Forums
Posted By: thesilentenigma Chutneys. Never again - 26th Nov 2018 5:46pm
https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/17255620.inside-the-dirty-indian-restaurant-in-wallasey/

No handwashing in a restaurant. I feel schick....
Posted By: snowhite Re: Chutneys. Never again - 26th Nov 2018 6:02pm
Yuck that looks disgusting.

Pizza nite is not clean either.
Posted By: casper Re: Chutneys. Never again - 26th Nov 2018 7:01pm
Don't do Indian, this goes back many years's, hygiene is not their strongest point.
Posted By: MisterSmiff Re: Chutneys. Never again - 26th Nov 2018 8:13pm
Originally Posted by snowhite
Pizza nite is not clean either.

Glad I never ventured in there when I lived in Dacre Hill... 'coz it was always cheaper to walk a bit further to the Tesco and get a days' worth of crap food there instead!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chutneys. Never again - 26th Nov 2018 9:27pm
Here's some stats for Wirral food hygene ratings of establishments that have been inspected over the last 12 months

1237 inspections

5 Star 57%
4 Star 32%
3 Star 12%
2 Star 4% (50 establishments)
1 Star 3% (35 establishments)
0 Star 1% (14 establishments)
Exempt 6%
Posted By: granny Re: Chutneys. Never again - 27th Nov 2018 1:13am

How many chances do they get , how many get food poisoning in the meantime and how soon afterwards is another inspection ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chutneys. Never again - 27th Nov 2018 1:58am
The food hygene ratings and closure for public safety aren't directly linked. A 5 star place can get closed and a 0 star can remain open.

The frequency of visits is related to their performance but if a premises wants to be re-examined they have to pay for it, which is £125 for Wirral.

Generally the premises are told what they need to improve for public safety and given a chance, if this advice is not followed that's when they get shut down.

A very low risk premises can have routine inspections as far apart as five years, normal low risk about two years, higher risk six months and higher still risk still right down to days if immediate improvements have been requested and its suspected that the improvements will not be carried out.

Most businesses get some warning of visits but flash visits are supposed to be carried out as well.

Birkenhead's Subway, Grange Road (0 in June) and Wimpy(1 in August) were not forced to close and both improved their standard in days, neither have be re-rated as yet though I'm sure both will have had visits.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Chutneys. Never again - 27th Nov 2018 8:01am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Here's some stats for Wirral food hygene ratings of establishments that have been inspected over the last 12 months

1237 inspections

5 Star 57%
4 Star 32%
3 Star 12%
Exempt 6%

Am I missing something - that adds up to 115%?
Posted By: Norton Re: Chutneys. Never again - 27th Nov 2018 2:11pm
I went about three weeks ago.

Everything seemed cleaner than about 6 months previously. Floors to walls and table to toilets, no sticky handles, dirty push plates or messy taps.
Food and service were good, with no ill effects.

Judging by the timescales quoted before, this must have been post clean-up.

I must admit that a couple of years ago it looked like it needed refurbishment, which it got - just like anywhere does from time to time.

Hopefully it will be 5 stars on the next visit by inspectors, as I don't usually eat anywhere less.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Chutneys. Never again - 27th Nov 2018 8:42pm
You may be improving your immune system by dining there too!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chutneys. Never again - 27th Nov 2018 9:40pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

1237 inspections

5 Star 57%
4 Star 32%
3 Star 12%
Exempt 6%

Am I missing something - that adds up to 115%?

Good spot. I remember I took about 200 establishments out the total for some reason which I blowed if I can remember now and I obviously didn't remember when I did the percentages. I'll blame my tools - senility. Might have been number of establishments as a opposed to number of inspections, I dumped the spread sheet afterwards.

Here's another go then ...

5 Star 50%
4 Star 27%
3 Star 11%
2 Star 3% (50 establishments)
1 Star 2% (35 establishments)
Exempt 6%
Posted By: casper Re: Chutneys. Never again - 6th Dec 2018 9:35am
I see from the news the proprietor has made an apology and has asked that his previous good years service be taken into account, all this has caused great distress to him and his family as well as his customers and in his apology states that this was just a lapse for a few months last year, really, from the pictures supplied the place was disgusting in just a few months never, and the practices of his staff, no hand washing, mixed cooked and uncooked food, poor management and lack of training, no excuse, should have been shut down.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chutneys. Never again - 6th Dec 2018 2:16pm
Originally Posted by casper
I see from the news the proprietor has made an apology and has asked that his previous good years service be taken into account, all this has caused great distress to him and his family as well as his customers and in his apology states that this was just a lapse for a few months last year, really, from the pictures supplied the place was disgusting in just a few months never, and the practices of his staff, no hand washing, mixed cooked and uncooked food, poor management and lack of training, no excuse, should have been shut down.

Totally agree, there is a big difference between being a bit lax and creating the mess that this place was in.

Also note that many of the matters were raised in the previous inspection and ignored which is completely at odds to the proprietor's statement.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chutneys. Never again - 14th Dec 2018 2:41am
Chutneys has now been retested and awarded 4 stars.
Posted By: casper Re: Chutneys. Never again - 14th Dec 2018 9:31am
I see he has put a link on social media, like Chutneys, people are congratulating him for gaining 4 stars, perhaps its me but are people really so gullible, well done for doing what? cleaning up a filthy restaurant that should never have gotten into that state in the first place, and if he can't get 5 stars after his retesting, that must say something.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chutneys. Never again - 14th Dec 2018 5:54pm
Yes, he is still stating that he had a busy Sunday and the inspection was the day after as though it was a one day issue - totally ignoring the report that problems had continued over the period since the previous inspection.

The main failings weren't cleanliness, hygiene nor condition which were all rated as "improvement necessary", the failing was Management of food safety which was rated as "Major improvement necessary", management isn't a one day issue.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral