Forums
Posted By: Waddi BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 10:33pm
how many miles are beemers good for, say for instance a T reg on 120K, is this OK or would you advise to stay clear.

thanks
Posted By: jonah Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 10:34pm
ru thinkin of gettin one with ths kinda mileage mate ?
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 10:39pm
hmm... id stay clear mate...unless its had alot of work and receipts to show it...
Posted By: Waddi Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 10:40pm
sort of mate, As most people are aware I am tired of the astra, its really not big enough for my family, but I dont want a people carrier. Always liked the 3 series, so just browsing at the mo.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 10:41pm
Petrol or diesel?

Beemers, like any engines, are good for as long as they are looked after (within reason, I wouldnt say go past 180,000 miles for a petrol lol)

You can buy a screwed up engine that has only done 45,000 miles for instance, simply because the owner has never looked after it, its been a dodgy one from the start, or its been ragged.

My old Pug had 163,000 on the clock when I sold it - the engine itself was an absolute dream - granted the clutch wasnt the best ever, probably only had a year left in it, but the engine itself was a lovely drive.

As the mileage goes higher, its the car around the engine that tends to wear, so long as the engine has been looked after. Take it for a test drive, look for service history, if the engine feels nice and runs smooth, check the ancillary components, the clutch, the bodywork etc...

I think Joe and Stuy will be able to offer more direct advice with regards BMW engines, mine is very general.

smile
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 10:42pm
will warn you..the 3 series isnt big on the inside!!
Posted By: jonah Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 10:42pm
cant see the mileage being a prob as long as its been looked after, i'd want a comprehensive history, cos if anything goes wrong it could be expensive on a bm, best person to talk to i would say would be... young sailor Joe.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 10:52pm
As already said, stay clear unless it has FSH.

As Matty said, things around the engine tend to go before the engine does itself and the cost of parts and replacing them are quite expensive, so bare that in mind.

what series you looking at?
Posted By: jonah Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 10:54pm
Originally Posted by Auditastic
will warn you..the 3 series isnt big on the inside!!
another good point, saloons never seem to be any good for young families with small children , they're hard to get stuff in/out the boot...
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:11pm
excuse me! sod the 4 cylinder ones, they are the letdowns wink
let that be a lesson to you smile
i`ve had plenty of bmw`s and the 4 cylinder ones are not reliable, but hey, like any car, if you want it and are prepared to spend the money on it you get it smile
the 3 series is a nice car, but if you do get one thats been "hammered", you will notice in the test drive wink
As joe says, service history is a must or the cars not worth looking at smile
Personally, i would leave the 4 cylinder models alone smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:13pm
exuse me for my ignorance, but which ones are 4 cylinder?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:14pm
Originally Posted by Totopop
Personally, i would leave the 4 cylinder models alone smile

I agree (as I friggin own one lol)

I think im right in saying, 316 and 318 are generally 4 cyl (some 318 are 6 cyl)
Posted By: MattLFC Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:14pm
non v6 lol.

usually less the 2.5L, Jow will clear it up though?

smile
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:15pm
have a look at the audi a4 avant diesels..those engines are bulletproof...i know im a fan of audi..but it will give you the room your wanting..without being an mpv...
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:20pm
Originally Posted by Auditastic
have a look at the audi a4 avant diesels..those engines are bulletproof...i know im a fan of audi..but it will give you the room your wanting..without being an mpv...

Yeah, nice cars, more room than the beemer 3 too, i had an Audi 80 2.6 v6 for 2 years, never had a problem with it, only thing i replaced were new brakes all round (discs and pads) which only cost me 350 as i fitted them myself.

Ultra relible, got rid when it hit 198k and was sad to see it go frown

Bmw 3 4 cylinder came in 1.6, 1.8, 1.9 (Ti)
Posted By: Waddi Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:22pm
Audi A4 advent is lush and was 1st on the list but I dont have that many benjimans. thats why I was looking at the older beemers.
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:28pm
look at the older a4s....pre 2001 shape change...
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:29pm
the other engines came in 6 cylinder (straight 6) 2.0, 2.3, 2.5, 2.8, 3.0, 3.3 (M3 Evo)
Posted By: Waddi Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:29pm
like this one
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:30pm
exactly!
Posted By: chriskay Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:34pm
Consider the Volvo; 850 like mine or the later V/S 70. The 5 cylinder engines are bombproof & they're going for silly money at present. Also, if you go for a T5 like mine, the performance is pretty brisk. To give you an idea, you could buy an 850 for well under £1000 & a T5 for not much over that.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:37pm
or the T4, they kick ass too but don`t look as pretty smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:46pm
Dont know how this is gonna come across, as nice as the Volvo is and the speed is very tempting, 2 years ago at the age of 23 when I was getting married and my 1st baby was due, all my mates were winding me up about me settling down as a family man and said I would be buying a Volvo next, so dont really want to add fuel to the fire.
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: BMW milage - 4th Nov 2007 11:54pm
minor problem with the t5 is the fuel consumption...like you said chris..it cost you 20 quid to come visit us!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: BMW milage - 5th Nov 2007 12:39am
if you get an M they have unlimited milage warrentie s !
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMW milage - 5th Nov 2007 9:08am
BMWs are good for a million miles if they have been looked after. FSH is a must...

Go for a 6 Cylinder - these are much betetr engines, the 4 pots are underpowered and dont last.

Ive had an E30 which was on 240k miles and the inside / chassis / body and engine where all good when I sold it - it was even on its original exhaust!!!

Ive had the 325tds which was on 130k miles and felt like new, and the 330 is on 90k and feels like new.

Wouldnt worry about a high miler, as long as its a 6 pot, and its been looked after smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: BMW milage - 5th Nov 2007 10:05am
Nice lookin motor
Posted By: StuyMac Re: BMW milage - 5th Nov 2007 10:58am
The new 320d is the only 4 cylinder one Id consider...

320 Petrols are 6 pots (And a 2.2), but the 320 diesel is a 4 cylinder.
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: BMW milage - 5th Nov 2007 4:43pm
me mates just bought one the engines fine but the water pump went then the pipes were leaking and now the radiators on its way out.
Posted By: chriskay Re: BMW milage - 6th Nov 2007 5:09pm
Originally Posted by The_WadFather
Dont know how this is gonna come across, as nice as the Volvo is and the speed is very tempting, 2 years ago at the age of 23 when I was getting married and my 1st baby was due, all my mates were winding me up about me settling down as a family man and said I would be buying a Volvo next, so dont really want to add fuel to the fire.

LOL, Got the message. Anyway, it's more fun to wait till you retire to buy a 160MPH car. (& yes, it is thirsty).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BMW milage - 6th Nov 2007 5:24pm
Depends what age the car is, the newer 4 pot 2.0 litres are excellent engines.
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: BMW milage - 6th Nov 2007 6:39pm
hmmm....its the interiors that let the beemers down....cracking "drivers" cars...bt the switch gear is just.....lacking imho!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BMW milage - 8th Nov 2007 12:11am
again, depends what you are looking at.

the saloon es models are basic - look pretty turd to be honest.

the later coupes which were only in se or sport spec were a lot beter.
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: BMW milage - 8th Nov 2007 5:41pm
Originally Posted by Alex85
again, depends what you are looking at.

the saloon es models are basic - look pretty turd to be honest.

the later coupes which were only in se or sport spec were a lot beter.

yes...you get what you pay for!
Posted By: Waddi I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 8:58pm
Looking for an estate that has a presence on the road, if you know what I mean, i.e not an astra estate or mondeo estate etc.

Options I have looked at:

2002 52 Reg ALFA ROMEO 156 1.6 TS Turismo

5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Petrol, 63,000 miles, Grey. Service History, Climate Control, Air conditioning, CD, ABS, Velour Interior, Colour coding - Body, Colour coding - Interior, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, Central locking, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Head restraints, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Metallic paintwork, Multi function steering wheel, Power assisted steering, Tinted glass £4295

Attached picture alfa1.jpg
Attached picture alfa2.jpg
Attached picture alfa3.jpg
Attached picture alfa4.jpg
Posted By: Waddi Re: I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 9:02pm
2002 02 Reg AUDI A4 1.8T 163 SE

Manual 5 speed, Estate, Petrol, Finished In A Light Burgundy Metallic With Auto Climate, Cruise & Traction Control, CD Player, Electric Sunroof, Twin Pipe Exhausts, 16" AUDI Alloys, Drivers Information System, Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Chrome Roof Rails, Centre Armrest, Rear Load Cover, Nokia Phone Kit, Full Electric Pack, Front Fogs & Usual Top SE TURBO Spec, 1 Owner From New With FULL AUDI SERVICE HISTORY

Attached picture audi1.jpg
Attached picture audi2.jpg
Attached picture audi3.jpg
Posted By: Waddi Re: I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 9:08pm
2002 02 Reg BMW 3 SERIES 320d SE 5dr Diesel Touring 150BHP

5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Diesel, 160,000 miles, Metallic GREEN. ABS, Adjustable seats, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Head restraints, Immobiliser, Park distance control, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Roof rails, Radio/Cassette, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Traction control, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Anti theft system, CD Multichanger, Climate Control, Cruise control, Multi function steering wheel. Insurance Group:13, 150 Brakehorse, Long MOT, Sports Cloth Interior, Rear Loadliners, Company Owner Car All Motoway Miles, Full BMW Service History With Fully Stamped Book And All BMW Reciepts, 3 Keys, This Car Is Absolutely A1 Allround And Has Superb Bills And Service History, Looks And Drives Like Thirty Thousand Miles.1st too see will definetly buy.PX POSS £4,995 ono

Attached picture bmw1.jpg
Attached picture bmw2.jpg
Posted By: Waddi Re: I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 9:09pm
all three are up for £4995
Posted By: chriskay Re: I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 9:38pm
My Volvo 855 T5 is now up for sale at £1995
Posted By: MattLFC Re: I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 9:43pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

I know someone who will be interested in that wink
Posted By: Waddi Re: I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 10:06pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

too thirsty sorry
Posted By: MattLFC Re: I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 10:08pm
Here we go Waddi:

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=185666#Post185666
Posted By: Waddi Re: I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 10:10pm
I saw that Matty, and came back and edited.
Posted By: Waddi Re: I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 10:41pm
Which would you choose?
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 11:03pm
mate the alfa estate looks hideous - beemer or audi for sure, both pretty close knit as far as pros and cons... for me it would be the audi tho (marginally)
Posted By: Waddi Re: I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 11:55pm
you should be able to tell by now that I like unusual looking cars like the PT cruiser and the ALFA estate,
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: I still want a new car........ - 19th Nov 2007 11:59pm
i'd go with the audi

do you know what the mileage is on it?
Posted By: Pomp Re: I still want a new car........ - 20th Nov 2007 2:39am
Alfa! go with it. I think it looks alrite and its different to your normal day one.
u dont see that many out ther
Posted By: BMW_Sparkie Re: I still want a new car........ - 20th Nov 2007 6:35am
Personaly i'd go for the Audi, nice big motor.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: I still want a new car........ - 20th Nov 2007 8:22am
Alfa will fall to pieces and break down every 5 mins, but they are so nice to look at and drive. I say the Alfa.
Posted By: CustomIce Re: I still want a new car........ - 20th Nov 2007 1:28pm
Go for a Toyota Caldina if it has to be an estate. Celica GT4 running gear and engine (depending on which caldina you go for)
Posted By: Wheels Re: I still want a new car........ - 20th Nov 2007 11:38pm
the quest continues

I just bought myself a 2L run around tease
Posted By: Pomp Re: I still want a new car........ - 23rd Nov 2007 9:02pm
What about the Toyota Carolla VVT-i T3? £3,995 on autotrader.

Image1
Image2
Image3
Image4
Image5
Posted By: Waddi Re: I still want a new car........ - 23rd Nov 2007 11:39pm
thats very nice that pomp, do you have the link to the advert. ta.

Posted By: MattLFC Re: I still want a new car........ - 24th Nov 2007 1:03am
Thats nice that Pomp, a link would have been handy though lmao!
Posted By: Pomp Re: I still want a new car........ - 24th Nov 2007 1:13am
Originally Posted by The_WadFather
thats very nice that pomp, do you have the link to the advert. ta.

Click Me

Hmmm that didnt work out (tried to direct link it), well its the second one. Jst look for the price £3,995. (Broughton Car Centre)

Its 13miles away from mine so thats not too bad.
Posted By: Waddi Re: I still want a new car........ - 24th Nov 2007 1:51am
was looking at this
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I still want a new car........ - 6th Dec 2007 6:58pm
I like the Audi looks wise, but the BMW is going to be the better car.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral