Hoylake had two lighthouses, known as the upper and the lower lighthouse. The lower lighthouse which was built in 1865 and remained in use until 1908.
It was used as an entrance to the Winter Gardens Cinema until shortly after the First World War, when it was pulled down.
The upper lighthouse was built in 1865 on the site of an earler lighthouse, it was last used in May 1886. Remarkably, the light house has survived.
The purpose of the lights was to guide ships int the Hoyle Lake anchorage at night.