Forums
Posted By: derekdwc 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 1st Mar 2009 4:20pm
671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey

Indexed happy

Attached picture Egremont Ferry  48 Tobin Street  Wallasey.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 27th Jan 2010 4:38pm
Does anyone know if the Eggy was ever referred to as "The Tap Hotel"?
Posted By: daveybm Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 28th Jan 2010 2:17pm
Never heard of it called The Tap but there is one at Eastham Ferry think its proper name is The Pier Hotel.

Dave
Posted By: daveybm Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 28th Jan 2010 2:18pm
Link to The Tap, Eastham.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/18983

Dave
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 28th Jan 2010 3:51pm
There is a Census Report from 1891 stating that a resident was living at the Tap (or Top) Hotel, Tobin Street and at Hotel Cottages 48 Tobin Street. I suspect the cottages were on part of the grounds of the Tap Hotel.

There was only three public houses on Tobin Street - "The Ferry Hotel", "Ferry Pier Hotel" and the "Long Pull" so the Tap Hotel wasn't one of those. It therefore leaves the Egremont Ferry/
Posted By: daveybm Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 29th Jan 2010 11:43am
I didn't know that there where 3 pubs in Tobin St, Godfrey's map of 1899 shows only 2 and 1 is where the Egremont Ferry is now. I had heard of the "Long Pull" and assumed it was the 1 near the top of Tobin St

Dave
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 12th Mar 2010 7:29pm
The public house 'The Egremont Ferry' still has some interesting features and before WW2 an ice cream and amusement arcasde opened. Above were the well known timber yards of Edmunds, Taylor and Company.

There were 3 pubs in Tobin Street. 'The Ferry Hotel', 'Ferry Pier Hotel' and 'The Long Pull'.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 12th Mar 2010 7:31pm
The public house 'The Egremont Ferry' still has some interesting features and before WW2 an ice cream and amusement arcasde opened. Above were the well known timber yards of Edmunds, Taylor and Company.

There were 3 pubs in Tobin Street. 'The Ferry Hotel', 'Ferry Pier Hotel' and 'The Long Pull'.
Posted By: kimpri Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 21st Mar 2011 4:13pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

repost
Posted By: kimpri Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 21st Mar 2011 4:16pm
Egremont Ferry

Attached picture 1.JPG
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 21st Mar 2011 4:19pm
that's naughty Joe - only a year later reply
Besides rudebox often gets an echo on her phone

great find - how do you do it

the large building behind looks like it has Institute on it
Posted By: kimpri Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 21st Mar 2011 4:27pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
that's naughty Joe - only a year later reply
Besides rudebox often gets an echo on her phone

great find - how do you do it

the large building behind looks like it has Institute on it
That was my next post
1901 census names it as the Egremont Institute.
Great picture, kimpri1. Do you know the date - it looks like they're celebrating a Coronation which would make it 1902 or 1911. Anyone know when the pub was built?
Posted By: Stegga Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 26th Mar 2011 6:06pm
Judging by the portraits on the wall i'd say it was the coronation of Edward VII and Alexandra 1902
Agreed! Interesting that it was then known simply as the Ferry Hotel.
From a slightly different angle. Date unknown but possibly early 1900s?

Attached picture egremont ferry3.jpg
Posted By: Norton Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 24th Oct 2011 3:49am
Two more photo's of this long established pub.
For a while, it was just called the 'Ferry', as in the 2003 shot.
It's called the 'Egremont Ferry' again now, but I doubt if the 2011 Mersey Marathon runners have time to notice that.

Description: The Ferry in 2003
Attached picture 671-2003.JPG

Description: The Egremont Ferry in 2011 as the Marathon runners pass by.
Attached picture 671-2011.JPG
Posted By: Helles Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 15th Nov 2011 1:45pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
Does anyone know if the Eggy was ever referred to as "The Tap Hotel"?

Only a couple of years out of date but can't read everything at once. Do you think that "Tap" could be referred to as a part of a pub rather than the pub name? We had the "Tap" in the Neptune New Brighton when I first started drinking in the sixties. It was the bar at the back which the locals drank in rather than the day trippers.
Posted By: gffbry Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 3rd Dec 2011 12:45pm
The Tap Room was usually a single room in the pub next to the bar where mostly guys would drink, usually regulars, smokers and dominoes players
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 1st Aug 2012 12:59pm
Originally Posted by nightwalker
Great picture, kimpri1. Do you know the date Anyone know when the pub was built?

In the 1857 PO Directory there's an
Egremont Hotel Vaults
Originally Posted by nightwalker
Great picture, kimpri1. Do you know the date - it looks like they're celebrating a Coronation which would make it 1902 or 1911. Anyone know when the pub was built?

Judging from the following in the Lancaster Gazette of 4th June 1831, it appears that the Egremont Hotel opened earlier that year. There's an earlier reference in January 1831 to 4 hogsheads and 24 cases of brandy being imported for the Hotel, possibly in order to stock up for the opening. The owner of the Hotel is recorded as Stanley Garner of Wallasey Hall, who had married Ann Cross of the Stanley Arms Hotel, Seacombe, in July 1829.

