Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Dim Laptop Screen - 8th Jan 2008 2:41am
Right... ive had my laptop for over 3 years now. During that time, on average it has been used 12 hours a day. So we are looking at around 13,000+ hours of usage on the LCD and it is now starting to become just a bit dimmer then id personally like.

I have two options:

1. Effectively retire the laptop and either buy a new one (funds arnt too happy with that idea) or swap it for me mums PC, which used to be my overclocking rig so I know and love it lots lol, which she bought a brand new LCD for last year and she never uses the PC so essentially its still brand new and therefore nice and bright;

2. Somehow make my laptop screen brighter. Ive done as much as I can using the ATI utility to make it look brighter, so now its down to the screen itself. I have been offered a brand new screen panel (including all screen related parts excluding GPU of course) to fit my laptop for a bargain price of £25 (they usually retail at around £100+ a piece), it has only a 30 day warranty, but it should be fine as its brand new, just not direct from Acer or an Acer approved supplier.

My question is, does anyone know if replacing the panel itself and the inverter etc which comes included, will actually lead to an original brightness? Im assuming the bulb will be intergrated into the panel although to be honest I havent yet checked it.

Anyone have any idea's? If ye dont know, please dont post "I think" or "I assume" as that doesnt really help in anyway.

Cheers smile
Posted By: CustomIce Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 8th Jan 2008 9:28am
If you replace the pannel and inverter/backlight driver the screen should return to normal brightness. The backlight is often a sheet of EL material (electroluminescent) which requires a driver to power it, so replacing both of these parts is an entirely reasonable thing to do, and for £25 i'd just do it anyway!
Posted By: Mark Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 8th Jan 2008 9:43am
I didn't know that, but i'm with him wink

£25 you wasted more on a Saturday night lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 8th Jan 2008 1:55pm
Ill see if I can still get ahold of it then. Its not under insurance anymore (ran out in September), so im not bothered about doing anything to it that might void the insurance.

Cheers for that Custom smile
Posted By: CustomIce Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 8th Jan 2008 5:35pm
If you need someone with access to all the security screwdriver bits imaginable let me know wink
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 8th Jan 2008 5:57pm
i might have to take you up on that offer too

the same thing is happening to the screen on my 4 year old Toshiba laptop
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 8th Jan 2008 6:29pm
what custom ice said happy
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 8th Jan 2008 6:29pm
Originally Posted by CustomIce
If you need someone with access to all the security screwdriver bits imaginable let me know wink

talking about those you got one for DS ?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 8th Jan 2008 8:22pm
Originally Posted by CustomIce

Cheers fella, much appreciated. I think it may have gone already, but he did say he would be getting more at the same price, so I will see what happens.

smile
Posted By: CustomIce Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 8th Jan 2008 8:32pm
I'll have a look to see what bits the DS needs
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 9th Jan 2008 12:34am
i assume that this post is useless... i think
Posted By: Pomp Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 9th Jan 2008 12:57am
Well there davey boy i also think that this post is useless... well i assume anyway.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 9th Jan 2008 1:02am
not useless. leave it up sir pomp
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 9th Jan 2008 9:06am
Huh? think
Posted By: anniebo28 Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 20th Feb 2008 4:45pm
The back light in a laptop is a floresent tube usually running along one edge of the screen (usually bottem, check where the pink and white wires are). Replacing the whole screen will make it return to its original brightness, although i wouldn't throw away your screen as if the back light goes on the new one (and they are prone to go), you can replace the back light. The screen unit itself can be taken apart in about 5 min and is easy enough if you look at the clip tabs holding it together.
-Also, the nintendo DS has tri wing screws in it (Smae as the Wii, Game cube and Gameboy) and needs a tri wing screw driver (3 wings instead of the standard philips 4).
They are available on Ebay for around £3
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Dim Laptop Screen - 26th Mar 2008 5:17pm
Could I conceievebly replace just the bulb in the screen and get the same effect, or would it require the panel and inverter as well?

It's starting to annoy me now; I see my media centre and it is so bright compared to the laptop lol.

It's okay once my eye adjust to it, would like to get it back to it's original brightness though.

smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral