Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 12:15am
Massive gain for greens in Birkenhead & Tranmere.

Green gain in Prenton.

Conservative gain in Pensby & Thingwall (must be the land of BDSM)

Libdem gain in Oxton (back to where it was traditionally).

Labour gain in Rock Ferry (only because previous Labour Councillor did the dirty).

I think all the rest were holds.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 12:36am
Slightly hung council.
Posted By: granny Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 4:51am

What's BDSM ?
Posted By: svenlock68 Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 6:01am
The people have spoken. Its general election time !!
Posted By: Salmon Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 6:26am
It is rather pathetic that only 34% actually voted, local elections are notoriously poor in that respect and yet have massive impacts on our day to day lives.
Posted By: casper Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 7:36am
Originally Posted by granny

What's BDSM ?

I don't know granny but it sounds naughty. smile
Posted By: casper Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 8:12am
The deputy chair of the Conservative party on the news this morning, their losses are all the fault of not delivering on Brexit,then goes on to say the Labour party should help us in the talks to secure a deal to leave, they must really be desperate, even they have trouble separating local and general elections, I thought I was voting to see who would best represent my interests locally, silly me.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 8:40am
Local elections are usually in the middle of a political term, so they're generally used to send a message to the party in power.

Not by me though, I always vote for who does best locally, and that's the Lib Dems.
Posted By: casper Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 9:18am
Originally Posted by Gibbo
Local elections are usually in the middle of a political term, so they're generally used to send a message to the party in power.

Not by me though, I always vote for who does best locally, and that's the Lib Dems.

Iv'e been monitoring comments on the local media sites and it becomes clear a lot of people mainly the young have very little understanding of the difference, and can't understand that measures taken by Westminster affect local government spending on local issues, or the usual I'am not voting because they are all the same, which does have a ring of truth to it, but things will only change through the vote.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 9:57am
Originally Posted by Gibbo

Or are they just better at communicating what they have done?

I've phoned many Councillors over the years, the most responsive have been Conservative Councillors BUT it has also come apparent that in general the public contact Conservative Councillors much less often than the other main parties, a number of them have been quite excited by someone contacting them.

A number of people use their Councillor as the first point of contact which is wrong, Councillors are NOT the executive, the relevant department should be contacted first eg asb-team, police, one-stop-shop etc.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 10:01am

What's BDSM ?

Sorry, I'm a bit out of date, I should have said 50 shades.
Posted By: granny Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 10:55am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

What's BDSM ?

Sorry, I'm a bit out of date, I should have said 50 shades.

Probably got a lot to do with the 'green belt' issue in the area, and quite rightly so .
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 11:19am
Probably got a lot to do with the 'green belt' issue in the area, and quite rightly so .

But that is driven by National Government and developers, not local Council.

Government set the quota, councils have to set out plan to meet that quota, if a developer has land but states they are not building houses on that land within the timescale then that land cannot be included in the council plan. Every Council has the same problem.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 1:20pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDSM

And I can get all this in Pensby and Thingwall. Why didn't you tell me before DD?
Posted By: granny Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 4:11pm

Secret lives, Moonstar ! wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 5:16pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDSM

And I can get all this in Pensby and Thingwall. Why didn't you tell me before DD?

Just voting Tory is an act of submissive punishment, if that isn't enough then you can go to the dungeon in Union Street.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Local Elections 2019 - 3rd May 2019 9:32pm
I am baffled at how a massive desertion from the pro-brexit tories to the anti-brexit Lib Dems is interpreted by the tory gonks and other talking heads on the telly as an indication that the reason for the desertion was to force the tories to deliver brexit!

It's about as plausible as the £350 million to the NHS, or the invisible border in Northern Ireland, but to fanatical brexiteers who are terrified of their precioussss slipping away from them, I suppose believing this incredible nonsense is easy!
Posted By: granny Re: Local Elections 2019 - 4th May 2019 12:30am

Don't care which camp anyone is from but got to say, the 'red bus' thing has been done to death. It never said £350 million to the NHS... this is what it said :

Attached picture gettyimages-530966130.jpg
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Local Elections 2019 - 4th May 2019 7:09am
Thanks for the correction.

However, my point is that this result implies that the polls have underestimated the swing to Remain. It would appear that the electorate is more prepared to vote for a remain-supporting party than they are to admit to it to a pollster.

How this massive swing is interpreted as a plea for brexit is utterly implausible. Anyone who believes this is bonkers!
Posted By: casper Re: Local Elections 2019 - 4th May 2019 8:18am
Originally Posted by Excoriator
Thanks for the correction.

However, my point is that this result implies that the polls have underestimated the swing to Remain. It would appear that the electorate is more prepared to vote for a remain-supporting party than they are to admit to it to a pollster.

How this massive swing is interpreted as a plea for brexit is utterly implausible. Anyone who believes this is bonkers!

If anything, after this Brexit fiasco is over the whole system of government needs a rethink and a radical change, there are too many in politics with vested interests amongst the liars and cheats and freeloaders from all parties that purport to represent us.
Posted By: granny Re: Local Elections 2019 - 4th May 2019 9:31am

Got to agree with your every word, Casper. Basically we can't believe any one of them. Nearly all the big boys and girls have interests in Europe (or their partner/husbands/wives do) married into other European politicians families. It's like the next European Royal Family. Corbyn is affiliated to South America so shares in the plantations where they're worked to the bone.

I'm just wondering how these European elections will turn out and what benefit. Not being sure how it all works , but why would our MEP's now be looking towards another 5 yrs in European Parliament ? Does anyone else know , because we should be informed on this sort of thing ?

8 million UK residence have not yet registered to vote in the European elections.. The swing towards Brexit will no doubt be clarified on the 23rd May.

IN 2014 : UKIP 24, Labour 20, Cons.19, Greens 3 , SNP 2, Lib Dem 1 .

I think the greatest improvement in politics would be to speak the truth.
Mrs May, after duping us all into believing that a good deal is better than a bad deal and we could leave with a no deal.. only the other day she was questioned about it , (on 1st May) and she clearly said, that we would not be leaving without a deal because her deal is a good deal.. Easy how things can be twisted.
If all sides EU included, stopped playing mind games with us, we might have a bit more faith.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Local Elections 2019 - 4th May 2019 10:50am
I'm down in Devon these days and was at the Polling Station counting votes.
Nationwide there was around 36% turn out. Yes it is always pretty low for local elections but this really needs to change. Yes they all a load of lying cheating b'stds but we can't just lay back and let them get on with it. Much of the area covered by the count is rural but we had 1 ballot box returned with 5 ballot papers in. The population in the village is around 450 - they should be ashamed of themselves.
Again nationwide, many Independents were elected, many of whom seem really keen to help their community.
Let's hope the time for change has arrived
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Local Elections 2019 - 4th May 2019 11:39am
I find low turnout very disappointing. However bad things are, people ought to do something, not just shrug and turn away in despair. At the very least, turn up and vote for the least worst option or spoil the ballot paper to make a point, as there is never a 'none of the above' box to tick, but spoiled papers are counted. if people don't even turn up to vote, how can they complain when things don't go their way?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Local Elections 2019 - 4th May 2019 11:49am
Absolutely.
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: Local Elections 2019 - 4th May 2019 3:41pm
Slightly off topic, but I think still worth mentioning. Why is it OK for the Scots to plan for another Independence referendum ( I think in 2021) - but the UK can't have a second Brexit referendum. Just interested, you know.......
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Local Elections 2019 - 4th May 2019 5:07pm
Originally Posted by oldpm01
Slightly off topic, but I think still worth mentioning. Why is it OK for the Scots to plan for another Independence referendum ( I think in 2021) - but the UK can't have a second Brexit referendum. Just interested, you know.......

Seven years apart is a reasonable length of time. Nothing wrong with another Brexit referendum in 2023 other than hopefully we wouldn't be in the EU anyway.

As we do not have a UK or British constitution, both referendums were only "advisory referendums" (an opinion poll), they were not legally binding.

A second Brexit referendum in the short term would bring all sorts of problems, mainly because if we have a second, why stop there? Surely it should be an odd number of referendums so there would be a decisive result not a possible draw.

If the Scots voted to leave the UK, shouldn't the rest of the UK then be polled to see if we agree to giving some of OUR country away?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Local Elections 2019 - 5th May 2019 3:17pm
Gives me a little hope that usual regular conservative or labour voters have realised they have been let down by their party. The Leave Remain arguement takes on another dimension in that its not just Brexit but UK Government in general...do you want it to "remain" as it is or "leave" it for something new. Roll on the MEP election when we can give the wounded another kicking.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral