Forums
Posted By: Mark Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 30th Mar 2008 1:38pm
Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo)

Ive been there once, any pictures or more info?
Posted By: Waddi Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 30th Mar 2008 2:52pm
Posted this a few threads ago

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 30th Mar 2008 4:04pm
I was there last week; will post some photo's later.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 30th Mar 2008 4:32pm
Oops Will make links later Waddi wink

So i guess the bear pit is about here Click Me
Posted By: chiccy Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 30th Mar 2008 4:56pm
i have ill get em on now xx
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 30th Mar 2008 6:30pm
heres some smile

Attached picture Picture 015 copy.jpg
Attached picture Picture 016 copy.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 30th Mar 2008 6:40pm
Nice one wink

What's the daft tube at the bottom?
Posted By: chiccy Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 30th Mar 2008 7:20pm
heres our pics...

i acytually took them to start p topic on here an forgot lmao!

Description: fireplacey type thingy
Attached picture wirralhistory001.jpg
Attached picture wirralhistory002.jpg

Description: fountain
Attached picture wirralhistory003.jpg

Description: another fountain
Attached picture wirralhistory004.jpg

Description: fountain info..
Attached picture wirralhistory005.jpg

Description: 3rd fountian(ithink)
Attached picture wirralhistory006.jpg

Description: not a very good 1 of the bear pit
Attached picture wirralhistory007.jpg

Description: steps down to the bear pit
Attached picture wirralhistory008.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 30th Mar 2008 7:29pm
Nice one Gail happy
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 30th Mar 2008 10:15pm
Mark, They used to tie the bears up to a pole in the pit, I believe...and theyd release dogs into the arena or so Ive been told...but dont quote me on that bit.....

I used to do orientering for my Secondary school (for all 7 years....we won the Championship every year)....and we used to compete in Eastham woods.....

One year, a control was in the bear pit itself..so we went flying down the ridiculously steep and slippy steps at speed....only to come up to the very small entrance....so dangerous hahahaha....a few bruised backs and wet rear ends were experienced
Posted By: Waddi Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 30th Mar 2008 10:27pm
I beleive that the pole was a feeding station, they would use a long pole to reach over from the side and load the top of the pole with food to encourage the bears to climb, and therefore entertain the visiting public.

It is a well known victorian zoo keeping practice.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 30th Mar 2008 11:07pm
I found this:

Originally Posted by
Since the Middle Ages, a ferry service operated across the river Mersey between Eastham and Liverpool, the early ferries being run by monks from the Abbey of St. Werburgh. By the late 1700's, up to 40 coaches each day arrived at a newly built pier, carrying passengers and goods for the ferry. Paddle steamers were introduced in 1816 to replace the sailboats, but the demand for a service declined in the 1840's with the opening of a railway link between Chester and Birkenhead Woodside Ferry. In 1846, the owner of the ferry, Thomas Stanley, built the Eastham Ferry Hotel and shortly after, the Pleasure Gardens were added to attract more visitors. The gardens were landscaped with Rhododendrons, Azaleas, ornamental trees and fountains. Attractions included a zoo, with bears, lions, monkeys and antelope, an open air stage, tea rooms, bandstand, ballroom, boating lake, water chute and a loop-the loop roller coaster. Entertainers performed in the gardens during summer, and included Blondin, the famous tight-rope walker who once wheeled a local boy across a high wire in a wheelbarrow.

Clicky
Posted By: hazza Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 11th Nov 2009 2:53pm
Going on from the pics posted by chiccy, the first 2 which are described as fireplace type things, since we were kids we have always known these to be the lions dens, get inside them and you can see scratch marks on the sandstone.
They were probably more mundane than a lions den, but have since told kids and nephews etc that is what they are, so the legend lives.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 11th Nov 2009 3:21pm
I've never seen or heard of this place! Fascinating! Must go see it.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 11th Nov 2009 3:49pm
We had a meet there last year smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 11th Nov 2009 3:51pm
What a motley crew.
Are you wearing a stab vest Stu?
Posted By: Waddi Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 22nd Nov 2009 1:42am
Originally Posted by hazza
Going on from the pics posted by chiccy, the first 2 which are described as fireplace type things, since we were kids we have always known these to be the lions dens, get inside them and you can see scratch marks on the sandstone.
They were probably more mundane than a lions den, but have since told kids and nephews etc that is what they are, so the legend lives.

Sorry to ruin it for you, but these were actually housing area's for the water pumps that supplied the fountains.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 22nd Nov 2009 1:58am
^ Who's who in that piccy?

I got a picture earlier this year of a tree fallen down into the middle of it. Thank god there were no bears in there!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 22nd Nov 2009 3:19am
From Left to right...

Stuy, Chris, Joe(?), Me (MGCraig), Pomp, Nikki, Jen Jen, Sausage, Aceritz, Sanchez......

Im not too sure on the last one sorry Violet frown
Posted By: Rickie_Robbo Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 22nd Nov 2009 11:33am
the last 1 is Al smile
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 24th Mar 2011 7:47pm
Went here today was brilliant laugh... are there any other old places like this around the wirral for public to walk around? Victorian era's.......
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 24th Mar 2011 8:01pm
Leelad - keep an eye on the Wiki Walks thread. We went out to Eastham last year. It's the type of place we tend to take a wander around and you may be interested
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/10/1/Wiki_Walks.html
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 26th Mar 2011 8:17pm
thanks smile...

were could i find more on the history of this place? seems very interesting to me!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 26th Mar 2011 8:25pm
Originally Posted by leelad03
thanks smile...

were could i find more on the history of this place? seems very interesting to me!

If you go into the Ranger's Centre, there's a big display on the wall with history and old photos.
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 26th Mar 2011 9:19pm
were is that place? im not from the wirral you see im all the way over in huyton lol...
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 26th Mar 2011 9:53pm
Confused - did you go to Eastham today or not?
Posted By: sockbag Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 26th Mar 2011 10:25pm
I love the bear pit
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 27th Mar 2011 11:25am
yes i have been, but didnt see a rangers center... we just parked up and west straight into the woods area..
Posted By: geejay64 Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 6th Apr 2011 8:54pm
hi all, i lived in eastham for over 20 years, and i'm quite familiar with the old zoo sites. there are many theories and opinions about the relics, but anyone actually know what happened to the animals, where did they go? what happened to the gates and the archway entrance to the gardens (to the left of the eastham ferry hotel carpark).?
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Eastham : Bear Pits ( Zoo) - 6th Apr 2011 9:29pm
That a shop or somethign were they used the victorian ticket office for the pier ??
© Wirral-Wikiwirral