Forums
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Car parking charges - 1st Feb 2012 11:20pm
Over the last couple of days I have been travelling around a bit for work, one thing that has struck me is the difference in charges for council car parking in various locations, examples :-

Formby - on street parking free for two hours
Crosby - 80p for two hours
Cheadle - 30p for two hours
Frodsham - Free parking for up to two hours

Compsre and contrast to Wirral
Posted By: reddragon Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 12:17am
and a loan advisor on every corner of the carpark raftl
Posted By: Duxdeluxe Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 7:31am
New Brighton, free all day, sounds good to me
Posted By: davew3 Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 9:33am
Haven't been into Birkenhead or Liscard since May last year, we go shopping in Mold 20p, Widnes free, this lot of political dunces we have in charge are killing even stopping at shops with double yellow lines, crossing, fences and very high parking fees and that bloody car with the telescopic camera, cheaper to go out of town these days and even to other towns than go to our local town shopping centres.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 9:40am
Fair enough if you like going to Mold or Widnes etc. But wont be the saving in carparking charges be more than off-set by the extra petrol used?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 11:19am
If parking in the town centres were free you can be almost certain that the car parks would then be full up. The complaint then would be "I never go to town because I can't park". I personally don't think the charges are unreasonable at around £1 an hour
Posted By: Wench Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 11:31am
Be thankful you don't live in Cambridge! We had to pay the following for parking:

Up to 1 hour £1.80 (M-F 0730-1700) £1.90 (Sat 0900-1700)
Up to 2 hours £3.50 £3.80
Up to 3 hours £5.20 £5.50
Up to 4 hours £8.50 £9
Up to 5 hours £15.50 £16
Over 5 hours £22 £22

Sundays were £1.80/hr!

I think the cheapest car park in the city centre was about £1.20 an hour. I nearly died the first time I went shopping there and had to pay £22 for parking!!
Posted By: Littlebear Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 2:05pm
I don't go to Birkenhead because there's nothing there. Parking and rabid parking wardens are just another factor.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 3:08pm
Originally Posted by Duxdeluxe
New Brighton, free all day, sounds good to me

Lol, defo, but thats just a ploy to try and get people back down that way smile
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 3:30pm
[quote=davew3]Haven't been into Birkenhead or Liscard since May last year,quote

I hardly ever go to Birkenhead as I hate paying to park. If going I leave my car at the Train station and go to Conway Park Station.

Find Bromborough very handy for free parking and choice of shops
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 6:02pm
Originally Posted by Touchstone
Fair enough if you like going to Mold or Widnes etc. But wont be the saving in carparking charges be more than off-set by the extra petrol used?
Not to mention the sly Gatso and speed traps along the way [youtube]2OYseCC4dwY[/youtube]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 7:42pm
Thank yourselfs lucky you don't work at Liverpool one like myself. no

Day rate (09:00-16:00) 

Up to 1 hour  £2.40
Up to 2 hours  £4.80
Up to 3 hours  £7.00
Up to 4 hours   £9.00
Up to 10 hours  £10.00
Up to 11 hours  £12.00
Up to 12 hours  £13.00 
24 hours  £14.00
Evening rate (16:00-09:00) 
 1 hour             £2.40 Up to a max of £6.00
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 8:05pm
Originally Posted by _Jase_
Thank yourselfs lucky you don't work at Liverpool one like myself. no

Day rate (09:00-16:00) 

Up to 1 hour  £2.40
Up to 2 hours  £4.80
Up to 3 hours  £7.00
Up to 4 hours   £9.00
Up to 10 hours  £10.00
Up to 11 hours  £12.00
Up to 12 hours  £13.00 
24 hours  £14.00
Evening rate (16:00-09:00) 
 1 hour             £2.40 Up to a max of £6.00

I paid £12:50 to park all day today at Williamson Square. I am glad the company's paying for it. I would definitely get the train if I was there for pleasure.

I actively avoid anywhere that charges for parking and spend my money elsewhere. I really don't like the principle of it especially when you can get what you want at retail parks and supermarkets instead.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 8:42pm
Use ya nod n go shopping after 15:00 on weekday if your going to Bhead. It's free, and there isnt enough shops there to warrant more than a few hours shopping lol.

Or as above, Brom is okay, so long as they have what you want. There is free parking everywhere (except Liverpool City Centre), if you are prepared to walk 5 minutes. I've never understood why people are okay to spend 3 hours walking round shops etc, and need to park 2 seconds walk away and pay a fiver for the privilege lol.
Posted By: Littlebear Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 10:18pm
That's true, even parking in a railway car park and using the train is cheaper than paying a few hours Liverpool parking.
Birkenhead Asda car park is free after 3pm as well.
Posted By: Angharad111 Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 11:24pm
If you are shopping in New Brighton Morrisons and thinking of leaving your car and going for a stroll along the prom to get an ice cream - think again. Car parking is free for two hours and then you get an invoice for parking in the post. This is normal now in Asda, Tescos, Aldi,and Lidl. A camera takes a shot of your registration as you go into the parking area and a shot of you when you leave. The computer programme does the rest. The warnings about car parking are somewhere in the parking area but as yet I have got to find the one at New B Morrisons. Tescos let you have an extra hour at xmas. Tesco staff have to hand in their registrations to the admin office so that they don't get charged for parking. Even that system doesn't work sometimes and they have to pay the fine and appeal and prove they are Tesco employees. Info re parking is on the Morrisons web site. My friend got done in Heswall Aldi even though she was a customer! She met a friend in Aldi went for a coffee and hey presto got a fine in the post.
Posted By: Littlebear Re: Car parking charges - 2nd Feb 2012 11:54pm
I don't think you those parking fines are actually enforceable though.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Car parking charges - 3rd Feb 2012 3:10am
Originally Posted by Littlebear
I don't think you those parking fines are actually enforceable though.

Not strictly no, technically they could be in a court of law, dependent on how they were regulated and enforced etc...

But I wouldn't bother my ass to pay one haha!!
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Car parking charges - 3rd Feb 2012 3:32pm
[Linked Image]

No one is safe Mwahahahaha
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Car parking charges - 3rd Feb 2012 6:07pm
Originally Posted by Angharad111
If you are shopping in New Brighton Morrisons and thinking of leaving your car and going for a stroll along the prom to get an ice cream - think again. Car parking is free for two hours and then you get an invoice for parking in the post. This is normal now in Asda, Tescos, Aldi,and Lidl. A camera takes a shot of your registration as you go into the parking area and a shot of you when you leave. The computer programme does the rest. The warnings about car parking are somewhere in the parking area but as yet I have got to find the one at New B Morrisons. Tescos let you have an extra hour at xmas. Tesco staff have to hand in their registrations to the admin office so that they don't get charged for parking. Even that system doesn't work sometimes and they have to pay the fine and appeal and prove they are Tesco employees. Info re parking is on the Morrisons web site. My friend got done in Heswall Aldi even though she was a customer! She met a friend in Aldi went for a coffee and hey presto got a fine in the post.

This has been going on for years now in many supermarkets. I actually agree with it. It is their car park and they can do what they like. You would be on here complaining if there where no spaces left when you came to do your shopping because the car park was full of people strolling round the beach/general local area eating ice cream.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Car parking charges - 3rd Feb 2012 6:09pm
Originally Posted by Nelzy84
[Linked Image]

No one is safe Mwahahahaha

i bet whover clamped them took extreme care when fitting and removing them
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Car parking charges - 3rd Feb 2012 6:29pm
Hope so million pound koneigsegg in front 600,000 lambo murcielago sv in back, they were later put on the back of a low loader
Posted By: Angharad111 Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 7:38am
I agree with what you have written. What I was trying to portray that not a lot of people know that about car parking restrictions on supermarket car parks. It was purely meant for information purposes so that people realize this when parking on supermarket property and think that they can park free gratis all day. Where does one park if you go to the Light cinema in New Brighton, and its a Harry Potter film that is over two hours long!!? Not in the Morrisons car park. I for one would be upset because I couldn't do my shopping because of people using for free parking all day. Then I would moan and complain.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 10:42am
Unfortunately there are some that love to play the ignorant card "ooh sorry I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to leave my car there all day". I bet there is no sign in their drive / outside their house but if I parked my car there they would squeal like pigs raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 11:56am
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Unfortunately there are some that love to play the ignorant card "ooh sorry I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to leave my car there all day". I bet there is no sign in their drive / outside their house but if I parked my car there they would squeal like pigs raftl

You can leave your car in my driveway as long as you want, I'll even open the leccy gates, there's plenty of room for all haha! But someone left a car in my mates driveway last week and they didnt know whose it was... I told her, park your car behind it, thus blocking the prick in, and then pretend to be out when they come knocking. The lights are on, but there's nobody home.

Serves them right I say, cheeky sods lol!!
Posted By: 1971efc Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 1:47pm
just been to birkenhead myself and the indoor carpark above argos has changed its tarif,,, the sign by the lifts says £1 for the first hour and £2 all day,, dont know if it was a couple of days gimick or all the time
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 1:54pm
There are signs all round the Pyramids saying the same for their csr park - clearly trying to encourage folk in which can only be good
Posted By: turnip Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 5:23pm

I completely agree with these charges. I work at the Morrisons in West Kirby and on many occasions I have ended up having to pay to park somewhere else because people are parking there and then just going for a walk or doing something else. Why should staff have to pay to go into work? And I see people doing this all the time.
Posted By: lemonhead Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 7:27pm
Originally Posted by AlexT

I completely agree with these charges. I work at the Morrisons in West Kirby and on many occasions I have ended up having to pay to park somewhere else because people are parking there and then just going for a walk or doing something else. Why should staff have to pay to go into work? And I see people doing this all the time.

what they should is have a staff car park, done
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 7:38pm
Morrisons in West Kirby's car park is way way too small as it is, without them making part of it staff only. When I used to go there I would always park in the road opposite with the 30 minute restriction rather than get involved in the car park there.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 7:41pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
Morrisons in West Kirby's car park is way way too small as it is, without them making part of it staff only. When I used to go there I would always park in the road opposite with the 30 minute restriction rather than get involved in the car park there.

Before she moved here, Stacey used to live in Wekka and we never had a problem parking in Morrisons for shopping. Although, it is a bit small for the local populous (nobody will walk 5 yards). The fact that 90% are pensioners who should have been off the road years ago, doesn't help with the confusion you sometimes see taking place lol.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 8:39pm
The fact that 90% are pensioners who should have been off the road years ago, doesn't help with the confusion you sometimes see taking place lol.
MATTLFC.
SO I TAKE IT YOU WILL HAND YOUR CAR KEYS AND DRIVING LICENCE BACK WHEN YOUR A PENSIONER.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 8:44pm
Not all of them, but most of them do seem like they're in another world most of the time... and don't have a clue about modern road signs and regulations.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 9:18pm
Originally Posted by jimbob
The fact that 90% are pensioners who should have been off the road years ago, doesn't help with the confusion you sometimes see taking place lol.
MATTLFC.
SO I TAKE IT YOU WILL HAND YOUR CAR KEYS AND DRIVING LICENCE BACK WHEN YOUR A PENSIONER.

wikitext

Cheers smile
Posted By: little_pob Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 9:20pm
The Government were looking into making private car parking tickets legally enforceable as a conciliation for making the rules over clamping on private property stricter. However, they are largely unenforceable - plenty of info on the web.
... Where does one park if you go to the Light cinema in New Brighton, and its a Harry Potter film that is over two hours long!!? Not in the Morrisons car park. I for one would be upset because I couldn't do my shopping because of people using for free parking all day. Then I would moan and complain.
Bad example. The car park at the Neptune Development doesn't belong to Morrisons, and is there for anyone using any of the facilities at Marine Point. There is even a large sign at the entrance to that car park saying something like "The Light Multiscreen Cinema - Free Car Park".
Posted By: Norton Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 11:11pm
There was a free public car park in Dee Lane, West Kirby. Then they built Safeways on the site, which Morrisons took over.

After the Claughton Road and Conway Street area was cleared for the flyovers, a free car park was built. Then they built the first Asda store. When Asda was demolished, the car park was re-vamped, and later lost a bit in building the new bus terminus, but it wasn't free anymore.

While at Arrowe Park, there was a free public car park from before the hospital was built. Its on Arrowe Park Road, on the north-east corner of the site, from where you can walk into the park. Some of the hospital car parks were adjacent to it. When the barriers went up and the hospital charged for parking, they made the only way in or out via the barriers with a ticket. The old blue 'P' sign was still there then. I have not looked lately, but it might still be there. To me, it always looked like the hospital were now charging to use a free public car park. How could that happen?

Back in Birkenhead, a few car parks were created on the land where the houses of Camden St etc once stood. Europa Boulevard, some offices and Conway Park station were built, leaving just the rough surface car park on Price St, its actual entrance being Camden St itself. There was a man in a hut who took the car parking charge, and no charge was made for motorcycles. Then just after New Year (1999 I think), a 'Public Notice' appeared in the local paper - Pay & Display from 1st March. I asked the man in the hut, but nobody had told him! (He did say that he had seen council workmen putting up a notice on the lamp post that day. It was indeed a copy of the Order. Nice way to find out you were to loose you're job.)
Anyway, the Order made provision for Pay & Display for all vehicles (including motorbikes) to be parked on the surface of the car park, in a marked space and not its verges or borders, as well as display a valid ticket stuck to the inside of the windscreen.
Last time I went past there was still no propper surface or markings and there aren't too many bikes with windscreens! So it makes you wonder if a fine on there would be enforcable. (Perhaps with the right lawyers?)

Anybody tried to work out the number of parking places that have been lost on the front at New Brighton? I think its well over 100. And where do you park a coach full of day trippers these days?

And why don't the council use some of the land by Birkenhead North as a 'Park & Ride'? I guess they would have to fund a firm of transport consultants to find out.
Posted By: Angharad111 Re: Car parking charges - 4th Feb 2012 11:41pm
On the Morrisons web site for New Brighton is clearly says Parking is limited to two hours.
Posted By: turnip Re: Car parking charges - 5th Feb 2012 10:00am
Originally Posted by KevinFinity

Problem is when you're working a 9 hour shift 30 minutes isnt long enough tease
Posted By: lemonhead Re: Car parking charges - 5th Feb 2012 2:42pm
free parking down town today yipee
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Car parking charges - 5th Feb 2012 5:24pm
Originally Posted by AlexT
Problem is when you're working a 9 hour shift 30 minutes isnt long enough tease

Its great if you only need a few bits mid week though and the car park is grid locked. If I was there for 9 hours I would park on one of the streets if the car park was full. I lived in West Kirby for 10 years and never once paid to park on my frequent trips into that end of the place. Most of the time it was on the way back from somewhere else so I would be in the car and not on foot.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Car parking charges - 5th Feb 2012 5:54pm
Originally Posted by lemonhead
free parking down town today yipee

Is this every Sunday, or just today?

smile
Posted By: lemonhead Re: Car parking charges - 5th Feb 2012 6:57pm
dont know matt, i will find out next week laugh
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Car parking charges - 5th Feb 2012 7:58pm
every sunday
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Car parking charges - 5th Feb 2012 8:01pm
Originally Posted by mrhanky
every sunday
About time too, it used to be free on Sundays anyway. Did this start recently, I don't remember it being in place before Xmas??

Great way to boost trade if so!
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Car parking charges - 5th Feb 2012 10:10pm
think the new charges started on friday? the memo said 'spring' but think it's permanent.
Posted By: Angharad111 Re: Car parking charges - 11th Feb 2012 7:26am
Thank you - that clears things up a lot
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Car parking charges - 11th Feb 2012 9:13am
Matt - Pyramids were free on a Sunday before Christmas.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Car parking charges - 11th Feb 2012 10:43am
On the Morrisons web site for New Brighton is clearly says Parking is limited to two hours.

I am shocked as I thought the car park was for Morrisons and all the businesses in the complex, and had no idea there was a limit.Was hoping to use the cinema again but where is best to park for safe parking nearby?

We were over three hours over a month ago, so do I wait for a fine in the post? I hope not.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Car parking charges - 15th Feb 2012 10:53am
Originally Posted by paxvobiscum

I am shocked as I thought the car park was for Morrisons and all the businesses in the complex, and had no idea there was a limit.Was hoping to use the cinema again but where is best to park for safe parking nearby?

We were over three hours over a month ago, so do I wait for a fine in the post? I hope not.

Park in the "Morrisons" car park. They don't own the site, Neptune do.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Car parking charges - 15th Feb 2012 11:53am
I didn't know of this 2 hour restriction. The staff in Morrisons (NB) are told to use the carpark on the left as you enter the complex. I will look into it, as I would have thought it was unlimited parking. If you went to the cinema, have a meal and then a stroll you would be well over the limit!
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Car parking charges - 15th Feb 2012 1:57pm
From "The Light" website:-

"There is ample free parking on site at Marine Point. This can be found by following the signs for Morrisons."
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Car parking charges - 15th Feb 2012 2:15pm
Originally Posted by Wally1

"There is ample free parking on site at Marine Point. This can be found by following the signs for Morrisons."

I think everyone is happy that it is free to park down there - the confusion is over how long can you park for free.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Car parking charges - 15th Feb 2012 2:50pm
Originally Posted by Wally1

I think everyone is happy that it is free to park down there - the confusion is over how long can you park for free.
I've emailed Neptune to see what they say.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Car parking charges - 15th Feb 2012 4:26pm
Originally Posted by little_pob
I've emailed Neptune to see what they say.
Got this reply:
Users of the development are entitled to park for free within all 750 parking spaces within the development.

The restriction is in place to act as a deterrent to those who do not intend to visit any of the units within the development, but take advantage of the free parking.

kind regards

Marine Point Team

Basically, if you are worried keep your receipts. But as long as you're not using it as a park and ride for the bus and train day in, day out you'll have nothing to worry about.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Car parking charges - 17th Feb 2012 10:57am
Thank you Little Pob for checking this out. It's good news
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Car parking charges - 17th Feb 2012 11:32am
It still doesn't say how long you can park there for. Strikes me as a bit of a "non answer" TBH
Posted By: gopher Re: Car parking charges - 17th Feb 2012 1:04pm
Green Lane Merseyrail Station, has 2 Wirral Borough Council car parks next to it, both free parking as well!
Posted By: little_pob Re: Car parking charges - 17th Feb 2012 2:03pm
It still doesn't say how long you can park there for. Strikes me as a bit of a "non answer" TBH
Depends which way you read it... I read it that you can park for as long as you like, provided you are using the facilities at the development.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Car parking charges - 17th Feb 2012 2:38pm
Sorry Little Pob, I didn't mean to sound dismissive.
I read their reply as being deliberately ambiguous and open to interpretation in any way. IMO a recipe for an argument should they suddenly decide that someone has over stayed their welcome.
Posted By: Deggsyr Re: Car parking charges - 17th Feb 2012 8:17pm
I could just about use up a pound's worth of parking time, shopping in Birkenhead if I walked slowly, and stopped somewhere for a cup of tea
Posted By: Angharad111 Re: Car parking charges - 7th May 2012 9:24am
The official Morrissons web site says that there are restrictions. But there there are no signs up as of last Saturday. There are loads of cameras to be seen. Maybe, they cant enforce it due to the fact the car parking is shared with other business'.
Posted By: mezmrz Re: Car parking charges - 10th Apr 2013 1:20pm
Have noticed that the "Free after 3" scheme has ended:-

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/news/22-03-2013/new-car-parking-charges

I wonder whether the Birkenhead Asda car park will continue with the scheme. It will be such a pain from now on having to get a ticket for every shopping trip now!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral