Taken from historyofwallasey.co.uk
Shopping in Wallasey Village
At No. 146 was the furniture maker, Charles Dalrymple. He had knocked a number of small building into one. The tunnel had to walk through a sort of tunnel-like passage to see the products on show. Tables, chairs, sideboards, etc., were all made of oak and other timbers which were all nicely stained and polished. The site is now part of St. Mary's College grounds. John Baker (confectioner) and Arthur Cornwell (hardware) were in this part of the village. Robert Webster lived at No.160 and he was a market gardener. George Shaw kept the 'Traveller's Rest' public house. Dick Goodwin and Ted Farnworth were previous landlords. It closed in 1939. The College grounds now occupy the site. Thomas Sparks lived 'Laburnum Cottage', which had been built in 1816. This fine sandstone cottage had to be demolished for road widening. Mr. Sparks died on 10th April, 1932. His son married Miss. Povall from the Village. The cottage carried the initials TSA which stood for Thomas Senior and Maybe Anne. There were two other sons, who lived in Marlwood Road. The cottage stood where St. Mary's College grounds are. Eric Barker, a policeman, lived at No.90 and George Nelson lived in the next house. George Strong was next door-but-one to the policeman. It was then called 'Holly Cottage'.
hope it's of some help