Forums
Posted By: Dilly Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 7:04am
Will be delivered today. What are you're thought's ?
Posted By: Mark Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 7:07am
Guilty. Sadly.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 7:22am
Guilty !
Posted By: granny Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 7:30am
Not guilty of 'premeditated murder'........Guilty of firearms charges.

Posted By: Dilly Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 7:35am
Guilty !
Posted By: granny Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 8:23am
Andrew Harding Africa correspondent tweets: Most witnesses got their facts wrong, says Judge, citing media attention and fact that witnesses had followed trial in news. Important.

Andrew Harding Africa correspondent tweets: Conclusion that #OscarPistorius version re. his screams not contradicted by state is crucial - premeditated murder verdict seems unlikely?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 10:44am
judge bottled it? legal jargon over "premeditated" IMO she had locked herself in the bathroom to get away from him. How many couples lock the bathroom door in the middle of the night when taking a pee? The premeditation might have only been minutes before he shot in anger.
Posted By: granny Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 10:51am
11:48: To recap: Judge Thokozile Masipa has now dismissed all the possible murder charges in the Oscar Pistorius trial. The only two remaining charges are either culpable homicide or acquittal.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 11:00am
Originally Posted by granny
11:48: To recap: Judge Thokozile Masipa has now dismissed all the possible murder charges in the Oscar Pistorius trial. The only two remaining charges are either culpable homicide or acquittal.

Culpable homicide" has been defined simply as "the unlawful negligent killing of a human being"

Think she will go for that

Posted By: granny Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 11:01am
Originally Posted by fish5133
judge bottled it? legal jargon over "premeditated" IMO she had locked herself in the bathroom to get away from him. How many couples lock the bathroom door in the middle of the night when taking a pee? The premeditation might have only been minutes before he shot in anger.

It was the sound of her locking the bathroom door that made him fire. He thought someone was coming out.He was already armed at that point.
Posted By: casper Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 11:50am
Lets hope that fame and the celebrity status don't detract from the right verdict, not premeditated as that would mean he planned it, but he is a volatile character with a love of guns, shoot first question later, argument teach you a lesson, no thought for safety, he may also face charges for discharging a gun in a public place.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 3:56pm
Guilty as hell.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 11th Sep 2014 4:44pm
Originally Posted by granny

It was the sound of her locking the bathroom door that made him fire. He thought someone was coming out.He was already armed at that point.

If she was locking the door then presumably about 20 seconds earlier she was getting out of bed to walk to the loo in which time Oscar not realising she is next to him grabs his gun-- follows and shoots-- too improbable for me.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 12th Sep 2014 6:43pm
today found guilty of culpable homicide/manslaughter.

can be sentenced for up to 15years!

also heard he was found guilty of one of the possession/discharging of firearm charges too.

I've thought all along it was manslaughter not murder so glad that's been confirmed. But not happy that he could actually get off with just a fine.
Posted By: keef666 Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 13th Sep 2014 6:18pm
Should be hung! but because he's white he will get 12 months!
Posted By: granny Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 13th Sep 2014 7:44pm
I don't even think he'll get that.

Two and half years 'house arrest' plus fine, is my opinion.
Posted By: granny Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 19th Oct 2014 11:13am
We can discount the fine...he has no money left.

Not even enough to pay his legal fees. Only two winners in this tragic event. The Defence Lawyer and the Prosecution Lawyer.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 19th Oct 2014 11:26am
My opinion, and this is just my opinion is that if he gets anything less than 10 year's prison, justice has not been done.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 19th Oct 2014 12:29pm
withthat
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 19th Oct 2014 12:43pm
Originally Posted by keef666
Should be hung! but because he's white he will get 12 months!

funny how it was black judge that found him NOT guilty of murder.

Got to be more than 5 years--you get that just for being charged with negligence when a drunk drugged up passenger falls under your train.
Posted By: casper Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 19th Oct 2014 12:57pm
An Oscar for Oscar, all the hand wringing and weeping and playing the disabled card, and his defence making him out to be the victim, he used some vicious ammo, real damage causing stuff, four rounds fired, it shows he has very little self control, along with a dangerous fascination for guns, he's got to do time.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 19th Oct 2014 2:24pm
Originally Posted by casper
An Oscar for Oscar, all the hand wringing and weeping and playing the disabled card, and his defence making him out to be the victim, he used some vicious ammo, real damage causing stuff, four rounds fired, it shows he has very little self control, along with a dangerous fascination for guns, he's got to do time.
Totally agree with Casper.
Posted By: venice Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 19th Oct 2014 10:20pm
withthat
Posted By: granny Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 20th Oct 2014 7:39am
To prosecute and call for a prison sentence in SA must mean they have a heart of stone.To be a Judge and impose a prison sentence in SA, must mean they have a heart of stone. Horrendous punishment for anyone, from all accounts.
Being aware that he possibly will get a jail term, as that's what everyone is calling for, will not make me dance for joy. It would also be a punishment served on his family.
No hand clapping in my opinion.
Hope no one takes that personally on here,....not intended that way.
However, I do wonder how many innocents have been sent down in SA and black , who did not have the funds to pay for a defence lawyer of any calibre. Nel is an evil so and so, but his name in lights has dimmed during this trial. The British courts and trials are so much more just. We should appreciate our legal system here much more.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 21st Oct 2014 8:35am
1. Culpable homicide - max 5 years imprisonment.
2. Contravention of firearms act - 3 years imprisonment suspended for 5 years.

Sentence shall run concurrently.
Posted By: venice Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 21st Oct 2014 9:22am
Originally Posted by Willo_
1. Culpable homicide - max 5 years imprisonment.
2. Contravention of firearms act - 3 years imprisonment suspended for 5 years.

Sentence shall run concurrently.javascript: void(0)

Appeals to follow no doubt. This is unlikely to be the end of the matter.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 21st Oct 2014 10:28am
He'll be allowed to apply for parole after serving 10 months !!
Mmmmmm. I wonder how his late girlfriend's parents view that?

It looks like it pays to go to drama school, then flood the courtroom with crocodile tears!
Posted By: Dilly Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 21st Oct 2014 10:48am
I believe the judge said a custodial sentence was need to send out a message.What was the message , get away with murder ?
Posted By: rocks Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 21st Oct 2014 3:36pm
the whole trial was a joke and i was shocked to learn her parents had been receiving money off the man who killed their daughter!
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/14/reeva-steenkamp-parents-payments-oscar-pistorius

Posted By: granny Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 21st Oct 2014 3:55pm
Originally Posted by rocks
the whole trial was a joke and i was shocked to learn her parents had been receiving money off the man who killed their daughter!
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/14/reeva-steenkamp-parents-payments-oscar-pistorius

Yes, me too. What I thought was more shocking, was only when this was announced in court last week, a statement was read from their lawyer the very next day, to say they would pay every penny back.
They won't need it now, as they will get a fortune from the stories and TV interviews, that are anticipated.
Posted By: venice Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 22nd Oct 2014 12:32pm
Granny [/quote]
Yes, me too. What I thought was more shocking, was only when this was announced in court last week, a statement was read from their lawyer the very next day, to say they would pay every penny back.
They won't need it now, as they will get a fortune from the stories and TV interviews, that are anticipated. [/quote]

Doesnt go anywhere faintly near compensating for who they've lost and what they've been through though, does it. Its just incidental.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 22nd Oct 2014 1:20pm
Personally I'm sick of hearing what he has lost and what it has done to his life and future. Let him rot !
Posted By: granny Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 22nd Oct 2014 2:29pm
Originally Posted by venice
Granny

They won't need it now, as they will get a fortune from the stories and TV interviews, that are anticipated. [/quote]

Doesnt go anywhere faintly near compensating for who they've lost and what they've been through though, does it. Its just incidental.
[/quote]

It won't compensate for anything, and who suggested it would? It's much the same point as Rocks made about them taking money from the man who killed their daughter. It sounds as if they will be happy to do interviews etc. which is a great pity so far as I'm concerned. Nothing could even be imagined what they have been through, and I am not happy that you even suggested that I thought otherwise. I find it strange that they would even consider the media request. Would you? I know I wouldn't.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 20th Oct 2015 7:40am
Oscar Pistorius was released from prison in South Africa Monday and placed under house arrest
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 3rd Dec 2015 6:33pm
The appeal court has now found him guilty of murder instead of homicide - back he goes to jail, a place many thought he should be.

SOURCE
Posted By: granny Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 3rd Dec 2015 6:48pm
I feel this is a somewhat cruel move. This should have been decided prior to him being released under house arrest. Coming out after a year and being told you're likely to now go back for 15 yrs or more. He is now adjusting to a different lifestyle, and once again will have to re-adjust.

That is not a humane act imo, and yes, you will all say, Reeva didn't have a choice , and she didn't, but since then the errors have been made by the judicial system.

I think he'll do himself in , if he gets the chance.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 3rd Dec 2015 6:58pm
The original judge clearly made an error in the interpretation of homicide vs murder, this outcome should be no surprise to him.

The release to house arrest was a privilege not a right.

Just wait until you see what happens during sentencing.
Posted By: granny Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 3rd Dec 2015 9:59pm
What do you expect to happen DD ? Do you think he might cry ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 3rd Dec 2015 10:28pm
Whilst there is a 15 year minimum sentence for murder, this can be reduced if a person is disabled.

Oscar Pistorius has shown he is one of the most capable of disabled people - in fact he is more able bodied than many non-disabled people. This could be an interesting battle in court - will he get a discount on the minimum term or not.

I guess it depends if it is the disability itself or the impact of the disability that is looked at in deciding on the discount.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 3rd Dec 2015 10:56pm
[Linked Image] He can move when it comes to his Olimpics.
I know where you are coming from DD.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 3rd Dec 2015 11:28pm
This is wrong, he's already been tried once and convicted of manslaughter.

Once sentenced you can't be sentenced again on the same charge so how has this come about?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 3rd Dec 2015 11:38pm
Even the UK removed the "double jeopardy" rule in 2005, appeal courts can overrule.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 4th Dec 2015 1:05am
Originally Posted by _Ste_

Once sentenced you can't be sentenced again on the same charge so how has this come about?

People get released for miscarriages of justice so why not the other way.
Posted By: casper Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 4th Dec 2015 4:00pm
He wont do the 15, its already being said first offence, disabled and he hasnt exactly been living with the bad guys inside from all accounts, maybe six years then released home arrest,
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 10th Dec 2015 6:09pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

People get released for miscarriages of justice so why not the other way.

Because it's bollocks that's why, he didn't kill her.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 10th Dec 2015 6:24pm
No he didn't kill her, it was the bullets he fired into her body that killed her.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Oscar Pistorius verdict - 10th Dec 2015 6:37pm
Intentionally I meant
© Wirral-Wikiwirral