Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Allotment Moan - 13th Oct 2015 6:59pm
Nice to find out that Wirral Council have just hiked their allotment rents from £35 to £52 a year. --near enough 50% increase.

Half price if your a pensioner though.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Allotment Moan - 13th Oct 2015 7:13pm
Does that off-set the savings of growing your own?

My Grandad had an allotment in Hoylake for many years. Home grown tastes so much better.
A friend of mine grows herbs, veg, tomatoes and the like in her backyard.

Keep meaning to give it a go.....
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Allotment Moan - 13th Oct 2015 9:08pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
Nice to find out that Wirral Council have just hiked their allotment rents from £35 to £52 a year. --near enough 50% increase.

Massive waiting lists for many allotments, loads of people renting them and not using them so hopefully the increase will reduce this. I'm sure officials are supposed to check that allotments are being maintained but this doesn't seem to happen.

£1 a week doesn't seem untoward?
Posted By: starakita Re: Allotment Moan - 13th Oct 2015 9:10pm
Neighbour over the road from me has an allotment,he's just given me some leeks but I've had other stuff as he hates waste & it does taste better & he doesn't use chemicals on his stuff
Posted By: Mark Re: Allotment Moan - 13th Oct 2015 9:12pm
Originally Posted by fish5133

Half price if your a pensioner though.

An older person told me smile

Wirral Passport is £2 a year Happy days.

No idea where you get the wirral passport from sorry
Posted By: j_demo Re: Allotment Moan - 13th Oct 2015 9:27pm
£52 a gear, £1 a week... doesn't sound bad to me to be honest.
Posted By: Giggler Re: Allotment Moan - 13th Oct 2015 9:49pm
Doesn`t mention allotments.

https://www.wirral.gov.uk/leisure-parks-and-events/leisure-centres/wirral-passport-scheme

Just spotted this.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/allotment_costs_261
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Allotment Moan - 13th Oct 2015 10:20pm

Passport scheme has changed completely since that FOI. Many people are not eligible to apply for a Wirral passport.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Allotment Moan - 14th Oct 2015 5:38pm
Originally Posted by j_demo
£52 a gear, £1 a week... doesn't sound bad to me to be honest.

Its not bad--just a shock to get a 50% increase without warning.

Will get kids to pay for it as xmas present!

Food does taste pretty good especially sweetcorn. There is a waiting list but the small allotment i am on only has 12 plots and only 2 of us using them--the others gave up as it does take a lot of effort to start with and then maintenance.Problem was its only been open 5 years and in a very bad state and no easy vehicle access and a 250m walk to furthest plot.Plots either side are not cared for and weeds blow in. Quite rewarding if you can make the time.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral