room thread
6,017,048 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,724,438 Spotted!
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5