Forums
Posted By: cutespam 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
I'm trying to find any information about a murder that was committed in the 1970's.

Mark Roberts murdered a woman in central park, dumped body in the lake and fled to Wales where he was either apprehended or gave himself up.

I remember finding information at the local library in Rake Lane but I didn't keep any of the details of the newspaper it was reported in - presumably Wallasey News/Wirral Globe.

I've tried to locate these newspaper articles but have been so far unsuccessful - does anyone know anything about the case, know Mark Roberts or have a link to stories covering the murder?

Kind regards
Cutespam
An unusual and/or coincidental link to the Eddie/Paula Gilfoyle murder case

"Paula Gilfoyle met Mark Roberts in 1973 when she was 14 years of age and he was 17. The couple became engaged in 1974. In October that year, Roberts strangled Christine Buckley to death with his belt hours after having sex with her near the park’s toilet block. He dumped the young girl’s body in the lake. Paula Gilfoyle stood by Roberts when he was convicted of the woman’s rape and murder."
Posted By: venice Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 4th Aug 2018 4:41pm
What happened to Mark Roberts DD, was he convicted and eventually released?
The quote I put above appears incomplete. in 1976 Mark Roberts was sent to jail for 6 months for stealing a car, it may have been October 1976 he killed Christine Buckley not 1974. He was sentenced to life for the murder of Christine, I guess he would have been released after about 15 years?
Posted By: Norton Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 5th Aug 2018 4:24pm
From Liverpool Echo, Monday 4th October 1976..

"Mark Glyn Roberts, of Hope Street, Wallasey, was remanded in custody until October 13. He is charged with murdering Christine Buckley. at Wallasey, on or about October 1. Reporting restrictions were not lifted. ...
Posted By: cutespam Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 9th Aug 2018 9:53pm
Hi Norton and DD,

Do you have anyway of directing me to the news reports? Google seems to be a little lax in finding something relevant.

I've been to the central library in Wallasey but I never printed anything off the internet. It's weird how I can't find much about the case.
Do the newspaper reports mention which prison he was remanded/sentenced to?

Thanks for your help so far.

xxx
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 9th Aug 2018 11:52pm
Following
Posted By: bert1 Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 10th Aug 2018 4:31am
I haven't got a subscription with Find My Past, the below is available in the Newspapers search section.

[Linked Image]

Some libraries offer free time, FMP/Ancestry
Posted By: daveybm Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 10th Aug 2018 7:59am
This is an extract from a book called "Guilty Until Proven Innocent The Crisis In Our Justice System" by Jon Robins Guilty Until Proven Innocent

It is basically about Eddie Gilfoyle but has connections to Mark Roberts and Christine Buckley
Posted By: Norton Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 10th Aug 2018 11:18am
I use Ancestry for my family tree and so I have a monthly subscription which gives access to BMD and census for example, included in the price.
However, sometimes the info I want can't be found there but is on Find My Past, so I buy pay-as-you-go credits with them. FMP is good for ships passenger lists and war records, but also links into The British Newspaper Archive.
Naturally, if I go searching through the records, including the newspaper records, it uses some of my credits, which I have to replace. As credits only last for a few months if you don't use them, then I'm happy looking up something like this if I can find the time and I've had an otherwise low usage period.
I should note that the Liverpool Echo has recently been added to their archive, but the Wallasey or Birkenhead News does not seem to be on-line yet.
Posted By: cutespam Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 10th Aug 2018 1:37pm
Thanks to everyone who's been commenting.

I've managed to find the relevant articles on FMP and until I get a subscription it won't allow me to view the whole article. I've just paid for another month with ancestry but once that runs out ill use FMP for one month and see if I like it.

The reason I'm so interested in this case, why I was told about it when growing up, is due to the fact that I'm related to Mark Glyn Roberts and I was hoping to find some answers as to why he did what he did.

Thanks everyone you've been wonderful x
Posted By: nightwalker Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 11th Aug 2018 12:28pm
Liverpool Echo 07 February 1977. Hope it's legible....

Attached picture murder2.jpg
Posted By: cutespam Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 25th Aug 2018 8:58pm
Thanks so much Nightwalker xx
Posted By: Csones Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 19th Oct 2018 12:44pm
Am also trying to find him does anyone know his date of birth x
Posted By: bert1 Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 19th Oct 2018 1:48pm
His birth was registered in the June Quarter, 1955, Birkenhead,

If you want his full date of birth, you will need to purchase his birth certificate, it's very unlikely to be available online to find.
Posted By: ShySusie Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 20th Oct 2018 5:53am
Originally Posted by Csones
Am also trying to find him does anyone know his date of birth x

If you go on Peoplefinder 192 there are three Mark Glyn Roberts listed in the UK. You will need to buy credits to see full addresses though.
Posted By: Csones Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 19th Mar 2019 5:33pm
Thank u am trying to find out what prison he is in as he is my uncle and I really want to speak to him
I very much doubt that he is still in prison for that offence, this will make finding him a lot harder unless he has or does re-offend.
Posted By: Csones Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 19th Mar 2019 6:40pm
He wont get out I know as he did bad stuff in prision he has got life when my nan his mum died we lost contact I know he will not get out but i dont know what prision he is in
Posted By: bert1 Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 20th Mar 2019 4:00pm
Originally Posted by Csones
He wont get out I know as he did bad stuff in prision he has got life when my nan his mum died we lost contact I know he will not get out but i dont know what prision he is in

https://www.gov.uk/find-prisoner
Posted By: NBboy Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 28th May 2019 11:01am
I sent you a PM, let me know if you received it, thx
Posted By: Almcalface Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 15th Aug 2019 1:56pm
You do realise his brother also committed murder. Two very troubled kids who turned into troubled men.
Posted By: carcol58 Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 1st Feb 2020 2:22am
I believe Mark may have been in Rampton Hospital I knew Mark when I was a child/teen and remember talking to him shortly before the tragic event in Central Park and he said to me that he was frightened that he was going to do something that would put him away for a long time as he was finding it hard to cope on the outside . I believe his younger brother also went to prison for manslaughter not definite about this but possibly true.I also heard one of them may have passed away inside ,which one I am not sure .
Posted By: Corinne Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 28th Feb 2024 12:23pm
Hi I have found Mark took a while but I found him he is alive and is still in prison
Posted By: Corinne Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 28th Feb 2024 12:26pm
Did u send me a pm I didn't receive iam corinne sones on Facebook
Posted By: Corinne Re: 1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey - 28th Feb 2024 12:28pm
Hi iam corinne sones Mark is my uncle I have found him if u like to chat u could find me on Facebook don't know how to use this thing
© Wirral-Wikiwirral