WikiWirral is where great friendships are made.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,548
Posts1,034,378
Members15,032
Most Online244,501
May 17th, 2026
Who's Online Now
2 members (1 invisible), 19,361 guests, and 573 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,270
granny 17,811
_Ste_ 16,348
Newest Members
FrankL, Stevan, Marie1, Macca75, Jessp
15,032 Registered Users
New General Forums
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
How long does it take to get money out on weekends
by JunxinH - 6th Sep 2026 5:18pm
New Wirral History
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
eli birkenhead market.
by cathcart - 8th Feb 2011 9:23pm
309 The Dell
by Mark - 29th Dec 2008 3:56pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
Marie1 1
Topic Replies
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 25th Sep 2026 10:05am
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
eli birkenhead market.
by Marie1 - 17th Sep 2026 4:25pm
309 The Dell
by diggingdeeper - 16th Sep 2026 4:18pm
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by missyb - 12th Sep 2026 3:44pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Mark - 11th Sep 2026 10:28pm
Mersey Barrage
by diggingdeeper - 11th Sep 2026 1:36pm
Family of Henry waring
by bert1 - 11th Sep 2026 9:38am
Deva Mental Asylum, Chester
by _Ste_ - 6th Sep 2026 3:30pm
September
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Mark 2
bert1 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 33
Mark 6
casper 4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#387289 10th Feb 2010 6:07pm
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,995
vw_kyle Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,995
The Borough Hospital Park Road North 1904

Attached Images
borough hospital.jpg (119.09 KB, 285 downloads)
Google Ads
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 10,000
Awesome
Wiki Master
Offline
Awesome
Wiki Master
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 10,000
where was that? is this different place to the general?

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 373
Old Hand
Offline
Old Hand
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 373
Wasnt that on the corner of road called Prince Edward street?
Im sure it was.


"You Can Either Agree With Me Or Be Wrong"
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 683
Likes: 1
Veteran
Offline
Veteran
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 683
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Snooze
where was that? is this different place to the general?


The Borough Hospital did become Birkenhead General Hospital. In the 1959 view below you can see the original building with the 'new' wings added.

It was on Park Road North between Livingstone Street and Prince Edward Street.



Attached Images
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 10,000
Awesome
Wiki Master
Offline
Awesome
Wiki Master
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 10,000
I very vaguely remember the General. Remember passing it on the bus going to town.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,515
Forum Addict
Offline
Forum Addict
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,515
I got my head stitched up there in 1978, 18 stitches ouch.


See you in cyberspace!
P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
Had my appendix wizzed out at the General. Just before the needle, I asked if I could have my appendix to have a look at. When I came round on the ward, sure enough, there was the offending organ complete with bulging bit ready to burst !

They had popped it into a bottle of preservative. Still got it today. (Weirdo!)

Last edited by Pinzgauer; 10th Feb 2010 10:14pm.
#387364 10th Feb 2010 10:50pm
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,641
Forum Addict
Offline
Forum Addict
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,641
For those who dont know, the building on the opposit side of Park road North next to the bowling greens was the nurses home. {its now flats}


Ships that pass in the night, seldom seen and soon forgoten
jimbob #387600 11th Feb 2010 1:02pm
W
willjb
Unregistered
willjb
Unregistered
W
I went there for treatment once in 1971 when I was 3 after my friend stuck a pen in my eye. I even remember it was a red pen.

#387608 11th Feb 2010 1:15pm
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Wiki Master
Offline
Wiki Master
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,446
Originally Posted by willjb
I went there for treatment once in 1971 when I was 3 after my friend stuck a pen in my eye. I even remember it was a red pen.
''friend'' you sure? Lol. Welcome to wiki btw

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 373
Old Hand
Offline
Old Hand
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 373
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Originally Posted by willjb
I went there for treatment once in 1971 when I was 3 after my friend stuck a pen in my eye. I even remember it was a red pen.
''friend'' you sure? Lol. Welcome to wiki btw


Eye eye whats going on here.


"You Can Either Agree With Me Or Be Wrong"
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 708
Veteran
Offline
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 708
Originally Posted by WonderBoy
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Originally Posted by willjb
I went there for treatment once in 1971 when I was 3 after my friend stuck a pen in my eye. I even remember it was a red pen.
''friend'' you sure? Lol. Welcome to wiki btw


Eye eye whats going on here.


'Rose coloured specs' ever since?

#387633 11th Feb 2010 2:56pm
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,558
Forum Guardian
Offline
Forum Guardian
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,558
Originally Posted by willjb
I went there for treatment once in 1971 when I was 3 after my friend stuck a pen in my eye. I even remember it was a red pen.

Me to, Had a 4" nail stuck right in the corner of eye socket by nose? The nail went in about inch/half,
Hurt when the doctor pulled nail out cry , The nail missed my eye by a fraction. crazy

Sure it got my brain thou. smack

knocked f**k fight out of the lad who done it, made sure he didnt have anything in his hands first. nono bowdown


Does your vacuum suck? Get a Dyson!!


#394873 14th Mar 2010 9:24am
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 60
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by willjb
I even remember it was a red pen.


Before or after it entered your eye?


Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
Family of Henry waring
by Waring51 - 7th Sep 2026 9:39pm
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
Hind Street Gas Works area & Thomas Street
by Reno37 - 25th Nov 2013 1:37pm
For Sale & Free
Titan Saw Blade.
by BultacoAstro - 23rd Sep 2026 7:57am
Member Spotlight
_Ste_
_Ste_
Skid Row
Posts: 16,348
Joined: August 2005
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Vape, Heads up
by bert1 - 24th Sep 2026 10:46am
WikiWirral usage.
by Excoriator - 4th Jul 2026 7:52pm
Mersey Barrage
by Excoriator - 20th Sep 2024 10:43am
News : New Topics
New Enthusiast Forums
Deva Mental Asylum, Chester
by robbo_theman - 11th Oct 2008 11:06pm
Popular Topics(Views)
10,901,395 CW Chat room thread
6,014,015 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,722,261 Spotted!
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5