Forums
Posted By: Bezzymate Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 3:00pm
Back to work so passed the BP station on Greasby Rd.
Petrol £131.9
Deisel £133.9
Anyone beat that!
Posted By: Nigel Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 3:17pm
Register at Pertolprices.com Click here for best prices in your chosen area as I did.
Posted By: SevenBabyBears Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 3:27pm
I'm afraid that's why I'm going to advertise our Galaxy. Just can't afford to run 2 cars and I need my diesel for work so the galaxy has to go. 2.3 petrol and it's great on motorways but going around town and that petrol light seems to come on a lot faster these days. Shame cos it's the best car we've ever had.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 3:32pm
Here we go again! People moaning about petrol costs!
If you can't afford it, don't drive! Simples!

Anyone wanting a little car to run round in I have a 1.2 vauxhall corsa antibes for sale, full Mot and 6 months tax £600 mint.
I'll take your petrol gobblers in part ex too, I love em me. smile
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 4:08pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
Petrol £131.9
Deisel £133.9
Anyone beat that!

oshocked Yet its always full of mugs filling up when they can get it at least 4/5p a litre cheaper down the road at Upton Shell or Sainsburys. BP are always the most expensive.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 4:13pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
Petrol £131.9
Deisel £133.9
Anyone beat that!

oshocked Yet its always full of mugs filling up when they can get it at least 4/5p a litre cheaper down the road at Upton Shell or Sainsburys. BP are always the most expensive.

You pay for quality, ie: Sony/bush, obviously Sony are going to be dearer lol. smile
Posted By: sean Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 4:23pm
no point in being a minge bag if you like fast cars. i just fill it up when it's empty, with v-power of course wink
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 4:40pm
TBH, cheaper or not, Id rather fill up with Shell fuel over BP....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 4:54pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac

withthat
Posted By: DavidB Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 5:37pm
Prices aren't fair and aren't in line with inflation, it's a case of not getting what you pay for - but who cares, the government doesn't, so it's never going to change.
I'm going to work in France at the start of summer, and I can't wait, I'd hate to have to come back over to this dump.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 5:42pm
Originally Posted by sean
no point in being a minge bag if you like fast cars. i just fill it up when it's empty, with v-power of course wink

withthat my gsi is set to high octane so that's what it gets.

Why's that stew? If it's over that oil spill, save the planet and all that crap then you can't say sweet f. A because your just as bad driving a car in the 1st place lol laugh
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 6:15pm

BP are most independtly owned.

Shell are cheaper due to royalties around here as BP use the same petrol as Shell as it is all from the same pot.

It is only additives what make it a brand petrol.

Same reason Sainsbury's were usin BP fuel but lost the contract to Texaco iirc.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 6:35pm

I used to be like that haha, usually Shell is cheapest or thereabouts anyway, but my engine (like a lot of engines out there, Google is your friend) runs like a bag of nails on the new Fuelsave diesel, so I don't really have the option of Shell anymore (unless I want to put in V-Power which has no real benefit lol).

So I just go to Esso now. I don't really care about prices, it always nice to save a few pence, and admittadly if everywhere were say 128.9p and I saw a garage charging 123.9p, id probably get a tank and save the 5p per litre, but generally, ill just pay whatever they are charging.

Its only money at the end of the day. A lot of the people I know who moan about the prices, are quite happy to go and spend £100+ a weekend clubbing, or £20+ down the pub a few nights a week, but when it comes to fuel, they will have a good hours rant about it. When it hits £2.00 per litre, ill probably change my mind lol.

Taxes have to come from somewhere, and unfortunately drivers are the easiest to hit. Drive less and walk more if its biting. For commuters, if you can take public transport within the local area, someone I know worked it out recently, with current fuel pricing, VED (unless you have a hairdryer of course), insurance costs and maintenance costs, it works out far cheaper to get a season pass such as a Solo (if they still do them) or a Trio than to commute by car. But of course, thats if its convenient.

smile
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 7:56pm
A Corsa nono
Originally Posted by _Ste_

Anyone wanting a little car to run round in I have a 1.2 vauxhall corsa antibes for sale, full Mot and 6 months tax £600 mint.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Jan 2011 7:57pm
Back to work so passed the BP station on Greasby Rd.Exactlly!
Petrol £131.9
Deisel £133.9
Anyone beat that!

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 5th Jan 2011 8:59am
A Corsa nono
Originally Posted by _Ste_

It's not one of those crappy 3 cylinder ones which always break down smile
I also have a BMW 325 limited edition for sale too smile
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 5th Jan 2011 12:01pm
I filled up before Christmas and the Aygo does miles on a teaspoon full anyway. Wonder if people realise that if they just slow down a bit then it uses less juice, or is that just an old fogies remedy?
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 5th Jan 2011 1:41pm
no not old fogies remedy whizzing around in 1st 2 nd gears does guzzle the juice
Posted By: Upasaka Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 5th Jan 2011 1:45pm
Oh, deep joy... More peccy hikes :-(
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 5th Jan 2011 2:17pm
Going to have to start having milk on my cereal I think...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 16th Jan 2011 8:26am
wink https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...and_diesel_prices_throu.html#Post461202. cry
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 10th Feb 2011 7:24pm
Notice that Tesco are to start a 5p/ litre off fuel for a £50 in-store spend - - so just before that starts they put their fuel price up by 1p/ litre. They are today 2p/ litre over Sainsbury meaning the in-store discount is only worth 3p/l

This happens every time Tesco have their in-store discount offer.

I will be using the motorbike a LOT more I think

Snod
Posted By: DavidB Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 10th Feb 2011 7:39pm
They did that last year, I always forget about it. It's still cheaper either way. I did it when petrol was 95p in 2009, and got it for 90p. It felt like I'd gone back in a time machine (to a few months earlier).
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 10th Feb 2011 8:23pm
Yes,I noticed that.I was just speaking to Mr. saying that the notorius BP on Greasby Rd is actually cheaper,that is of course without the voucher!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 25th May 2011 3:08pm
[Linked Image]

smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 25th May 2011 4:47pm
Originally Posted by DavidB
[Linked Image]

smile

Bring us some back Dave lol laugh
Posted By: molong Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 17th Jun 2011 5:57pm
re- corsa 1.2 for £600. i am looking for a little runaround but as a semi disabled pensioner i cannot afford more than £450. anything going out there? molong
Posted By: DavidB Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 17th Jun 2011 6:33pm
A friend in Chester is selling a Hyundai Accent 1.3 for £200.

MOT'd December, electric front windows, CD player, erm sunroof 'etc'. Good tyres, starts first crack and drives as well as it could do. Seems pretty mega on fuel and you aren't going to have to worry about it being hit by wayward shopping trollies. 74,000 odd miles.

Bad bits:

Bodywork has issues but if I get time I'll see if I can't at least slap some fibreglass and filler over the worse of it.
No tax but can tax at your expense.
It's not going to win you any fit birds when you roll up in the carpark of the Hammer & Chainsaw arms. However it should easily tide you over until the test expires and might even go through the next one with little effort.

Note sunset light makes it look a bit tidier than it is, as photos tend to do. It's getting fragged on the weekend I think, but he'd rather someone used it. If I wasn't totally broke I would've bought it to use myself.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 1st Jul 2011 6:45pm
Petrol at Tesco's Bidston £1.31 Diesel £1.34
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 1st Jul 2011 6:59pm
Petrol at asda brom £128.9 Diesel £132.9
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 1st Jul 2011 7:30pm
FFS! By the time you all travel to these places your saving nothing!!! smack

no
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 1st Jul 2011 7:40pm
lol, I wasted a few pence todat then, filled up at the Esso in Birkenhead, was 134.9p, could have gone to Asda (which I drove past a few minutes earlier) and got it 2p a litre cheaper haha!

I plonked £30 in, but im sure I can live with the loss of a few pennies init Ste!

laugh
Posted By: lemonhead Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 1st Jul 2011 9:42pm
ive been driving about 12 years, and petrol was only abouy 80p a litre, what a joke it is now, wait till my kids start to drive, not good
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Jul 2011 7:21am
Sainsbury's is offering 10p off a litre when you spend £50,whilst Tesco's can only manage 5p,every LITTLE HELPS as the like to say!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Jul 2011 9:44am
Spend £60 Bezzy. Offer ends on Sunday.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Jul 2011 9:47am
Oh! Thanks Chris.X
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Jul 2011 9:48am
Sainsbury's is offering 10p off a litre when you spend £50,whilst Tesco's can only manage 5p,every LITTLE HELPS as the like to say!

Yeah, its spend £60 in Sainsburys, and lets face it, thats not hard raftl
Posted By: Colgo Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Jul 2011 10:10am
Originally Posted by lemonhead
ive been driving about 12 years, and petrol was only abouy 80p a litre, what a joke it is now, wait till my kids start to drive, not good

When I first started driving,petrol was 70p A GALLON,(15p a litre) and everbody was moaning about the price then.
I,m sure some of the older members oldman will remember it much cheaper than that in £sd
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Jul 2011 10:14am
Im pretty sure when I started driving back in '96 it was high 40's going in to low 50p's/l
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Jul 2011 10:21am
I remember 50p a litre they were the days. smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Jul 2011 10:34am
http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/Petrol_Prices_1896_todate_gallons.pdf

Keep in mind 12 old penny's = 5p
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Jul 2011 1:31pm
After taking into account inflation etc, you will see that fuel today is actually cheaper than fuel was in the 60's, so I fail to see the problem. Fuel, like every commodity in life, is increasing in price, get over it!!

If you can't afford it, don't drive, simples.

smile
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Jul 2011 5:17pm
I can't bore you with how much fuel was when I started driving because back then it was cheap enough to not even bother looking at the sign.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Jul 2011 5:26pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
If you can't afford it, don't drive, simples.

smile

Tell that to the haulage companies.
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Sep 2011 2:21pm
£134.9 at the shell garage on the A41 (the one near the little chef), eastham. £134.7 at Asda in bromborough
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 2nd Sep 2011 2:32pm
£130.9p at ASDA's in Kilmarnock yesterday! Possibly not worth the journey up from the Wirral to fill up ?

(Really useful posts no. 364b!)
Posted By: twinky Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 15th Sep 2011 10:56pm
We will be taking direct action and protesting about the failure of the government to act on the major issues effecting the general public at this present time . Fuel tax and high price at the pumps , the fuel companies and big four supermarkets making massive profits from fuel when the barrel price has dropped considerably.

IF you would like to join this protest we are meetin on the 30th september at chester services m56 @7.30 pm arriving at stanlow gate 2 (INNOSPEC) for 8pm. Find our group on facebook 'stanlow fuel protest & direct action group'
Posted By: AlexB Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 15th Sep 2011 11:15pm
Originally Posted by twinky
Stuff

Fair play for taking a stand but you know as well as the rest of us that this will make no difference whatsoever. It'll just inconvenience the rest of us who need to get places for a reason.

I dream of the day that fuel prices drive the idiots off the roads wink
Posted By: twinky Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 15th Sep 2011 11:42pm
We have to try, we are not wanting to inconvience ppl but our gov cudnt give a flyin sausage if u need to get somewhere as long as they are gettin their fill of doubled taxin the petrol .....we soon be taxed for actually breathing!!!

My food bill has gone up so much we have takin to eating crappy food, forzen food coz its cheaper than fresh meat,veg. Now i bet cameron sits down to a lovely paiece of meat,nice veg tea every nite with not a thought of what jo public is eating, or feedin thier kids. we need to make a stand and stop this fuel tax NOW!!!!
Posted By: AlexB Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 15th Sep 2011 11:44pm
It's too late for me to begin one of my usual rants, so I'm just going to go to bed, it's safer.
Posted By: Wench Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 16th Sep 2011 12:04am
Originally Posted by twinky
We will be taking direct action and protesting about the failure of the government to act on the major issues effecting the general public at this present time . Fuel tax and high price at the pumps , the fuel companies and big four supermarkets making massive profits from fuel when the barrel price has dropped considerably.

IF you would like to join this protest we are meetin on the 30th september at chester services m56 @7.30 pm arriving at stanlow gate 2 (INNOSPEC) for 8pm. Find our group on facebook 'stanlow fuel protest & direct action group'

Are you walking to Stanlow gate 2? If not, kind of defeats the object as it's going to cost you to get there and then again when you have to put more petrol in your cars.

I just don't see the point of wasting the money to try to prove a point to people who don't give a shoite think
Posted By: Littlebear Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 16th Sep 2011 1:18pm
How would these protests be arranged if nobody could drive to get there? Unless they only lived up the road, it's just something you've got to do.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 16th Sep 2011 2:10pm
Originally Posted by Littlebear
it's just something you've got to do.

snob
Posted By: Littlebear Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 16th Sep 2011 2:59pm
yes
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 31st Jan 2013 2:08pm
Just thought i'd add an observation to this thread.

Whenever fuel rises by 1p everyone's outraged. But fuel prices dropped considerably back in October (diesel went from 142.9p to 135.9p) and nobody says a word!
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 13th Mar 2013 3:25pm
Hard-pressed motorists have received some respite after three supermarkets announced fuel-price cuts.

Sainsbury's said petrol prices at the company's 279 forecourts will dip by 4p a litre, with diesel being reduced by 3p a litre, from Wednesday.

Asda said from Wednesday it would be cutting its petrol by up to 3p a litre and its diesel by up to 2p a litre, ensuring motorists would pay no more than 134.7p a litre for petrol and 141.7p a litre for diesel.

And Tesco also announced it was cutting the price of both petrol and diesel by 3p.

Sainsbury's head of fuel Richard Crampton said: "We know that fuel is a big part of many customers' weekly budget so we're keen to do anything we can to help."

Andy Peake, Asda's petrol trading director, said: " When we do drop prices, we drop them everywhere, setting a maximum national price cap for our customer, which means they all benefit from our low prices, regardless of where they live."

Peter Cattell, of Tesco, said: "Tesco is dropping the price of both petrol and diesel by up to 3p per litre from tomorrow morning. "
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 13th Mar 2013 4:39pm
You can bet your bottom dollar that the Fuel Duty Escalator will pop another 3p or 4p per litre onto the price of fuel in the budget next week.

I really do hope I'm wrong on this !!!

Fill up whilst it's "cheap" !! raftl
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 20th Apr 2013 3:22pm
£1.31 unleaded
£1.35 diesel

Asda in Brombourgh
Posted By: SilentReader Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 3rd May 2013 12:36pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
You can bet your bottom dollar that the Fuel Duty Escalator will pop another 3p or 4p per litre onto the price of fuel in the budget next week

hasn't this been cancelled in ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 3rd May 2013 12:44pm
Originally Posted by SilentReader
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
You can bet your bottom dollar that the Fuel Duty Escalator will pop another 3p or 4p per litre onto the price of fuel in the budget next week

hasn't this been cancelled in ?

Surprisingly - yes!
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 19th Dec 2013 12:18pm
Asda Bromborough £1.26.7 a litre

The latest round of cuts takes the forecourt price back to October’s two and a half year low of 126.7p when an aggressive petrol price war saw all four supermarkets slug it out to be the cheapest.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 19th Dec 2013 6:30pm
I thought Sainsbury's was reducing theirs 5p a couple of months ago?
Posted By: torryman Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 19th Dec 2013 10:07pm
(Sainsburys)have crept it right back up to 130.9 recently
Posted By: j_demo Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Aug 2014 5:34pm
why has nobody updated this since December?

i've noticed it's £129.9p for unleaded in Shell, King st, Wallasey. but according to asda bromboroughs website it's £126.7p for unleaded!

anyone have any other places that are good?
Posted By: j_demo Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Aug 2014 7:06pm
£128.9 in Tesco Bidston for regular unleaded
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Aug 2014 7:55pm
You have to sign up to get them, "this is for diesel"
http://www.petrolprices.com/

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Aug 2014 8:14pm
I do not understand why people travel miles wasting petrol to buy cheaper petrol. I know of 3 fools that do this, waste petrol and time, more wear and tear on the old jalopy too.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Aug 2014 8:57pm
I don't know anybody that will travel miles to save a few quid,but for me, Ill go to Asda to do a shop,and since there fuel is cheaper more often than not`Ill fill up too,and if Shell@Carlett is cheaper Ill fill up there instead "stuff`em"
Posted By: BossFan Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Aug 2014 9:44pm
I always find Asda Bromborough to be the cheapest. £126.7 for unleaded today
Posted By: davew3 Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 5th Aug 2014 7:50am
My missus likes to go to different towns to shop, so if fuel is cheaper then I will get it, I don't travel for miles to specifically buy fuel and I count Bromborough as local from Heswall
as I don't go to Birkenhead to shop, to me the Croft Centre is the new Birkenhead, Liscard and Birkenhead have nothing except high parking charges, which to me out-ways fuel charges if I do go out of my way, even though most of the petrol stations in Wallasey and Bikenhead charge higher prices, Shell since they sold their refinery are just as expensive as BP and they always charge higher prices.
Posted By: Mark Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 15th Dec 2014 11:04am
The Asda cut will take its petrol down to 112.7p a litre - the cheapest since October 2010. Asda's diesel will drop to 118.7p a litre.

Source : Click Me
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 15th Dec 2014 12:15pm
With the added discount from previous store purchases my fuel at Tesco yesterday was below £1 / litre. I never thought I would see that again!

Snod
Posted By: 220cdti Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 12th Jun 2016 9:35pm
If you happen to be a CostCo member, they now have a filling station in Liverpool. very handy if you work over that way - not much use if you don't! They claim to be selling "Premium Diesel" for slightly less than others, but who knows what Brand it is or what additives are in it.

I have a diesel car and it is quite selective when it comes to fuel. I get most MPG on normal Shell diesel and the least on Tesco. It doesn't run correctly on Morrisons fuel or Sainsburys fuel.

I tried two tanks full of CostCo diesel and wouldn't use it again. It caused the DPF to regenerate 6 times in 5 weeks, which reduces MPG down to 10-15MPG in town and 20MPG on the motorway. So any saving is gone. That means it isn't burning as clean as Shell Diesel and the DPF is getting blocked with soot far quicker. Shell Diesel doesn't do that, I can go for ages before any hint of DPF regeneration.

Not all fuel is the same!

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 12th Jun 2016 11:23pm
I agree, I stick to Shell diesel on my 170,000 mile diesel wherever possible

On my petrol cars (both are 34 years old) I use Shell premium (whatever name they call it this week) because of the higher octane/RON which I have the cars tuned to. I might need to change to Esso premium as this may be the only ethanol-free fuel now available.

When I take my engines apart I am amazed how clean they are, and I've never had my diesel's DPF clog up (it doesn't do flashy things like regeneration).
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 13th Jun 2016 9:05am
Originally Posted by 220cdti
I have a diesel car and it is quite selective when it comes to fuel. I get most MPG on normal Shell diesel and the least on Tesco. It doesn't run correctly on Morrisons fuel or Sainsburys fuel.

My diesel is exactly the same. I always found Shell to be very competitively priced to the supermarkets, particularly around Ellesmere Port, so always used that.
Posted By: Littlebear Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 31st Oct 2018 11:36am
Cheapest is 1.349p (ie £1.35) for diesel and £1.25 at Asda Bromborough - all other supermarkets, are 1p more.
It'll probably be 1.35/1.26 next week.

Wonder what is making it ascend to the heavens this time?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 31st Oct 2018 7:16pm
This was taken about 8 years ago and i think it went down for a while..

Attached picture The SIGN.jpg
Posted By: DavidB Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 16th Nov 2018 3:52pm
Petrol 121.7 and diesel 131.7 at Asda Bromborough today.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 16th Nov 2018 7:55pm
Garage opposite the oval entrance has a neat trick. At least one of the pumps has 2 diesel and 1 super unleaded which is 10p a litre dearer than standard unleaded. Once youve pulled up its a bit awkward to try and move to another pump.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 16th Nov 2018 11:42pm
On some cars you get noticeably more mpg out of super unleaded because of the higher octane so the price balances out, also super unleaded is restricted to 5% methanol which is the limit before it damages older vehicles.

Unfortunately the premium diesels are over 20p a litre dearer than standard diesel and don't produce more power, they just have enhanced cleaners in them.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 17th Nov 2018 12:17am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
On some cars you get noticeably more mpg out of super unleaded because of the higher octane so the price balances out, also super unleaded is restricted to 5% methanol which is the limit before it damages older vehicles.

Unfortunately the premium diesels are over 20p a litre dearer than standard diesel and don't produce more power, they just have enhanced cleaners in them.

Doh, I meant ethanol not methanol.
Posted By: TheROVER Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 7th Feb 2022 4:26am
Ressurecting this one as I drove past the A41 Tranmere Shell and Diesel was £1.52.9 FFS!

Has anyone spotted a more reasonable price at Bromborough Asda, Bidston Tesco or Woodchurch Sainsburys by any chance?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 8th Feb 2022 1:08pm
BP made highest profits in eight years, good to see the "free market economy" working well for the world's population - not!
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 10th Feb 2022 4:37pm
Last time I looked, Upton Sainsburys was 142.9 I think.
Posted By: TheROVER Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 15th Feb 2022 2:56am
Nice one, thank you.

Shell Tranmere prices below, it is stupid, the Esso isn't any better.

Petrol - £1.48.9
Diesel - £1.52.9
Posted By: keef666 Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 19th Feb 2022 2:37pm
As my bike only runs on E10 that means another 10p more, so takes its to 1.64.9 or £7.50 for gall and you wonder why all the prices are going up, maybe if every one stopped driving around for a few weeks the powers that be would see a lack of tax coming in and oil companies seeing profits going down, it would also help the Planet!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 21st Feb 2022 12:07am
Originally Posted by keef666
As my bike only runs on E10 that means another 10p more, so takes its to 1.64.9 or £7.50 for gall and you wonder why all the prices are going up, maybe if every one stopped driving around for a few weeks the powers that be would see a lack of tax coming in and oil companies seeing profits going down, it would also help the Planet!

Works both ways, during lock-down the Petrol companies saw a lot less profit because of reduced consumption so this drove the price up to partly re-balance their profits.

If somebody has a commodity you need, they always have the upper hand.

E10 is the maximum ethanol content, there is no guarantee if it is E0, E5 or E10 that is supplied.

Some engines are not tolerant to E10, I don't know any that are not tolerant to E0 (although some old engines still need a lead or lead substitute whatever the E number).

Octane rating (RON) is critical in some petrol engines (especially turbos where a high octane will damage the engine), for some years now this has been shown less and less at the pump.
Posted By: TheROVER Re: Best Fuel Prices Wirral - 4th Mar 2022 7:56pm
Avoid the Tranmere Shell, it was £1.59.9 for Petrol and £1.66.9 for Diesel!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral