Forums
Posted By: Norton Mayalls, King St, closing. - 16th Mar 2012 1:57am
Wallpaper and paint shop Mayalls, on King St. Wallasey (next to the BP filling station) is set to close. I have been told that the owners of the land have now decided to sell - to Tesco.
A planning application went in for houses, about three years ago. It was passed but not followed up, so has now lapsed.
So could it be another supermarket or Tesco Express?
Posted By: Bench Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 16th Mar 2012 3:12am
More "local news" < "street news"
Posted By: j_demo Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 16th Mar 2012 8:02am
yep it's a tesco, i was talking to danny murphy who ownes the pot-shots/rocket-ronnies snooker hall and they tried to buy that place off him to convert to a tesco but then they realised that it's built on a hill and that delivery wagons couldn't get to it easily so backed off, he said he wouldn't have sold it though. and then last he heard is the same, they've bought or are going to buy mayalls and knock it down, turn it 90 degrees and have it so the car park is at the front rather than the side and so delivery wagons can get to the side of the building.
Posted By: jaki1 Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 16th Mar 2012 9:39am
any ideas when it is closing?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 16th Mar 2012 10:03am
It's been on going for sometime now, say good bye to the little family Run shops along king street / seabank road. fookin silly dont Need another one in Wallasey
Posted By: mikethetrainman Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 16th Mar 2012 11:44am
my brother in law works in wallasey/mayalls paints and all 3 staff are devastated!, all the time and effort over the years the staff have put into the shop and greedy bast++d,s tesco,s and paint bosses bosses sell the staff down the river with the job climate the way it is! shame on them!!. sick
Posted By: kenny_james Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 21st Mar 2012 11:27pm
do we really need another tescos?. does anybody actually shop in tescos, i dont know if you agree but i find they are too expensive and the tesco expresses are even robbery on the prices so to decide to put one on king street wallasey is absolutely stupid unless there is a reason to put it there, possiblility trying to get the garage next door to mayalls wallasey wallpaper and paints the company they have now bought! the wallpaper shop is closing its doors saturday 28th april, obviously the staff are devastasted as they all have served alot of years in the place to be sold down the river straight onto the dole!. if anybody has any suitable jobs let the staff know. than rather speculate and give out inaccurate information the plans is to keep the existing building and convert it into a supermarket not as previously mentioned knock it down and turn it 90 degrees.

a mayalls customer.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 22nd Mar 2012 9:15am
I've decided not to shop at Tescos anymore because of the attitude of the staff.Everyone has their off days but by God Tesco staff have more than most.My final visit was to the store at Bidston ,whilst there I did the lottery and wished the woman there (not the usual one)a cheery good morning,she said nothing in reply but just stuck out her hand and stared at me with an expression like a bulldog licking piss off a thistle,she put my tickets through and said "Ten" not even ten pounds or,God forbid,ten pounds please,just "ten".Well,this quite spoiled my morning so I rang customer services to have a word with them,shouldn't have bothered,I got put through to somewhere on the Indian sub continent and couldn't understand much of what was being said but was assured someone from the store would 'phone me back,you guessed it they didn't.So goodbye Tesco you have lost the custom of one very happy Asda customer.Rant over.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 22nd Mar 2012 12:25pm
Is it true that Tesco have a team that scour the country buying up suitable land,not so much with a view to utilising it themselves,but mainly to stop the competition building on it?
Posted By: kenny_james Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 22nd Mar 2012 8:32pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Is it true that Tesco have a team that scour the country buying up suitable land,not so much with a view to utilising it themselves,but mainly to stop the competition building on it?

certainly is true, they would sooner own land to be left deserted and derelict and overgrown with weeds and fly tipped on so that no other supermarket chain could get there hands on it to build a supermarket, this goes for all supermarket chains not just the one mentioned,i bet you that they dont buy land next door to were they live. scumbags.

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 23rd Mar 2012 8:46am
I've decided not to shop at Tescos anymore because of the attitude of the staff.Everyone has their off days but by God Tesco staff have more than most.My final visit was to the store at Bidston ,whilst there I did the lottery and wished the woman there (not the usual one)a cheery good morning,she said nothing in reply but just stuck out her hand and stared at me with an expression like a bulldog licking piss off a thistle,she put my tickets through and said "Ten" not even ten pounds or,God forbid,ten pounds please,just "ten".Well,this quite spoiled my morning so I rang customer services to have a word with them,shouldn't have bothered,I got put through to somewhere on the Indian sub continent and couldn't understand much of what was being said but was assured someone from the store would 'phone me back,you guessed it they didn't.So goodbye Tesco you have lost the custom of one very happy Asda customer.Rant over.
That is disgusting, just like when people serve you whilst they're on the phone chatting away, that pees me off, get some manners.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 23rd Mar 2012 9:23am
...So goodbye Tesco you have lost the custom of one very happy Asda customer.Rant over.
I went in the other direction about 5 years back due to the attitude of the staff at Asda Liscard.
Tesco are the main perpetrators, but it's not just them.
Posted By: toffeeju Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 28th Mar 2012 9:01pm
28th april at the latest i have heard 20% sale on starting now but stock running out so get there soon
Posted By: toffeeju Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 28th Mar 2012 9:04pm
not more tescos oh well im not shopping there but i am going to miss mayalls good decorating shop im off there to get last minute bargains happy shopping just feel for the staff at mayalls who have lost there jobs
Posted By: muddypaws Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 2nd Apr 2012 10:38pm
I emailed Tesco about their staff in the Seacombe store about 1 year ago because they were disgusting, no help, no manners, nothing, i never got a reply from Tesco BUT oddly enough thhe staff was changed within a month to bright and cheerful people!
Posted By: Jess53 Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 6th Apr 2012 12:27pm
There are some very unhappy Tesco staff who have set up a web site called very little helps, check it out!! Some really bad photos of the type of thing staff have to put up with, bad deliveries, ( most drivers are foreign agency these days), poor management, and some horror stories from their side of the coin. i speak as an ex employee from down south and the attitude is still very much the same from most staff as they are hassled by managers permanatley. Go sick and its the Spanish inquesion!! I was in hospital and got a warning for taking time off!!! Check out very little helps!!
Posted By: butterfly Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 16th Apr 2012 7:11pm
I was in Tesco Bidston a while ago with my friend, who picked up a couple of bottles of wine on offer. One of their staff who was collecting an order for a lady told my friend she could not have them as they were ordered! We both pointed out they were on the shelf for customers, but he was adamant that the lady with him was having all off the shelf!! Outrageous we thought, and complained to customer services instore, no point at all! We were kept waiting for ages, then told it was company policy to honour orders!! Next time they have a great offer on we should all ring and reserve the whole lot, then just not turn up--would serve them right! We thought it was very unfair, I shop in Asda mostly now.
Posted By: oneofthree Re: Mayalls, King St, closing. - 18th Apr 2012 9:32am
it has been reported today that due to a downturn in profits Tesco are cutting back on expansion plans, wonder whether that will have any effect here? I live quite close and it's good to see the area slowly shaping up after years of being an unsightly blight. I'm afraid Mayall's didn't really fit in with the plans anyway so I'm not surprised to see it go (of course I feel for any of the staff out of a job)

I have to ask myself however, do we really need another 'convenience' store? We already have the Co-op on Trafalger Road and Morrisons, Asda, Tesco stores of all sizes in abundence within a 8 mile radius. How much food and drink can the good folk of N.E. Wirral consume for heavens sake....???
© Wirral-Wikiwirral