WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
8 members (2 invisible), 11,742 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
The History of Wallasey Village
by PaulWirral - 1st Jul 2009 6:03pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
lincle 4
casper 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
im not a student nor a fag!!! i'm old enough to know better really! yes, i have a facebook account, that I dont often bother with- it was set up to monitor what my daughter was up- to.
i did watch the x factor too and was glad that joe won. however, i would like ratm to be number one this year- just for the 'comedy' factor, really!
i couldnt really give a shit who or what wins, at the end of the day. i wont be buying either- or other -singles. ill either chuckle to myself, or roll my eyes....wont make any difference to me.

Google Ads
Awesome
Wiki Master
Awesome
Wiki Master
it does seem a little ironic that somebody chose the RATM song - with its anti-establishment 'fook you i won't do what you tell me!' message - that ppl are doing just that - conforming to an idea. Maybe humans are most comfortable when they are locked into conformity think

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
too true! oh! the irony... pmsl.......................

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I still don't get why all of a sudden, people are raving over a song, that was done over a decade ago, and by a band who were generally disliked in the UK when they were at their peak (late 90's and early 00's).

As I say, I love RATM, well used to, don't think they have released much for a good while, last album I got was Renegades, which was about 6 years ago, maybe more, but everyone hated them, said they were shit etc, and now everyone likes them??

Is this because the media told you to? What fools!!

AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
Im not 100% sure how it started, but I think it was one of those pathetic groups on facebook.

Last year it was Jeff Buckley, people tried to download his version of Hallelujah instead, because it was a MUCH MUCH better version of that song than the failure..oh sorry, I mean WINNER of XFactor last year!

Anyway, so the idea has already been planted. But this time, somone thought, I know. Lets all download something very "Anti" christmas, to fight the system. We will not tolerate crappy pop songs anymore. Now then, whats the least likely song to ever get a number 1, but people still like? Hmmmmm.... I know... RATM!

And so it started, and then someone must have mentioned it to radio 1, who thanks to IKNOWNOTHINGABOUTMUSICUNLESSITSUNDERGROUNDANDNOTRELEASEDBECAUSEIMUBERCOOL Zane Lowe...is played and supported literally every single day!!!

The ironic thing, its not the first Christmas Number 1 to be "against the system". Anyone know what was number 1 of Christmas 1979??

Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall Pt II raftl
Much better song wink

[Linked Image]

------------------------------------------------------------
Old Hand
Old Hand
Sorry but i'm all for Rage Against The Machine.

Having worked at BMG (now Sony Music) some years ago (as did my sister), i know how cocky Simon Cowell is and thinks he rules the UK charts, well, ok so he profits from Rage too (they're on a sub-label of Sony) but he won't get his predictable X-Factor winner to the no.1 slot quite as easily this year. Why should he just assume his winner should have it anyway, let him fight for it for once? I like what the singer of Rage (Zack De La Rocha) said today.

"Simon is an interesting character. He seems to have profited greatly off humiliating people on live television and has a unique position of capturing the attention of people on television, but also the airwaves. We see this as a necessary break of that control."

I bought the mp3 yesterday but i used a link that benefits the charity 'Shelter' and Tom Morello of RATM is donating his share to music related charities within the UK, giving it back to those serious about breaking into the industry without having to go through the make or break cycle of X-Factor/Pop Idol type shows.

On the facebook group that started it all, the admins are not a nasty bunch (can't speak for all on the friends list though) but they just wanna prove a point that Cowell doesn't speak for the entire nation where music is concerned, i've been into rock/alternative for most my life and although i like Joe, its not to my tastes, good luck to him but bring some metal love back to the top 5 - and i don't mean The Killers or McFly! lol.

http://www.facebook.com/settings/?t...php?v=info&ref=ts&gid=2228594104

Donate to Shelter http://www.justgiving.com/ratm4xmas/

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
^well said.^

AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
Im sorry, but that is Bribery.

Oh, download our song and we'll give money to charity.
Dont get me wrong, I dont like X Factor or Joe Dingleberry, but I dislike RATM just as much. If thats how they are resorting to gaining sales, by donating some of their profits to charity, then so be it. End of the day, the charities will benefit. But Its competely wrong for them to jump on the charity bandwagon to make out their doing it for the good of mankind.

RATM are Rap Metal, not proper metal. How about Fade to Black by Metallica? Thats easily a better song, by a proper metal band.

If you want a metal band to run for christmas number 1, try going for someone who hvent become the Modern Day Che Guevarra. That is, people vote/like them, but the majority dont know what they are about, their views..or how they are the least "Qualified" metal band to represent that music genre

[Linked Image]

------------------------------------------------------------
Old Hand
Old Hand
No, Rage didn't re-release this song, sheer demand brought it back and all Tom Morello is saying, whatever he makes off the back of it, he's giving back to the people who bought it, better than him saying "gee thanks for putting us back on the top spot with an old track and i'm gonna go buy a Porche now" isn't it? So RATM isn't everyones cup of tea? Neither is Joe or Metallica, we could be picking a 'metal' song everyone likes for no.1 for years mate and still not get anywhere, at least this is 'in yer face X-Factor' and be done with it for a year. This isn't a genre argument really, its an X-Factor one!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Buy wot you like....or dont buy. Simples.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Totally Rude, its about choice x

Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
I saw RATM in 1993 in the Royal Court! I love them!

Have a look at the video/soundbyte of them playing on Radio 5:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pbq9j#p005n8wp

Tom Morello is a Harvard graduate with folks from a grassroots political background (father in Mau Mau), he's not soft and whether or not he's a millionaire, I think what he's saying is a breath of fresh air. I'd buy a Gary Glitter record if it meant Simon Cowell's project not getting to number 1.
Doesn't SC work for BMG (who was previously 'executive'd' by Simon Cowell's father)? RATM are signed to Sony, and not a subsidiarity? Does anyone have a link to how he is going benefit from this (not The Sun one). wink

Last edited by Violet; 18th Dec 2009 11:18pm.

"C20 LET bang"
Old Hand
Old Hand
BMG no longer exist its now Sony Music but Simons company 'Syco Music' operates under the Sony Music banner. He won't outright benefit from this but Sony will and therefore he'll be patted on the back thanks to some kind of golden handshake deal with the execs no doubt, he has a whole corner of the new Sony building to himself so he must be high up with that lot nowadays.

Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
Jesus, I wonder how The Sun managed to turn that into a headline! I highly doubt he'll get a penny from it, surely!

"C20 LET bang"
Old Hand
Old Hand
This says it all for me though.. taken from Kerrang online. Its a bit longwinded but sums it up nicely.

A few weeks ago Rage Against The Machine fan Jon Morter set up a FaceBook group to encourage rock fans to buy the LA political metaller’s 1992 hit, Killing In The Name, as a protest against the perceived monopoly reality TV show the X Factor has over the Christmas singles market.

Morter told Kerrang! last week that he “snapped” while watching the show one night and set up the group to see who else agreed with him. When K! started covering the story earlier this month, the group had just under 60,000 members. Now it boats a staggering 868,552 members, and 306,115 of whom have purchased Killing In The Name this week putting it just under 9,000 copies ahead of X Factor winner Joe McElderry’s cover of Miley Cyrus' The Climb according to mid-week chart reports.

While it is mildly amusing that a song which features the refrain ’fook you I won’t do what you tell me!’ might be the festive Number One, as it was with The Darkness’s attempt at a Christmas hit in 2003 with Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End), there’s a much more important reason why rock fans should care about this seemingly pointless chart battle – the future of rock music itself.

With reality TV shows such as X Factor, American Idol, Britain’s Got Talent etc. providing record companies with a wealth of fame hungry wannabes that they don’t have to spend time or money promoting or developing because they come complete with a ready made audience who will buy their records regardless, they have stopped signing rock and metal bands who, traditionally, take years to make any significant financial returns for record companies.

“These reality TV shows really puts the blockers on new up and coming bands who write and perform their own stuff because the labels focus on channelling their marketing spend into these (mostly) short term, 'sure-fire' TV-fuelled successes,” a senior music industry figure, who wishes to remain anonymous, told K! “It really isn’t about music, quality of music or longevity for any resulting reality TV show artists or bands.”

“Also these reality TV show artists are deemed a priority within the label and so the newer bands perhaps do not get the true attention and push to radio / press etc. that really need to make their mark, or indeed the financial support to enable them to tour,” our source added. “And what’s worse, this is happening on a global level.”

While the vast majority of comments on this website have been supportive of the Rage Vs X factor campaign, there are still a few disillusioned posters who feel that an X Factor victory is inevitable - it is not! According to figures released by The Official Charts Company, Rage Against The Machine have been significantly ahead of Joe McElderry every day this week.

You’ve still got until 11:59PM tomorrow (Saturday, December 19) to make a difference. And, even if you own it already, you can purchase Killing In The name form a number of online e-tailers for as little as 29p.

Take a stand people, your music needs you!"

Last edited by _jase_; 19th Dec 2009 2:44am.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,648 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,018,003 Spotted!