Forums
Posted By: SoundLad Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 12:56pm
My Acer Laptop died last night after 4 years of use its finnally died.. The HD, Memory, CD-DVD-REwriter all works perfect.. The screen doesnt switch on.. The computer turns on but just stops completely. So thats down to a motherboard issue.. The cause ? Powersupply i had trouble ages ago with the connection i sorted it out but it's seemed to have gotten worse ? No idea how it got so bad as i didnt have any issues with it but seems to have Surged big time and killed the motherboard but im glad everything is saved on the HD. Know the big question is does anyone know where to get the Laptop ide converter cable from and if so can anyone point me in the right direction.. Cheers..

P.S. on my gaming PC laugh
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 12:58pm
http://www.maplin.co.uk/SEODynamicPages/module.asp?ModNo=28724

something like that?
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 1:01pm
You know something i forgot about maplins smack .. Cheers davey happy
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 1:04pm
lol think it's only a fiver
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 1:06pm
Damn just tried to order and out of stock.. I'll phone em up and order it and i'll go get it from edge lane tommorow.. Thanks again davey happy
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 1:19pm
no worries mate, just googled "Laptop ide converter cable" from wot u said n gave me loads of options (diff sites lol)
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 3:29pm
I got both a 2.5 - 3.5 IDE connector and also a 2.5 USB 2.0 caddy (is actaully very fast) if you wanna lend either.

smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 3:32pm
Ohh if its ok with you matty can i borrow the USB 2.0 caddy its only to back up the Documents and Settings folder as thats where everything is.. The rest is on disks already its just the favourites and My Documents i need. If i could borrow it would be a Great help as the laptop is useless im gonna sell the HD smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 3:37pm
I can call in and lend it to ye tomoz on me way back from the better halfs if you want. Will be tomorrow afternoonish, got it with me so you just put yours in heh.

Otherwise, when would be best for you?? The 2.5" - 3.5" convertor is quite a bit faster, but the USB 2.0 caddy is pretty darn fast too imho.

smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 3:42pm
Im working tommorow and saturday so id have to sort something out next week or if i can get hold of one sooner i'll let you know like.. Cause work sucks. Cheers mate happy
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 4:20pm
I dont mind posting the 2.5" - 3.5" converor through the letterbox for ye if ye want matey, I hardly ever use it so you can use it at you're lesuire and just lemme know when you have finished with it.

Only bought it cos I was in a similar situation to yourself at one time.

smile
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 4:35pm
Lee what was wrong with your power connection as we have a problem with one of our acer lap tops as well
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 4:39pm
Yeah, yeah so did I, although it has been alright lately...

Would be intrested as well... seems another flaw of Acer's could be the quality of the components they use in their power supplies etc...

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 6:18pm
< My Powers Supply is spot on > smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 6:21pm
Originally Posted by Mark
< My Powers Supply is spot on > smile

Hope it stays that way; from the looks of things just from these forums, Acer seem to have random problems with their power components.

Mind you, from the after-sales support aspect of the company, id never buy a laptop from them again.

Nothing particuarly wrong the laptops, until they go wrong. I think ill stick to HP in the future as it seems its 50/50 to how you're experience with Acer will be.

frown
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 6:42pm
Well its the power cable from the Power Supply its self it was working perfect then all of a sudden when id put it in a certain possition (loose cable maybe inside) the laptop would beep and the 2 lights for power flashed the one for Power and the one for Charge untill i moved it back into the possition i had it.. Otherwise it would work perfect for weeks then all of a sudden go back to do its stupid buisness but for some reason its been getting worse recently and i think its surged big time and fooked the mother board and screen cause nothing happens only the fan spins and HD and the CD nothing on screen wot so ever not even if i plug my main monitor in.. Took the laptop apart and tried everything but nothing its deffo the mother board for the laptop as everything works fine cause ive tried it.. The only thing i aint tried though is the Memory its DDR as im sure that might be fried.. But everything else works fine..
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 6:44pm
What spec is the memory mate?
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 6:49pm
well if any one is intrested i have a Acer lap top with dodgy power supply and S AND E keys missing(still types).open to offers lol raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 6:51pm
Lol just do what I did (and what everyone else was doing from the looks of things)... go into Tesco and take some keys off the display models.

Mind you, I took the space bar and an A key as mine we wearing out, the space bar did'nt fit, and I lost the A key!!

laugh
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 6:53pm
:)PMSL
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 6:54pm
PC2700S - 256MB, DDR, 333, CL2.5 happy
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 6:55pm
Matty thats a fantastic idea smile never thought of that got a broken key PC world do it for free if you dont get caught haha
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 6:55pm
???????? doh
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 6:57pm
well the problem with PC World is they tend to sell on ex-display models... and they keep a close eye on the ones on display.

Tesco on the other hand, usually send display models back to the supplier and they then get "refurbished" and sold through other channels.

So they dont give a shit what happens to their display models and dont sell them on afterwards.

So its safer to do it in Tesco (within reason lol).

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 6:58pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad
PC2700S - 256MB, DDR, 333, CL2.5 happy

Ah okaies, cheers, need a 512MB/1GB stick lol.

Worth a try tease
Posted By: SamJac68 Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 10:37pm
lol, i have exactly the same problem with my acer aspire 5630!

if ya move it at all it goes off yeah? at first it was only if ya moved it off ya lap or whatever, then even if its on a desk and you type too hard it dies or press the plastic either side of the touchpad? sometimes it stays on but screen goes off, sometimes it goes completely dead, sometimes it goes dead and comes straight back on? and when the screen goes off it makes the 2 beep noise.

after the screen stopped coming on i started hitting mine and it came back on (sounds silly but it works)

its at a family friends who are trying to fix it at the mo

glad i know someone else is having the same prob as me lol, mines about 2 years old i think smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 10:41pm
Hmmmm deffo a case building against Acer here.. 4 seprerate and unrelated cases of similar problems on a small local forum is either very strange co-incindence, or a result of shoddy build quality of Acer products...

Personally, after having the amount of problems I have had with their after-sales support and engineers, id go with the latter!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 10:45pm
If i buy a new laptop i think i will go with a Siemens a friend has had his for 4 Years and hes only had to replace the battery.. So i might go for one as there selling them for around £255 in staples.. Windows vista will be removed on purchase belive you me haha..
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 10:49pm
Yeah Siemens are quite good. I have always had excellent service from HP, they seem to pride themselves on supporting their customers, and price-wise, lately they have been competing with Acer...

Thats why I will be going with them next time. Just be a bit careful with Siemens laptop hard drives; its likely they will use Fujitsu hard drives, and they are very prone to failiure on the 2.5" drives.

Otherwise, they are pretty sturdy and reliable pieces of kit.

smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 10:50pm
I hate fujistu drives id most prob buy a new one anyway..
Posted By: SamJac68 Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 10:51pm
i actually got this laptop free due to their shitty customer support

me nan bought me an aspire 1300 in 2002 for school work and all that, had 5 year extended warranty on it, i had several problems with it and it eventually died in summer 07, had 4 months warranty, basically acer said it was the responsibility of an insurance agent and the insurance agent said it was a write off, they apparently never recieved their email, kept fobbing me off with this bullshit after i rang them 20 times same excuse

me grandad said 'let me sort it' told em to stop fobbing me off with this bullshit, theyre trying to keep the claim past the warranty period, sort the fooking laptop etc etc

a boss rang us a day later and was all aoplogies, gave us a reference number to collect an aspire 5630 from comet with the same £600 price tag as the original (which was a lot shitter as it was 5 years old)

hoping it can be repaired and last me a bit longer, been told it needs a bit of soldering on the board shifty
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 10:54pm
(Regarding For Sale) thread so i dont bump it any more than it has been........ (fair use smile )

number 12 Mattlfc smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Acer Laptop Died - 20th Mar 2008 10:55pm
Cheers matey smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Acer Laptop Died - 24th Mar 2008 5:32pm
hardware wise ive never had a problem with my pc (fujitsu siemens scaleo p) - other than the issues i posted a while ago to do with the dvd drive not working right... but turned out it was just the ide cable not beeing fully plugged in!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral