Forums
Posted By: Sir_longmong New Ferry bus depot - 17th Jul 2008 10:17pm
Just been talking to my dad and he tells me that where the Post Office is in New Ferry, near New Ferry road used to be a bus depot. Well im a curious fecker and was wandering if anyone knew of any pics (chriskay?!)

ta
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: New Ferry bus depot - 18th Jul 2008 12:08am
lol i have lived nr there all my life until i was 20... the first i've heard, always thought the crosville bus depot in rock ferry was the only main one (proctor road/new chester road)
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: New Ferry bus depot - 18th Jul 2008 6:48am
i know a toll bar used to be around there?people on the bus sill ask for it!
Posted By: Waddi Re: New Ferry bus depot - 18th Jul 2008 12:55pm
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Birkenhead buses started to operate in on 12 July 1919 with a service from Rock Ferry to Birkenhead Park railway station,

On a 1938 map the crossville depot is present called the "OMNIBUS DEPOT" but it is not present on the 1913 map, I belive OMNIBUS to be trams but correct me if Im wrong please. but on the 1913 map the buildings that incorporate the post office are present but a District Council Depot is present at the top of grove street, interesting, maybe the buses were kept there until the "OMNIBUS" depot was converted to house buses when Crossville took over running the bus services from the corporation. just my 2c worth. I may be completely wrong.

Description: a 1913 map taken from www.old-maps.co.uk showing a council depot in grove street and the post office buildings.
Attached picture new ferry.jpg

Description: a 1938 map taken from www.old-maps.co.uk showing the OMNIBUS depot.
Attached picture omnibus depot.jpg
Posted By: Waddi Re: New Ferry bus depot - 18th Jul 2008 1:07pm
Originally Posted by http://www.petergould.co.uk/local_transport_history/fleetlists/birkenhead1.htm
In 1932 the tram depot at New Ferry was rebuilt to house fifty buses.
Posted By: chriskay Re: New Ferry bus depot - 18th Jul 2008 3:34pm
I don't remember any bus depot at New Ferry itself, but I do remember the Crosville depot at Procter Rd. Maybe this is the depot referred to, although it's quite a way from New Ferry.
Incidentally, Omnibus is Latin, meaning "for all". Although this word could have been used in relation to trams, I don't think it was used until motor buses were introduced.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: New Ferry bus depot - 30th Jul 2008 7:35pm
The bus depot in New Ferry was used by Birkenhead Corporation buses and closed in 1973. The building was demolished and the post office was built on the site. There are pictures of the depot in T B Maund's book 'The Birkenhead Bus'.

Incidentally, the depot was built in 1931 and replaced an earlier depot on the same site which had been first used for horse drawn trams.

Crosville did also have a depot in New Ferry, near the Toll Bar. This was closed when the Rock Ferry depot was built im 1932. There is a picture of this depot in another of T B Maund's books, 'The Wirral Country Bus'.
Posted By: Mad_Babs Re: New Ferry bus depot - 5th Oct 2008 5:52pm
there was one where the post office is now but it wasn't the crosville buses, it was the blue bus depot. there was one by proctor road which was and still is the crosville one.

i know because i was going out with one of the fella's that worked there raftl
Posted By: bert1 Re: New Ferry bus depot - 16th Jan 2009 6:50pm
New Ferry tram depot is the best i can do.

Attached picture new ferry.jpg
Posted By: jimbob Re: New Ferry bus depot - 16th Jan 2009 9:37pm
As well as the corporation bus depo where the post office is now on New Chester Road, there was a second bus shed as you turned round the corner from the toll bar into New Ferry road and on the right hand side was the bus sheds that the number 10 New Brighton bus use to be garaged in. The building is now used as a market i think
Posted By: scoops Re: New Ferry bus depot - 16th Jan 2009 10:06pm
It used to be the market years ago, it's now Rocket Training
Posted By: uptoncx Re: New Ferry bus depot - 16th Jan 2009 10:30pm
When the New Ferry trams were withdrawn on 27th December 1931, the depot in Bert1's picture above was demolished, and a garage for 50 buses was built on the site.

[Linked Image]

The depot was closed on 3rd March 1973 and the Post Office was built on the site.

Crosville's New Ferry bus station was in New Ferry road, close to the Toll Bar.

[Linked Image]

After the Rock Ferry bus station opened on 1st April 1932, the building was sold and used as a market for several years.

The Rock Ferry depot on New Chester Road opened on the day the New Ferry Depot closed.

[Linked Image]

The depot was bought by the First Group at the same time that they took over Crosville.

Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: New Ferry bus depot - 28th Oct 2010 9:40pm
The one on New Ferry Road that was later a market went up in flames sometime in the early to mid 80's. Don't think the market opened again after that.

I could be wrong but seem to recall it being empty for a good while afterwards.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: New Ferry bus depot - 30th Oct 2010 3:24pm
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
The one on New Ferry Road that was later a market went up in flames sometime in the early to mid 80's. Don't think the market opened again after that.

I could be wrong but seem to recall it being empty for a good while afterwards.

don't remember it going up in flames! i know it closed down, good little market it was, nothing in New Ferry now, got to go to Birkenhead for everything! as for the bus depot, were the post office is now----i remember going into there on the way home from grove st school to ask the time, even though there was a big clock on the outside! i remember the post office being were the £ shop is now, very small it was.
does anyone remember the cafe that was on new ferry rd/corner of brownlow rd? i remember going in there on the way home from school for ice lollies [in the summer that is!]

Posted By: Christo Re: New Ferry bus depot - 5th Dec 2010 5:03pm
Remember that being Buckley's Dairy years ago! (Showing my age!)
Posted By: suey30 Re: New Ferry bus depot - 5th Dec 2010 8:24pm
when we lived there i seem to remember, the post office was on the corner of grove street and new chester road,the kwiki was on the other corner, and the bus station was on new chester road
Posted By: chris7777 Re: New Ferry bus depot - 6th Dec 2010 11:20pm
Originally Posted by Christo
Remember that being Buckley's Dairy years ago! (Showing my age!)

Buckleys dairy was on the opposite side---i remember it----on the other corner of Brownlow Rd was a cafe---don't know what it is now, but i remember the cafe, mum would take us in there on the way home from school to buy ice lollies in the summer!
Buckleys also had a shop in Bebington Rd years ago, and they had lovely ice scream, i have never tasted anything like it since! i think they made their own?
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: New Ferry bus depot - 19th Dec 2010 9:55pm
is an omnibus a like a tram but on normal wheels that have to be steered but gets power from overhead?
Posted By: uptoncx Re: New Ferry bus depot - 20th Dec 2010 7:49am
The word bus was originally an abreviation of the word omnibus but has now entered the dictionary as a word in its own right, so all buses are actually omnibuses.

An electric bus which collected its power from overhead wires was called a trolleybus.
Posted By: chriskay Re: New Ferry bus depot - 20th Dec 2010 10:26am
Omnibus: from the Latin omnis, meaning all, with the dative ending, 'ibus' meaning to or for, so "for all". i.e. a public vehicle, not private.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral