Forums
Posted By: Tombraider Personal Details : Data Protection - 1st Jan 2012 10:07pm
Wasnt sure if i should put the heading as Internet or website.
The question is,
Is it against the Law to give out personal details on a website without that persons permission.
Any help or advive would be gratefull thanks.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 1st Jan 2012 10:40pm
That would depend on what exactly those details were, can you elaborate?
Posted By: dave_h Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 1st Jan 2012 10:43pm
fookbook by any chance?
Posted By: Salmon Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 1st Jan 2012 10:45pm
I think it is at least ill advised if not totally illegal but as ASE71 says it may depend on the actual details. Personally I don't ever forward emails without removing the senders and any other email addresses. Too easy with that little bit of info to cause a nuisance.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 1st Jan 2012 10:53pm
No this isnt emails its a persons address and tel number.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 1st Jan 2012 11:07pm
Originally Posted by Tombraider
No this isnt emails its a persons address and tel number.

There is no law to say you can't print someone's name and address anywhere , per say, unless you are bound by the data protection act 1998 to keep these details private.

But its how these details are used and the intent for which they are provided that can lead to the initial disclosure being illegal.

spill the beans...... smile
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 1st Jan 2012 11:17pm
Thankyou ASE71 for your advise,
will follow that upx
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 1st Jan 2012 11:57pm
Post the details on the internet and there there for everyone to see!!?

Thats the way, i see it!

Happy New Year x
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 12:00am
It's not. Telephone number/Address are things that can be found online anyway, they aren't privledged information.

There's a couple of exceptions, things like credit card numbers for example.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 12:06am
Originally Posted by ex0__
It's not. Telephone number/Address are things that can be found online anyway, they aren't privledged information.

good point.
but for example say i put your address and number on a website and you werent happy about it.
what steps would you take?
Happy new year by the way.

Posted By: reddragon Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 12:08am
legal ones due to not obtaining my permission
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 12:12am
Exactly!! If I Roberta Willis decided to post my phone number and other personal details on here or elsewhere on the internet, then i dont suppose i could winge about it.
if other people, google me Roberta Willis, ibet my address and phone number would show up toi!! its just how the internet works!!
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 12:12am

There is a huge difference between people looking for information stored on the internet or maliciously posting the information to the internet with the intent on causing the named person a problem, a HUGE difference.......
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 12:21am
Thanks so much for Advice ASE71.
I have now been advised this is now been removed!
Happy new year and all the best for 2012 x
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 12:24am
I would like to think that the majority of people just ignore phone niumber details! unless they were looking for them, specifically.
We are digressing...
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 12:27am
Ill Elaborate....

Everyone knows the prime ministers address right??

If I post on a forum........ "The prime minister lives at 10 Downing Street, London SW1A 2AA " Then that's just a fact, the info is already on the internet.......

But if I post..... " Everyone should parcel up dog sh*t and post to the prime minister at 10 Downing St ............." Then that would be seen as illegal, its not the disclosure of the address but the act being incited by providing it....

DISCLAIMER - THE ABOVE IS ONLY USED AS AN EXAMPLE ONLY, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAVID CAMERON GETTING 2LB OF GERMAN SHEPHERD POO THROUGH HIS LETTERBOX....... DONT DO IT.

Posted By: ex0__ Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 12:56am
That would be a threat, the information provided is immaterial.

You could take someone to the small claims court and claim harrasment or something similar, but it's not illegal to post address information online. In the same way it's not illegal to post a picture of someone online. Most website owners would remove information if asked because most are gutless, but there's nothing illegal about it.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 12:56am
And I can't believe you put a disclaimer on that. Couldn't be lamer if you tried.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 1:01am
Damn, I'd already parcelled it up and put it in the letter box before I got to the end.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 1:07am
Spot on it goes under harrassment.
All being sorted now.so thankyou to the ones who have been helpfull.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 2nd Jan 2012 1:08am
And I can't believe you put a disclaimer on that. Couldn't be lamer if you tried.

Was supposed to be funny..... You had a sense of humour failure?

LOL
Posted By: dave_h Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 3rd Jan 2012 12:44am
Originally Posted by ASE71

Was supposed to be funny..... You had a sense of humour failure?

LOL

dont think it was ever there, always has to put a downer on it
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 3rd Jan 2012 1:39am
Posting dog poo to No. 10 is valid depending on who's in charge at the time as far as I can see. If the PM is doing a sh*t job-he deserves sh*t from us!!
Posted By: Mark Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 10th Jan 2012 9:10pm
Back on topic please.
Posted By: Clive Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 11th Jan 2012 9:31am
TR your address and phone number and pics of inside of your house are on the net allready, you put them there, so it is freely available to any one that wants it.
You can not put this info on net then complain about it.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 11th Jan 2012 9:44am
Thats because they have the permission to do so by me.
Its getting removed.
what about mobile numbers?
or a member of the public giving out emails without permission.
Anyway as i said, i have this being sorted out very carefully!
i did have my emails hacked and i sorted that out quick.
Virgin media is very good when it comes to internet advice!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 11th Jan 2012 9:54am
The data protection act covers how companies that hold your information do so on your behalf.

There's nothing I could post about you or you could post about me that falls under that act. It's perfectly legal, if annoying. Emails and phone numbers are not any sort of privleged or private information, they can be found freely online.
Posted By: rocks Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 11th Jan 2012 9:57am
you'd be surprised what information people put on the internet about themselves by THEM as they post drivel, its all footprints!!
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 11th Jan 2012 10:01am
The data protection act covers how companies that hold your information do so on your behalf.

There's nothing I could post about you or you could post about me that falls under that act. It's perfectly legal, if annoying. Emails and phone numbers are not any sort of privleged or private information, they can be found freely online.
Thanks for this information and sensible response.
Anyway its being all sorted now thanks.
Posted By: micsey Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 11th Jan 2012 10:04am
keep of facebook,dont give your details to post code queens in the street,fookin club card shite,dont have one never will stop doing mad surveys for shit prizes,never ever ever give your post code to anyone in the street as they no your out of your house,these people are only after one thing only your details to sell one,workers for every company in the world are selling your details,people take shit jobs at these places to usb your details from the servers mad i thought you all would no this
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 11th Jan 2012 10:14am
Thanks for this info as well Micsey.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 11th Jan 2012 10:32am
Originally Posted by micsey
people take shit jobs at these places to usb your details from the servers

That's kinda cool, never heard of this happening before. You can buy full ID details online for like a buck a person and email lists you can get thousands for less than a dollar. Seems a lot of trouble to spend time getting a job and hoping for shit security on servers just to leech a few thousand customer details.
Posted By: micsey Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 11th Jan 2012 10:58am
it goes on in all the the top places,sky,virgin,all the mobile companies,there looking at your data now,so all the people who get a phone call or email,tell them nothing they will pull your pants down and smack you rock hard,at the mo everyone is having everyone over,i use an unregistered sim and dont give any details to anyone,i no we have to with certain things thats just life,have you got a club card sir? no i would not have one full to the brim with points? why not sir? why because you then no all about me!!!!!!
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 11th Jan 2012 1:01pm
Originally Posted by micsey
it goes on in all the the top places,sky,virgin,all the mobile companies,there looking at your data now,so all the people who get a phone call or email,tell them nothing they will pull your pants down and smack you rock hard,at the mo everyone is having everyone over,i use an unregistered sim and dont give any details to anyone,i no we have to with certain things thats just life,have you got a club card sir? no i would not have one full to the brim with points? why not sir? why because you then no all about me!!!!!!
your really great for this info, a positve attutude for a change.as some others have on here.
thanks you been most helpfull.
I will make sure no one smacks me in the ass this time laugh it will be dealt with as i said, any more info like this i would love.
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 11th Jan 2012 3:30pm
your really great for this info, a positve attutude for a change.as some others have on here.

Sorry, that's a positive attitude to you? o.O
It's just paranoia to me, get an email you don't like? Delete it. Get a phone call you don't like? Block the number. No one's more likely to rob your house just because they know the post code.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 13th Jan 2012 12:46am
Most of what micsey has said is twaddle! No one can take money out of your bank just because they have your account number, you have a clubcard and collect points, Tesco are cheaper than most places and you get cashback with the points, so what of they know which brand of toilet roll you use! Is that going to make you more vunerable? I seriously doubt it! USB the customer details off the server, goive me a break. Which brand of tin foil is your hat made from micsey? Hang on, I'll check your clubcard records...........
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 13th Jan 2012 12:50am
No if read back this is putting a name and mobile number on a forum without permission.
is it or not allowed
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 13th Jan 2012 12:57am
Definitive answer, if you put your details on a website for the public to view such as, my number is 0151 555 5558 and my email address is [email protected] and somebody else copied them to another website then that is perfectly legal and you have absolutely no comback whatsoever. You put the information in the public domain. If you give your details to a company, say British Gas, and they put them on their website then you would have a case against them for breaching the date protection act.
Does that answer your question?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 13th Jan 2012 1:10am
Google is scarely honest! Type in a name and then quite often full addresses including postcode, home phone numbers and email addresses show up!! Also, by amusing default- sometimes there is funny reading! grin
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 13th Jan 2012 1:15am
eh just close this as i have sorted this out exo and others have gave me great advice thankyou so much.
i need to know what advice.
all sorted
not unless you want to share with all wiki members what you know about phone numbers and emails its all yours feel free?
this will be good thumbsup
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 13th Jan 2012 2:16am
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
Definitive answer, if you put your details on a website for the public to view such as, my number is 0151 555 5558 and my email address is [email protected] and somebody else copied them to another website then that is perfectly legal and you have absolutely no comback whatsoever. You put the information in the public domain. If you give your details to a company, say British Gas, and they put them on their website then you would have a case against them for breaching the date protection act.
Does that answer your question?
Do you still live in a well balanced house for well balanced people, in an up and coming area though?
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 13th Jan 2012 9:11am

not unless you want to share with all wiki members what you know about phone numbers and emails its all yours feel free?
this will be good thumbsup

He did share what he knows, he answered your question directly, to which you replied 'eh'.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 17th Jan 2012 5:09pm
Originally Posted by AngiePie
stuff

Are you the AngiePie from Ebaums or are you just stealing her avatar?
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Personal Details : Data Protection - 17th Jan 2012 5:15pm
That's good, I thought I was going to have to drop all your dox just to prove a point.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral