Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 24th Aug 2007 1:10pm
Originally Posted by Digital Spy
In a bid to get gamers through their doors over the bank holiday weekend, high-street retailer Woolworths has dropped the price of the PlayStation 3 to what the chain has described as its "lowest ever level".

During this weekend, the store will sell the next-gen console for £375 complete with two games, two Blu-ray movies and an additional controller.

The deal, which is available in-store and online, coincides with the Xbox 360 price drop which sees the Core model selling for £179.99 and the Premium system reduced to £249.99.

“We expect it to be a massive weekend for games and console sales,” said Woolworths games buyer Alastair Burks.

I say it still won't sell lmao, unless people have been planning to buy it, not many are going say "yeah its only £375, ill av to get one" smack

Digital Spy Report
Posted By: Mark Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 24th Aug 2007 1:12pm
£199 and it may start to shift wink
Posted By: jonah Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 26th Aug 2007 10:44am
Originally Posted by Mark
£199 and it may start to shift wink

£199 and i'd go buy one to hook up in me car !!! wink
Posted By: Mark Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 12:05am
see ive got rid of one

sony take note of my sales technique smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 12:27am
lol ^^^

Personally i prefer Xbox

And the Xbox 1 still has pretty good gameplay/graphics etc so i don`t see the point in rushing out to buy a 360 until they come down in price again. (gotta admit though i`m getting one for the kids for Chistmas lol)

Sure the ps has blueray, blah blahbut it has limited things out atm

You want blueray? buy a new dvd player (a quality one)
All "these 2 in one" machines ie:dvd/video players etc, i think are thrown together?

I prefer seperate units myself.
But thats just my opinion smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 12:28am
Blu-ray may be doomed anyway, Paramount and Dreamworks have just dropped it in favour of HD-DVD to add to Universal in the HD-DVD camp.

smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 12:37am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Blu-ray may be doomed anyway, Paramount and Dreamworks have just dropped it in favour of HD-DVD to add to Universal in the HD-DVD camp.

smile

See? there we go!

Hmmm, starting to look like a reoccurence of the doomed 3DO!

I remember my mate getting one of these and paying 500 quid or something stupid like that and it turned out to be a major fook up and total waste of money.

Attached picture 3do.jpg
Attached picture 3do2.jpg
Attached picture 3do2.jpg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 12:44am
Lol, the CDi was just as bad...

As was the Sega Saturn, but that was cos Sega of Europe didnt have a clue that Sega of Japan were working on the Saturn and were busy spending millions promoting the Mars too heavily, Sega Of America didnt have a clue Sega Of Japan were working on the Saturn and Sega of Europe were looking to the Mars, and were busy working on the Neptune, and Sega of Japan didnt have any idea about what they were doing on the Saturn to be honest, they ended up making it shit powerful, but too complicated to code for.

So whilst Sega of Europe were busy touting the failing Sega Mars and Sega of America had been working on the Sega Neptune, Sega of Japan had already finished the Sega Saturn and were ready for a worldwide release, so they slapped both Sega of America and Sega of Europe and went ahead with the worldwide launch, thus dooming the Neptune and finishing off the failing Mars.

Lol, I love riddles.

grin
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 12:51am
wasn`t the neptune the 32x? add on for the megadrive or sumink?

Wtf was the mars?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 12:54am
The Mars was the 32x, the Neptune was the Mega Drive with a built in 32x, which hit the prototype stages before Japan announced the Saturn and put an end to it. Neither Europe or America knew that Japan was working on the Saturn, and so therefore they thought the 32x was the future, but in reality it was just a temporary fix to offer 32bit technology until the Saturn came out, but Japan didnt have the courteousy to inform Europe and America of this fact lol.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 12:57am
Also, it was supposed to be the Nintendo PlayStation... but just as Sony announced it at a press conference alongside Nintendo, Nintendo found something in the contract that they didnt like and tore the contract up.

Bet they kicked themselves for that one during the 32bit N64 years lol.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 1:00am
lol, madness, just like the genesis was the japanese megadrive.

They made quite a few consoles did sega...

Sega master system
megadrive
saturn
dreamcast
gamegear
jaguar
i have to admit i never had a jaguar due to my dad saying they would be a waste of money and he was right.

smile

Remember the atari lynx?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 1:06am
Actually, the Genesis was the US version of the Mega Drive, it was the Mega Drive in the EU and Asia.

They also had the Mega CD, 32X, WonderMega, Genesis 3, X-Eye, CDX, Multi-Mega, Nomad, LaserActive, TeraDrive and MSX... and they were only during the Mega Drive generation looooooooooool - and were all incidently either versions of, or addons to the Mega Drive!

raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 1:08am
I remember the Lynx, it was re-released alongside a couple of other Atari consoles in about 2003, it was on sale in Game lol, but I never saw anyone buying one.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 1:14am
lol, my mate had a lynx
i only knew of the nomad since i saw one on ebay two years ago, lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 1:18am
Lmao, the Nomad was HUGE, but was a miniture version of the Mega Drive in essence.

Interestingly though, during the development of the 32X, it was widely assumed that in the future, manufacturers would just release addon's to upgrade consoles as opposed to new consoles.

Upon release though, the 32X quickly put an end to that lol.

Tbh though, the graphics of the Saturn and the 32X wernt all too different although you can notice some lower textures and detail on the 32X version, there is a good screenshot of Street Fighter on both systems somewhere on the web, ill have a look for it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 1:20am
I vaguely remember Commodore bringing out a console version of the Amiga too, think that was 32 bit, another one that never took off.
Cannot remember the name of it though. think
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 1:25am
I think it was summit like the Amiga 6400, but it was again in reality either 16 or 32bit, although it was touted as 64 bit like the N64, which again was in reality 32bit.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 1:30am
Hmm just had a google maybe the CD32?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 1:31am
lol, just found this thanks to google image search happy

Here

It was the CD32 & look at the features it had!

Attached picture cd32console.jpg
Posted By: Waddi Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 8:16pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
I remember the Lynx, it was re-released alongside a couple of other Atari consoles in about 2003, it was on sale in Game lol, but I never saw anyone buying one.

I was working in GAME at the time of this "re-release", it wasnt a re-release as such,

A bit of history:
The GAME group started as a computer games shop called "Future Zone," they then took out a franchise with a main US chain "electronic boutique" A rival company called "Game" was then started up and was a major rival and then overtook EB as the number 1 retailer of computer games. So EB bought out GAME along with the ownership to the companies recognised name "GAME". But as EB was only a franchised name, when the franchise contract ended, All EB stores were to be re-branded as GAME. when this happened a number of warehouses were closed and within 1 of these warehouse was a lot of forgotton retro discontinued consoles and games:

Atari Jaguar
Atari LYNX
Sega Game Gear
Barcode Battler
A neo-geo console
A Neo-geo handheld
and lots of games for the above mentioned.

They sold very well! thumbsup
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 8:31pm
The rest of that might be true, but the Neo Geo Pocket was a 1999/2000 release in Europe and was sold by many retailers.

So that deffo wasnt one of the console's sold as part of this. It could have been stock that remained unsold, but it certainly wasnt at the time considered a "retro" console, and certainly wouldnt have been forgotten about (more likely considered to be burning a hole in the pockets of the owners).

If you think they had mobile devices of the power or quality of the Neo Geo pocket in the late 1980's/early 1990's, you are mistaken. The screen alone was a world away from that of the Lynx/Game Gear, even the Game Boy colour, not to mention it was smaller then a Game Boy Advance and not a house brick (or bigger) like the Game Gear, Nomad and Lynx.

It was every bit as adavanced as the latter released Game Boy Advance.

To be honest, that story actually sounds a lot like these hoax stories that fly around every now and again. Just like the "warehouse full of Sega Neptunes" that was found in 2001 or 2002 and never really saw frutation.

The boxes all looked pretty modern at the time I saw them on sale, and as Atari is owned by Hasbro, I would still be inclined to believe the re-release claim's over another folk story.

With regards to consoles being re-released, it actually happens quite often. Its not as rare as you might actually think, it's mainly for companies to cash in on past brands, because they know hardcore fan's and collectors will buy them no matter what.

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 8:38pm
its not a hoax, I worked for GAME at the time. we only had so many per store and a certain time bracket to sell them in or they were being scrapped.

The store where I worked in the pyramids actually gave a lot of remaining stock to operation christmas child and give a child a chance charities, instead of binning them.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 28th Aug 2007 8:43pm
Well how was the Neo Geo Pocket considered a "retro console" - it was post 2000...

And I still would believe its a hoax... Game probably released that statement as an official release, because they had some sort of exclusivity deal with Hasbro (more like they were the only company willing to take them off Hasbro's hands to sell).

As I say, the packaging certainly wasnt 1980's style and it was all perfect (after over a decade just sitting in a warehouse, it would have deteriorated in some fashion).

Plus, its not like they wouldnt have moved between warehouses in the time, or exapnded, and say you got so many hundred square feet of space being held up with consoles, you wouldnt just "forget" about it lmao.

Its a story imho, no matter if it was the official line, its still highly unlikely to be true.

wink
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 29th Aug 2007 1:13am
omg
Check this out!!!!

Here
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 29th Aug 2007 1:23am
Lol, its still being touted as a 64bit console, when in reality the only component that was truely 64bit was the timing unit for the CPU, the CPU itself was only 32bit as were the GPU's.

You would think they would have learnt by now, the graphics were shite compared to the Nintendo 64, which also wasnt truely 64bit, in fact the graphics were shite compared to the PlayStation to be honest.

And in them day, graphics mattered, big time!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 30th Aug 2007 1:29pm
My PC is a retro console LOL i have so many Emulators im spoilt for choice.. Ive even got a working PS2 emulator which is in early stages and plays some Games but not all.. Be nice when its final....
Posted By: Waddi Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 30th Aug 2007 6:08pm
No, this PC is a retro console:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 30th Aug 2007 6:57pm
Lol i wanna make one of thos Micro ITX's using an OLD BBC Micro smile cause the keyboards are fantastic they never make em like they used to...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Woolworths To Sell Cut Price PS3 - 30th Aug 2007 7:45pm
Haha thats quality that Waddi fella!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral