WikiWirral yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,347
Posts1,033,259
Members14,550
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (3 invisible), 10,094 guests, and 611 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
JohnC, Luke2307, jharwood, TamTam, mrbigglesworth
14,550 Registered Users
New General Forums
Do we need Trident?
by derekdwc - 20th Jan 2016 1:11pm
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Looking for Joneses
by Markjon88 - 11th Apr 2019 7:06am
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 15
casper 14
bri445 4
Topic Replies
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:20pm
Gaza
by granny - 15th Mar 2024 10:13pm
Get your Money Tree ready
by StellaSimmons - 11th Mar 2024 11:50am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by bri445 - 4th Mar 2024 5:54pm
Xbox
by TudorBlue - 3rd Mar 2024 8:48pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by Abakumss - 2nd Mar 2024 3:52pm
Oleo Works
by diggingdeeper - 1st Mar 2024 11:51pm
Wiper mechanism needed
by Gibbo - 28th Feb 2024 12:29pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mikeeb Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
"We’ve been informed by Wirral Council’s Rights of Way Officer, Robin Tutchings, of the latest “long awaited” definitive map showing Wirral’s ‘official’ permissive routes and off-road cycle tracks."
Make sure you use the hidden menu on the top left of the web-page to view the key. To the best of Robin’s knowledge the map is accurate, but if you have any suggestions for corrections then please contact Robin at [email protected].

Please note, this only covers WBC and not the whole of the Wirral Peninsula.
Although it does not cover every single path, it is the best one that I've seen to date.

https://mapping.wirral.gov.uk/WML8/map.aspx?mapname=PRoW

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I find the following map very handy https://footpathmap.co.uk/map

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
mikeeb Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
The link isn't working DD.

mikeeb Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
https://footpathmap.co.uk/map/?zoom=7&lng=-1.85000&lat=53.00000

Thamks for the link DD, it is way better. happy

Smartchild
Smartchild
When it came to reporting the flooding on the old rail track by lever brothers he was very helpful and had an excellent job done. Robin is obviously a cyclist at heart.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
It doesn't show a lot of cycle routes. The one along the Dock road from four Bridges that looks as if it might get extended after teh converted warehouses for instance. There are also a number along the A41 between New Ferry and Bromborough / Eastam made from wide pavements being shared with cycle paths.

There are also cycle routes along the A41 in Rock Ferry and New Ferry if you can call them that. Marked off bits of road. In New Ferry blocks have been placed to keep motorists off them.

mikeeb Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Email Robin, and hopefully he will correct the map and add them routes.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
The Ramblers Association have been a massive exercise of checking footpaths on old maps against current OS maps, so far they have discovered 49,000 miles of footpaths missing. The Government has agreed to to allow until 2026 to re-establish lost footpaths.

I've got to say that this would appear to have been a conscious decision by Ordnance Survey to delete old footpaths off their maps.

The Wirral has at least 27 miles of lost footpaths. I find this surprising as I thought Wirral Footpaths and Open Spaces Society had been coordinating walking Wirral's footpaths on a regular basis since 1888. It was them that took over maintenance of the footpath signs and stiles as well as clearance.

https://www.ramblers.org.uk/get-involved/campaign-with-us/dont-lose-your-way-2026.aspx

http://www.wirralfootpaths.org.uk

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

mikeeb Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
I can understand that paths may get overgrown and disappear if not used but how does it lose its public rights of way status?
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
The Ramblers Association have been a massive exercise of checking footpaths on old maps against current OS maps, so far they have discovered 49,000 miles of footpaths missing. The Government has agreed to to allow until 2026 to re-establish lost footpaths.

I've got to say that this would appear to have been a conscious decision by Ordnance Survey to delete old footpaths off their maps.

I was reading a blog from OS last week from about public rights of way, and it seems the decision to delete footpaths from their updated maps is down to each local authority which they then amend in their next publication.

"Public rights of way information is sent to us by local authorities, and a right of way doesn’t necessarily mean a footpath on the ground. We’re also often asked about blocked or overgrown rights of way. These need to be reported to your local authority too and, if any changes on our maps are required, they will pass that information along."

Someone asked them about their maps showing a public rights of way but saying there was no actual right of way or footpath there, and their response was: "Rights of way are managed by the Local Authority, who will advise us any amendments, which we will then include in the next revision of our paper mapping products. Our Explorer mapping depicts Public Rights of Way with green dashed lines as you say. Of course, Rights of way are liable to change and may not be clearly defined on the ground (there doesn’t need to be a physical path on the ground for a public right of way to exist). You can always check with the relevant local authority for the latest information. If there is a conflict between our mapping and the Local Authority’s Definitive Map, the Definitive Map should take precedent.

As Rights of Way are managed by the Local Authority, any changes/errors should be reported to them and they will then instruct us to update our map to reflect changes to the Rights of Way."

They compared their map with the local authority map in question, and OS found they both matched.
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2018/07/right-to-roam-public-rights-of-way/

Where are the 27 miles of missing paths in Wirral? I would ike to check them out.
Wirral Footpaths and Open Spaces Society says: "The Society needs your support to ensure that the paths in the Hundred of Wirral are walked regularly and that any problems are reported to the local authorities concerned."

Unfortunately, it seems that it is the local authority that can't be arsed with them.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by mikeeb
Where are the 27 miles of missing paths in Wirral? I would ike to check them out.
Wirral Footpaths and Open Spaces Society says: "The Society needs your support to ensure that the paths in the Hundred of Wirral are walked regularly and that any problems are reported to the local authorities concerned."

Unfortunately, it seems that it is the local authority that can't be arsed with them.

Quite the opposite, the Council gave the contract to the society to maintain them under a mutual agreement.

OS were semi-privatised (Private company wholly owned by Government) and basically have to manage their own sources of income, off-loading the footpath mapping to councils is an obvious thing to do, especially as income from the footpaths was only 5% of their revenue.

If someone exclusively uses a footpath for other purposes, after a certain period of time they can claim rights but there are numerous different laws governing this and it becomes a bit vague and contradictory. I know of one Wirral right-of-way that was diverted purely because a relative blocked it off and there was no evidence to show the previous time it had been used as a right of way to contradict the owner. The alternative route had become the norm for walkers so it was formalised.

Sometimes the Council will divert a footpath on request if it is relatively simple and remains convenient, but as their purse strings are pulled together this will happen less and less.

On other occasions builders have been forced to rectify problems where they have blocked right of way. Near to Cleaver hospital was one of these places, someone bought a new home to discover that people had the right to walk straight through their property, I can't remember the exact outcome, it droned on for quite some time.

I might get involved in this Society, my other voluntary humping and dumping work has come to a bit of a lull for the next year or so while we are negotiating contracts with different parties and I need the exercise.

mikeeb Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by DD
Quite the opposite, the Council gave the contract to the society to maintain them under a mutual agreement.

This is confusing.
So when the Wirral Footpaths and Open Spaces Preservation Society says "The Society needs your support to ensure that the paths in the Hundred of Wirral are walked regularly and that any problems are reported to the local authorities concerned."
Do they mean report it themselves because, as you say, they are the authority concerned, or do they mean WBC?

Originally Posted by DD
OS were semi-privatised (Private company wholly owned by Government) and basically have to manage their own sources of income, off-loading the footpath mapping to councils is an obvious thing to do, especially as income from the footpaths was only 5% of their revenue.

So by following the councils mapping of footpaths, it is the council/society concerned that is at fault for not mapping them.

Originally Posted by DD

Should they leave them on new additions of their maps leading many people down dead ends that local councils have built on or blocked off?

Originally Posted by DD
On other occasions builders have been forced to rectify problems where they have blocked right of way. Near to Cleaver hospital was one of these places, someone bought a new home to discover that people had the right to walk straight through their property, I can't remember the exact outcome, it droned on for quite some time.

This again seems like a cock up from the councils planning allowing the building in the first place.
What is confusing me is, who has the complete authority to map these public rights of way?

Originally Posted by DD
I might get involved in this Society, my other voluntary humping and dumping work has come to a bit of a lull for the next year or so while we are negotiating contracts with different parties and I need the exercise.

Good luck DD. wink

Incidently, do you know where these 27 miles of lost footpaths on the Wirral are? I'd like to check them out.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
The way I see it

Public rights of way come about under common law, you don't require planning permission to create a right of way, in fact I doubt if there is a proper process to create a right of way in terms of unmade footpaths. It is approached from the other direction, you have right of way everywhere unless there is something that legally says you do not.

For the public to maintain a historic right of way, the right of way must be shown to be in continual use by the public (as opposed to eg householders that live at the end of the path).

If there is an established boundary then you can't start crossing that and call it a right of way, however if there is an established footpath (mapped or otherwise) used by the public then you can't create a boundary that blocks it.

There is no singular authority - it depends on historic and continual usage.

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Xbox
by TudorBlue - 3rd Mar 2024 8:48pm
Possible Cause of Dementia
by diggingdeeper - 22nd Feb 2024 2:08am
Wiper mechanism needed
by Peter0787 - 20th Feb 2024 4:07pm
For Sale & Free
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Gibbo
Gibbo
Formby
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
Floral pavilion promo code?
by TheComputerLab - 31st Dec 2018 2:11pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am
New Enthusiast Forums
Xbox