Attached picture Egremont Ferry Hotel.jpg
Posted By: crampy Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 28th Mar 2013 8:32pm
I left Wallasey in 1970. I think then there were 45 pubs, using the Twenty Row as the limit. Since I left 22 have closed.
OMG half have gone.
After many years the Egremont
Hotel was renamed "The Egremont Institute and Assembly Rooms".
http://www.oldwirral.com/wallasey_egremont.html
Egremont Ferry 9th April 2013. Lights Are On, No One Is Home. Furniture Has All Been Removed. :-(

Attached picture IMG_2009.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2010.JPG
Posted By: Tatey Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 10th Apr 2013 7:08am
Surely the institute was behind the pub?
Posted By: Norton Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 10th Apr 2013 3:48pm
It would seem that there was more than one pub/hotel in Tobin Street, and I think that causes a lot of confusion.

To quote from 'Sandstone and Mortar' -
"In 1859 a preaching station was set up in the Egremont Institute (formerly Egremont Hotel) in Tobin Street in Egremont by a group of Scottish businessmen. It was then known as the United Presbyterian Church."

However, the various street guides also provide us with information. In some cases, Egremont is refered to as being in either Liverpool or Birkenhead, although the details below are from the same page for any given year.

1878 Egremont Hotel and Tap, Tobin Street, Egremont. W Pickford.
1883 Egremont Hotel, Tobin St., Egremont. John Tobin.
1902 Egremont Pier Hotel, 48 Tobin St, Egremont. Daniel Charles Rose.

Once again from the directories -
1878 Ferry, Tobin St., Egremont. G Thraves.
1883 Ferry, Tobin St., Egremont. Thomas H Baker.
1902 Ferry Hotel, 12 Tobin St., Egremont. Nicholas Burnell-Jones.

Notice the dates, as both Hotels exsisted at the same time for a number of years. If the extract from Sandstones is correct, then the Egremont Hotel must have gone back to its former self by 1878. The Institute is clearly visible behind it in the c 1902 picture from earlier in this thread. And, of course, the Street Directory also gives evidence to there being a 'Tap'.

The link to the Old Wirral article on "The Egremont Institute and Assembly Rooms" describes it as having a dining room 60 feet long and 30 feet wide, which I find a little difficult to imagine, as I remember the 'Ferry when there were small rooms downstairs and acommodation upstairs. I'm also assuming that 48 Tobin St is closest to the river, as the bank on the corner is at No. 3.

The Kellys Directory for 1906 refers to the 'Ferry Pier Hotel' and the 'Ferry Hotel' just as it did in 1902, but it includes a reference to the 'Egremont Institute' (Alfred Bedwell, Sec) under the heading of Literary & Scientific Institutes. Unfortunately, no number is given for it.

As it now stands, as can be seen from the pictures, the fixtures and fittings have been sold off and the keys handed back to the PubCo. I've been told that another couple should be taking the 'Ferry over, probably in about a month's time. Here's hoping...
Institute at the rear of the Egremont Ferry,
The link to the Old Wirral article on "The Egremont Institute and Assembly Rooms" describes it as having a dining room 60 feet long and 30 feet wide, which I find a little difficult to imagine, as I remember the 'Ferry when there were small rooms downstairs and acommodation upstairs.
Dining room in the Institute not the Eggy Ferry.

Attached picture 1.JPG
Wont get these to fit in the eggy ferry...

"There are a number of good residences, and the principal inhabitants are business men of Liverpool. Egremont Institute, Tobin street, opened in 1883, consists of an assembly room, holding 400 persons, library with upwards of 1,300 volumes, reading and billiard rooms, and connected with it is a chess and draughts club, science classes, chemistry, shorthand and language classes and an amateur dramatic society."
Taken from this site. Cheers
http://forebears.co.uk/england/cheshire/wallasey/egremont
Posted By: Norton Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 10th Apr 2013 6:11pm
Hi ZC.
Thanks for reposting the picture. I realised my mistake after it was too late to re-edit, thanks to a couple of phone calls, sorry about that. I remember seeing a reference to the Institute being connected to the Hotel, and the way I read it (or seemed to remember reading it) the implication was that the pub had a large dining room overlooking the river. In fact, the size was given in the newspaper clip, and not on the Old Wirral site, and with interuptions, I mixed things up before I realised it.
Hi Again Norton, just found a bit more.. read about the "Egremont Baptist Church". Cheers

http://www.historyofwallasey.co.uk/wallasey/Wallasey_Churches_Egremont/index.html
Looking on the 1901 Census a Lady called Elizabeth Drury was Manageress living at the Egremont Institute which was numbered 34 Tobin Street not 48.This lady later went on to marry my 2x Great Grandfather.She was a widow , and on the obituary for her Husband Robert it said he was late of the Egremont Institute.Maybe this is the Institute and Assembley rooms that had a 60ft dining room.Robert and his wife Elizabeth moved here sometime between 1891 and 1899 when Robert died.
I went passed the Eggy Ferry twice this week and not one workman on site. I wonder whats happened to the renovation.
Posted By: europa1 Re: 671 Egremont Ferry 48 Tobin Street Wallasey - 10th Sep 2013 8:19am
The building behind is the Egremont Institute. During the 1930's it was the meeting place of the Blackshirts aka British Union of Fascists. They would hold their parade there and march in formation up Tobin St. They would drink in the Egremont Ferry before and after meetings.
The Egremont Ferry ( currently The Ferry Hotel) is having a lot of work done at the moment, new patio area and left hand side of the building having some alterations to include a double door to the patio area. Currently owned by Punch Pubs who own about 90 pubs spread around the UK
© Wirral-Wikiwirral