Forums
Posted By: polo_phil Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 3:42pm

I thought I'd share these Construction and opening Pics of the old College on Borough Road. Thanks to Wirral Met (and whoever originally took the photos) for the pics.

Attached picture ExcavatingFoundations3.jpg
Attached picture ExcavatingFoundations2.jpg
Attached picture ExcavatingFoundations1.jpg
Attached picture ErectingSteelwork3.jpg
Attached picture ErectingSteelwork2.jpg
Attached picture ErectingSteelwork1.jpg
Attached picture Construction2.jpg
Attached picture Construction1.jpg
Attached picture BROpening-1951.jpg
Attached picture ComemorationStone.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 3:46pm
Great pics Phil. I went there once...or twice!

Posted By: polo_phil Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 3:55pm
I have more of inside somewhere and of the demolition...
Will have a look when I get chance... don't want to spoil you too much all at once.
Posted By: starakita Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 4:52pm
Nice pics thanks for sharing.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 4:56pm
Excellent pics thanks for sharing

Does anyone know where the smoke in 1st pic is from and what the buildings are in the 3rd pic
Posted By: starakita Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 5:04pm
Probably st Caths hospital.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 5:09pm
Went there about 1951 to 1954. Totally cheerless place for evening classes. But when did the old Tech close?
Posted By: Blondie Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 5:53pm
I think that it is Woodchurch Road Primary. My school !!
I'm sure I remember seeing the old college from the back classrooms.
Cool pics thumbsup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 5:58pm
The large building in the background of the 3rd pic is Woodchurch Rd. Primary School. I went there and remember looking at the construction work of the "new" Tech.

Later (1959/60) I went to the Tech on day release whilst serving my apprenticeship. Yes Bri445, you are quite right, totally cheerless sums it up ! In the early '70's I went to evening classes (trying to learn Welsh) there. The Principal/boss was Mr Vincent Fenton (?). A right stickler for doing things right. The cry of "Look out - here's Vince" rang down the still cheerless corridors! Fags out !!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 5:58pm
Beat me to it Blondie !!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 6:16pm
I spent the first 12 months of my apprenticeship there, full time, with this motley crew, pics taken around the side where the workshops were.

Attached picture tech_col.jpg
Posted By: buddy Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 7:25pm
Thanks for posting Polo_Phil - I too was a day release member 1958-1964!!!
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 9:20pm
Which one's you Bert?

I'll post pics of inside tomorrow
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 9:37pm
Brilliant pics. When I worked for the Council in the 70s the rumour was that the Council's secret cold war operations bunker was in the basement of the college. Apparently every council had to have one so the 'important' people could be saved in the event of nuclear attack.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 9:54pm
Info from a book i have.

Attached picture text2.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 10:35pm
Yes, in the event of nuclear naughtiness happening, a bunker was indeed installed/built under the theatre end for the chosen few. After Russia went tits up and the cold war ended, the bunker was no longer needed. I think it ended its days as a recording studio/storeroom/dump.

Can't find the link at the moment, but I'm sure there's something to that effect on the Sub.Brit site.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 10:39pm
Link here (hopefully) :-

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/b/birkenhead/index.html

Site Name: Birkenhead - Wirral Metropolitan Borough Emergency Centre/Merseyside County Standby (Site 2)

SJ312875
Borough Road
Birkenhead

RSG site visit 4th December 2001

[Source: Nick Catford with technical information from Nick Willasey Liverpool City Council EPO]

Birkenhead Corporation Control was located in a purpose built Civil Defence Corps Control Centre beneath the Technical College Theatre (later re-named the Glenda Jackson Theatre in honour of one of the Wirral's most famous daughters), in Borough Road, Birkenhead.

[Linked Image]
Photo: The Glenda Jackson Theatre
Photo by Nick Catford

It was opened in 1952 and used until 1968. It was later reactivated in the 1980's as the Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council Emergency Centre and refurbished in 1988 with a standby generator, forced air ventilation, blast valves and two water tank. (Two sets of blast doors were fitted during construction in 1952, these were not upgraded) Following the refurbishment Merseyside County Standby was co-located at the site. At this time the centre was also fitted with an Autex 1600, 100 CMX and a TXS 50 ECN unit.

In 1990 The Wirral Emergency Centre was moved to Westminster House, Birkenhead and the bunker under the Glenda Jackson Theatre was closed; at that time Merseyside lost it's standby centre. The Glenda Jackson Theatre itself is now also closed and the Wirral Metropolitan College is due to close in the near future. It is likely that the site will be demolished. The bunker is currently used by the college as a recording studio and rehearsal room with several structural changes being made since the closure of the emergency centre.

[Linked Image]
Photo: Plan of the bunker
Survey by Nick Willasey & Drawn by Nick Catford

Entrance to the bunker was from the main corridor linking the college with the theatre, the blast doors have now been removed and replaced with ordinary wooden doors. These entrances were in the form of airlocks opening into a small room with a second door diagonally opposite into the bunker. The first air lock opened into the 'Dispatch Room' where the PABX was located. From the despatch room the ventilation plant room was on the left and the male toilets were accessed through the plant room. The internal solid walls forming these three rooms have now been removed and four smaller rooms have been created in the space. These are used as rehearsal rooms, one is empty, one contains a double bass and two contain drum kits.

On the right hand side of the former dispatch room was a door into one of two Control Rooms (Control Room 2) but the doorway has now been walled up. The narrow MSX Room was also accessed from the right hand side of the Dispatch Room, this now acts as a corridor into the other rooms. A message hatch into Control Room 2 has been filled in. A door at the far end of the MSX room opens into the 'Message Room' which is now empty apart from a piano. The emergency exit in the far corner of the room has been bricked up and the two message hatches into Control Room 2 have been enlarged to form a wide open doorway between the two rooms. Control Room 2 contains various items of audio equipment. A doorway linking Control Room 2 with Control Room 1 has been blocked up and access to the Control Room 1 can now only be made through the Message Room.

[Linked Image]
Photo: Control Room 1
Photo by Nick Catford

Control Room 1 has been converted into a recording studio with audio mixers and tape decks. Two message hatches between the Message Room and Control Room 1 have been replaced with a large glass window. From control room 1 there is also a door into the 'Liaison Room' and through the second air lock back into the basement corridor. These rooms are used for storage as are the former women's toilets which were accessed from Control Room 1. The standby generator was located in a room outside the bunker and has now been removed.

[Linked Image]
Photo: Siren Control Cabinet
Photo by Nick Catford

While most sirens were removed in the 1990's that at this site along with the control cabinet still survive in the college lift room. Inside the cabinet there is a WB1400 carrier receiver that was used to operate the siren remotely. The siren can be key operated and we were able to test it briefly, any longer and the college would have been evacuated. According to the log this was the first siren test since 1992. The siren is located on the roof of the lift room in a metal cage. The control cabinet and the siren have now been donated to the Hack Green museum where they will be installed in 2002.

Those taking part in the visit were Nick Catford , Keith Ward , Rod Siebert, John Fogg and Robin Ware
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 23rd Nov 2010 11:06pm
Cheers. That's brilliant.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 8:52am
I was going to say I have a plan of the bunker. but you've already put it up! More pics coming in a min. Got one of Fenton just for you Pinz!

[Linked Image]

Attached picture UpholsteryClassroom.jpg
Attached picture TypewritingClassroom1.jpg
Attached picture TelephoneandSwitchboardRoom.jpg
Attached picture TeachingKitchen.jpg
Attached picture SpineCorridor.jpg
Attached picture ScienceLaboratory.jpg
Attached picture RefectoryKitchen.jpg
Attached picture Refectory-Unfurnished.jpg
Attached picture PrincipalsOffice.jpg
Attached picture MaleLavatory.jpg
Attached picture MainStairwaytoRefectory.jpg
Attached picture MachineWorkshop.jpg
Attached picture GymnasiumlaterDanceStudio.jpg
Attached picture GlendaJacksonTheatreInterior3.jpg
Attached picture GlendaJacksonTheatreInterior1.jpg
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 8:58am
[Linked Image]

Attached picture GlendaJacksonTheatreFoyer.jpg
Attached picture GeneralOffice.jpg
Attached picture FoyerCommemorationStone.jpg
Attached picture Foyer3.jpg
Attached picture Foyer2.jpg
Attached picture Foyer1.jpg
Attached picture Butchery.jpg
Attached picture BRExterior6.jpg
Attached picture BRAerial4.jpg
Attached picture BRAerial3.jpg
Attached picture BRAerial2.jpg
Attached picture BRAerial1.jpg
Attached picture BoardRoom.jpg
Attached picture Bakery2.jpg
Attached picture WorkshopCorridor.jpg
Posted By: buddy Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 9:04am
Brilliant set of photos polo_phil - thanks for posting
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 9:04am
Thanks phil. Excellent photos AND the great Vince! As an aside, where is Westminster House, B'head ?? According to Sub.Brit. this is where the "new" bunker is for the good and the great. Assuming there are the "good and the great" in WBC !
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 9:06am
Pinzgauer I've put them up! one of his office then him.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 9:08am
Bit of an overlap there. Thanks again !
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 9:11am
I'll put some up of the demolition when I get a min
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 10:34am
nice pics, i never went there, im amazed at how large the site was, i presumed it was just what you could see from the road
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 10:51am
I did a short course a few years ago i reckon about 2 years before it closed, We went down to the recording studios to have a look round and ended up getting locked in!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 10:59am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Thanks phil. Excellent photos AND the great Vince! As an aside, where is Westminster House, B'head ?? According to Sub.Brit. this is where the "new" bunker is for the good and the great. Assuming there are the "good and the great" in WBC !

Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council
?Westminster House,Hamilton St,Birkenhead,Merseyside,CH41 5FN

Address: Westminster House,Hamilton St,Birkenhead,Merseyside,CH41 5FN
Telephone: 0151 647 2320
Web Site:
Email:

Classification

Local Government
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 11:05am
Thanks Bert. Just ran the Postcode through the Googlemap electric mangle thing. Got it.

When this Korean War goes global with everyone hurling tinned sunshine at each other, you where to run to !!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 11:24am
As long as i have enough time to nip around the corner and jump on lovely Sally.

Back to those excellent pics, the gym brings back memories, even as a full time student/apprentice they still made us have PE once a week, if i remember right, the canteen and its contents was stocked by catering students, excellent sausage rolls.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 12:20pm
were these nuclear bunkers built when they built the college 1950?
Westminster House is I think where the old market was in the 1970s
Just imagining if sirens went or how much warning there would have been and how to get from Hamilton square area to college in time before bombs dropped or are there other hidden safety places we don't know about
Posted By: Nigel Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 24th Nov 2010 2:22pm
Amazing pictures, they take me back in time!! Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Kev30x Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 25th Nov 2010 9:00am
Fantastic pics Phil, i spent a year at this place 11yrs ago when i was 16, so sad to see it gone so soon after being built, im sure it would of looked great after a refurb! i never knew it had a gym, wish i had explored the place a bit more now. thanks for the pics, they make this site worthwhile. Kev
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 25th Nov 2010 9:04am
It was in a sad state. It was probably easier to get money for a new build (12 Quays) than to fix up Borough Road.
Demolition pics coming soon... hammer
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 25th Nov 2010 9:47am

I am unsure who took these... if it was you thankyou smile

Attached picture DSCF0424.jpg
Attached picture DSCF0425.jpg
Attached picture DSCF0426.jpg
Attached picture DSCF0427.jpg
Attached picture DSCF0428.jpg
Attached picture DSCF0429.jpg
Attached picture DSCF0430.jpg
Attached picture DSCF0432.jpg
Attached picture DSCF0434.jpg
Attached picture DSCF0435.jpg
Attached picture DSCF0437.jpg
Attached picture DSCF0438.jpg
Attached picture DSCF0439.jpg
Posted By: Nigel Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 25th Nov 2010 10:11am
Does anyone have a list of past principals (Deans) of this college?
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 25th Nov 2010 10:19am
Dates are approximate...

2006 - present - Mike Potter
1999 - 2006 - Ray Dowd
1990 - 1999 - Jenny Shackleton
? - 1990 - Mr Jackson

Don't know anymore...
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 25th Nov 2010 10:36am
Amazing post and great pics thankyou, I went here to study mechanics for a short time.
One minute it was here the next it was gone so when was it knocked down confused (I never did goto Birkenhead much lol).
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 25th Nov 2010 10:37am
You're missing out Ste...
Posted By: chris58 Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 26th Nov 2010 9:23pm
great pics
Posted By: chris58 Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 26th Nov 2010 9:32pm
anyone any idea what was originally on the plot of land opposite the tec that was the car park (its now flats). wondering what was there before it became a car park
Posted By: davew3 Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 26th Nov 2010 9:53pm
derekdwc
" nuclear bunkers built when they built the college 1950?"

The question or thoughts Derek is what other public building (still standing) was built about the same time and was owned by Birkenhead corpy,a building which is big enough to hold a bunker,there is one but the last time I was in the building the blast doors had been removed and it was being used for offices,can't tell you where as it might be still classified as secret. laugh

Posted By: bri445 Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 26th Nov 2010 10:09pm
Principal in 1952-54, and probably from the beginning was C.V.Vinten-Fenton. Certified proof on my ONC!

Attached picture Scan-101126-0001.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 26th Nov 2010 10:14pm
tec college site was allotments prior to the college been built. Imagine land was made into allotments at the outbreak of the 2nd W.W.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 27th Nov 2010 10:58am
Originally Posted by chris58
anyone any idea what was originally on the plot of land opposite the tec that was the car park (its now flats). wondering what was there before it became a car park

Don't know what was there originally but by the 1940's it was the Plaza car park.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 27th Nov 2010 11:25am
I think the Car Park lasted until the Plaza became a Bingo Hall. There was a small brick building in the centre (?) of the car park for the attendant. This was demolished quite some time before the Car Park finally closed if I recall. The local Intelligencia had attacked it several times !
Posted By: past_resident Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 29th Nov 2010 9:01pm
I was 4 years old when the old Queen laid the foundation stone. We lived in Westbank Rd that runs parallel to Borough Rd.
Mum took me to see the event we stood on what was the car park for the Plaza. I sat on mums shoulders.

I remember when I was in the scouts (10th Birkenhead St Catherines), the Birkenhead troups put on their shows there.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 30th Nov 2010 11:31am
Originally Posted by chris58

Here's a couple of maps, the first from the 1870's & the second from 1910. That site wasn't built on back then, even though by 1910 there was housing on Borough Rd. & the "Bank" roads off North Rd. I wonder why. Interesting that Singleton Ave. is later than 1910; anybody know its date?

Attached picture 1870's.jpg
Attached picture 1910.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 30th Nov 2010 12:53pm
Wild guess, but I assume it was a yard for the quarry/brickworks across the road.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 30th Nov 2010 2:18pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Wild guess, but I assume it was a yard for the quarry/brickworks across the road.

Could be. The plot on the other corner of North Rd. is vacant as well.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 21st Dec 2011 12:39pm

Birkenhead Tech College on Borough Road. How many went there...

Attached picture techcollege.jpg
Posted By: dave_h Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 21st Dec 2011 5:58pm
looks far better than the sh.it thats there now
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 21st Dec 2011 6:23pm
Room 516 top floor and engineering workshops for me.1970 to 1974.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 21st Dec 2011 6:33pm
any more i was there in 1993 in the basement with music face

The basement was well cool in that place took no pix gutted

Posted By: buddy Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 21st Dec 2011 7:48pm
1959-1964 Chemistry for me - very bad choice!!!
Posted By: yoller Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 21st Dec 2011 7:51pm
Queen lays foundation stone of tech college ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MXcTaCCGcY
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 21st Dec 2011 8:15pm
I,ve done a few courses there, mainly 'evening courses'.
Posted By: atw1960 Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 21st Dec 2011 9:10pm
Did some engineering courses there in 79/80 and 85/87.Also taught in an adult literacy group 92-95.
Posted By: PaulTaters Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 21st Dec 2011 10:18pm
I never studied there, but I went to a few jumble sales in there and also to some events in the Glenda Jackson theatre.

No longer do gangs of students walk up Borough Road as they used to!

There is of course one constant in that photo (or rather just off the edge of it), The Valley Lodge.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 22nd Dec 2011 8:54am
Originally Posted by buddy
1959-1964 Chemistry for me - very bad choice!!!

I studied chemistry there early 60s. We must have overlapped.

Posted By: Mike_Scott Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 22nd Dec 2011 10:42am
I was at the tech night and day release 1954-1960 Fenton grabbed me one day as he overheard me say I was going up to the canteen--REFECTORY MY BOY NOT A CANTEEN!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 22nd Dec 2011 12:07pm
That sounds like Vince alright !!
Posted By: oxtonmac Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 29th Dec 2011 3:35am
great pics takes me straight back there

shipbuilding fabrication and engineering studies 1978-81 then again studing I.T in the early 90's at evening
Posted By: spider1 Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 4th Jan 2012 1:12pm
I was there on day/block release doing mechanics course around 74. I thought the Mechanics Institute was more or less opposite the college then?
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 21st Jul 2012 11:03am
great pics polo, i had forgotten had dated it was,but its brought back happy memories
Posted By: TheComebackKid Re: Birkenhead Technical College - 21st Jul 2012 1:45pm
1953 to 1958- One Full day every Wednesday and 3 nights a week while serving my Plumbing aprenticeship.

Ahhhh the good old days....

I loved the dances there too in the old theatre

© Wirral-Wikiwirral