Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe St Pauls Church - Argyle Street (1906) - 21st Mar 2008 1:23pm

[Linked Image]

St Pauls C of E Church is seen in Argyle Street on the corner of Market Street in 1906.

Erected in 1867 and consecrated the following year, it cost c.£5,000 to build. Due to demand, it was enlarged in 1883 at a cost of £4,300 and had 1,200 sittings.
The building was demolished just after the Second World War.

The flying flag in the distance was above the New Theatre Royal which opened in 1864.
By popular demand, the live theatre gave way to movies when the building was converted to the Scala Cinema in 1921.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: St Pauls Church - Argyle Street (1906) - 21st Mar 2008 1:37pm
That looks so different the Top Picture.. Its like the only 2 buildings left are the Brass Balance and the shop on the corner of Market Street everything else is new.. smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: St Pauls Church - Argyle Street (1906) - 21st Mar 2008 3:38pm
You'll have to stop posting these old pics, Joe; they make me feel sad, as I remember so many of them. (only kidding)

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St Pauls Church - Argyle Street (1906) - 21st Mar 2008 3:58pm
Cheer up Chris ! There are plenty of old relics still about:-

There's..... you.
There's..... me.
There's..... ermmmm ?

The "Then & Now" pics. never fail to impress. Could study them for hours!

Thanks to all.
Posted By: chriskay Re: St Pauls Church - Argyle Street (1906) - 21st Mar 2008 4:20pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

There's..... you.
There's..... me.
There's..... ermmmm ?

and Snodvan, judging from his post on the petrified forest.
Welcome to the old gits section, Snod.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: St Pauls Church - Argyle Street (1906) - 21st Mar 2008 4:30pm
Thank you folks

I have a number of history items on which I will post
This will include a fair number of pics from around Wallasey rather than Birkenhead.

At the moment the "big hunt" is on at home for a document relating to the proposed Wirral Aerodrome at Saughall Massie. That was proposed by the Birkenhead Council people in 1947 (I have their documents containing the proposal). However, I seem to have mislaid the documents relating to the Sughall Massie site. I NEVER throw anything away, so it must be somewhere.

Snod
Posted By: Mark Re: St Pauls Church - Argyle Street (1906) - 22nd Mar 2008 12:44am
Joe your a star at these now and thens

You know all the places lol
Posted By: jimbob Re: St Pauls Church - Argyle Street (1906) - 22nd Jun 2009 9:01pm
All you old sods {same as me} will remember in the early 50s the corner of market street and argle street where st pauls church had been was an empty piece of land with billboard hoardings for years.
Posted By: mrallen Re: St Pauls Church - Argyle Street (1906) - 8th Jul 2009 8:15pm
I have just come across this engraving on ebay I thought you might be interested. It says St pauls Working Mens Church 1864 below the picture.

Attached picture stpaulsworkingmenschurchbirkenhead1864.jpg
Posted By: chris7777 Re: St Pauls Church - Argyle Street (1906) - 15th Jul 2009 8:09pm
WOW! i love all these old pics, my Great Uncle was married there in 1913, he was killed on the Somme in 1916, his widow remarried there in 1919.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral