Forums
Posted By: Figurehead Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 19th Jun 2012 9:30pm
The bin men are currewntly ignoring anyone who has a second bin.
If you have 2 bins and put them out, chances are you are only going to get one emptied.
If you ask why to your local bin man you'll get various reasons but the general one is they are no longer aloowed to by the council. Maybe they have decided the money they will save on not collecting a 2nd bin will outway the money spent cleaning up the fly tipping they will generate this summer. Then again the days when the bin men cleaned up anything they spilled are well gone.
Their are people out they who need two bins through having disabled members of there household etc who are now being put through the ringer by these idiots who are elected to serve them.
Remember you Tips come christmas.., oh and get some fly spray

but as usual no one tells you anything till it is in force
Posted By: Madge Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 19th Jun 2012 10:12pm
Originally Posted by Figurehead
Then again the days when the bin men cleaned up anything they spilled are well gone.
Their are people out they who need two bins through having disabled members of there household etc who are now being put through the ringer by these idiots who are elected to serve them.
Remember you Tips come christmas.., oh and get some fly spray

well said binmen make so much mess, remember when binmen actually picked up a bin on their shoulders, heaven forbid they had to stoop to clean their mess,
Posted By: Colgo Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 19th Jun 2012 11:49pm
We have 2 green bins. We received a hand delivered letter in early April with a form to fill in and post back before 11 May to authorize the second bin.We have since had both bins emptied with no problems...

Streetscene
well lets see what percentage you fall into coz like i say i know people with handicaped children who have been on a list for having two bins and have suddenly been getting one bin left empty. So unless you work for the council or bifa you've been blessed with a big magic f***off wand and should be thinking about tonights lottery
Posted By: casper Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 20th Jun 2012 6:48am
I think we are pretty lucky with the bin service on Wirral, in lots of other places they wont empty your bin if the lid is not closed properly, if it is too heavy, not placed with handle facing the right way etc,and its not the binmens fault blame those that give the instructions.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 20th Jun 2012 7:27am
We got a letter a few weeks ago suggesting we were leaving 2 bins out.

Next door to us is a lane with a bungalow down there, so their bin and our bin are together on bin day. Its easy to see how it may have been misunderstood that we had 2 bins, but its also very easy to see who owned the 2 bins.

...id love to know what jobsworth they pay to spot these things....

A quick call to the council however, and it was all cleared up, with the woman on the other end of the phone not really understanding why this had been flagged and why the person who spotted it and raised the possible issue hadnt used their common sense and reasoned it all out.
not supposed to empty a bin if the lids arent sut and also bins should be on the edge of the curb wth handles facing outwoods
Dems Da Rules

except over christmas when they'll come and get it for you
Posted By: Tatey Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 20th Jun 2012 7:41am
We must be lucky here in New Brighton, as the house next door to me has two bins that are always emptied. One day a week we have the brush truck that sweeps up the gutters & after the bins are emptied, there is a man who comes round & picks up any litter in the road.
It looks like this new rule has come into play starting this week so for those of you who are not due to have your green bins emptied until next week, this is when you will see this rule start for you and your area.
Casper, these things do happen in Wirral, it solely depends on the mood and attitude of the bin men, some are lenient and empty your bin regardless, some are harsh and will issue you with a warning sticker on your unemptied bin.
Over the course of the 2 weeks biffa's "green bin crew" start at one end of the Wirral and over a 2 week period make their way too another so we are all talking about and share the same bin men.
Posted By: ynwa96 Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 20th Jun 2012 11:22am
I was wondering why they hadn't emptied mine? I've just moved into my address and there was two bins already there so I've filled them because I was decorating. The first time was a month ago and I thought because of the bank holiday that I had missed the correct day but they were both ignored Monday just gone as well. Think it's time to phone the council! confused
Think youll find New Brighton will get hit this friday
the number for streetscene (The hip name for the council) is 0151 608 2004
good look if you can even get through tho

otherwise why not give Biffa a ring 0151 343 3720/3700
Posted By: ynwa96 Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 20th Jun 2012 1:14pm
I rang the council, and they told me that because I've got two bins that are full, I might have to empty one into a big bin bag and leave it next to the other full bin on collection day? My response to this was, "This will be harder for the binmen to handle and get into the bin wagon than two full bins". They then told me that because of their new "two bin policy" they couldn't empty two bins for my address?
smack
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 20th Jun 2012 1:53pm
I wonder if Biffa signed a contract with the council for one bin per household, thinking about it, if thousands of households put out extra bins, that's an awful lot of work Biffa are not getting paid for, what other businesses would do extra work free of charge.
its not extra work tho, Biffa would have submitted a price they could do the work in order to get the contract. The based this on what Onyx used to do the same bins for and onyx done the same thing based on what UK Waste used to do the same amount of bins for before them
These so caleed extra bins have generally always been there and would have been encorporated in their plans in the first place
the only thing thats changed is the introduction of recycling and fortnightly collections
On the plus side you are allowed more than one grey which also shoots down your theory bert1, sorry
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 20th Jun 2012 2:22pm
I can't see any bin collecting service signing a contract that would in effect give a council a free hand on the amount of bins collected or rubbish removed, type or quantity.
Hypothetically speaking, all households on the Wirral could put 2 bins out and double the workload and nothing would be said by the collection company, very bad management if they have signed that sort of contract.
Originally Posted by Figurehead
the number for streetscene (The hip name for the council) is 0151 608 2004
good look if you can even get through tho

otherwise why not give Biffa a ring 0151 343 3720/3700

No wonder you can't get through, the number for Streetscene is 0151 606 2004 and they are normally pretty good.
both Onxy and Biffa have been in partnership with the council on their contracts so its probably a case of we say jump and Biffa how high. When we had all that snow the xmas before last the council promissed they'd put all the wagons out to clear up the back log. But when i spoke to a mate in Bifa he told me they could only put out so many wagons because the council had told them (a weight issue thing) and then the same council shut the tip early so them extra days of collection turned into ahalf a day.
Sorry bout the wrong number, fat thumbs etc etc
What about grey recycling bins. We have two and where emptied was week. Does it apply to grey as well or just green bins.
Same thing happened to me today..however we did get a letter a few weeks ago stating they would stop wc/ 18th June. They said an audit of bins had taken place. I rang explaining the reason i put two out is because my brown bin was stolen last year, and when i reported it and was told i had too pay £30 for a replacement i said i wouldn't pay but would put out 2 green ones, for for domestic waste and 1 for garden. They accepted that!! When i got the letter 2 weeks ago i rang the council and explained my situation the council agreed they would swap my spare green for a brown and it would be done on my next collection day which is today. I left out both bins, they emptied the garden waste and left the domestic waste!! and left no brown bin!! So now im left with a full bin of food waste for another 2 weeks.
I was also told if you have 5 adults, children under 5 or a disabled person in the household then 2 green bins would be collected.
Originally Posted by Sandra43
What about grey recycling bins. We have two and where emptied was week. Does it apply to grey as well or just green bins.

yes two greys are allowed
So a household with 2 adults and 4 kids can only have 1 green bin but a single parent of a disabled child can have 2?? i dont see the logic.
Since when has council and logic hung round together
Posted By: pegsgirl Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 21st Jun 2012 11:25am
I agree no logic at all. Any family with children should have 2 green bins. I don't get why they will empty 2 grey ones! !
Its the general waste that causes flies maggots and smells
Posted By: scoops Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 21st Jun 2012 6:40pm
Originally Posted by pegsgirl
I don't get why they will empty 2 grey ones! !
Its the general waste that causes flies maggots and smells

The green bins go to landfill and they can be fined by the EU if they go over their quota. They don't care about the hygiene issues. The grey bins go to the recycling plant and it's a money making exercise. Everything they recycle gets sold cardboard, paper, plastic and especially cans.
Pretty obvious now isn't it? They'll empty as many grey bins as you want because the more they get the more money they make.
If you ever wonder why the council does things just follow the money wink
Hi scoops, so where does garden waste go?? As my garden waste was collected with the green bins this week and all tipped in together.
Posted By: scoops Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 21st Jun 2012 7:42pm
Garden waste is supposed to be spread out in a field to turn into compost. It's called windrow composting and it's also the reason why you can't put kitchen waste such as veg peel into your brown bin. Anything that could have come into contact with animal products is not allowed to be used for windrow composting.
Dumping it into the wagon with landfill is them screwing things up wink
i used to work in bidston recycle centre and scoops i think you'll find green bins go there too!!!your right when you say about the contents of grey bins getting seperated there but it is all mixed in with the green bins,that is why i have never understood why you can get fined for putting household waste in a grey bin!!!in the recycle centre you have a glass room,a cardboard room,a plastic room.not all green bins go there but a big majority do!!!its a horrible job there,weve found dead dogs,cats,human pooh and alot more that you couldnt imagine!!!
Posted By: scoops Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 21st Jun 2012 8:30pm
The green bins aren't supposed to go there I think it might be a case of drivers pulling a skive. I know what you mean about the disgusting things that come through on the belts. Used catheters and syringes are the least of it wink Funniest thing was a 12 inch dildo, I'm pretty sure they don't count as recyclable.
haha yeah needles were always a bit of a problem!!!sad thing was you knew what days you were more likely to get more needles by the area that the bins had been collected!!!did have a good laugh workin there tho,great bunch of lads.
Posted By: Katryn Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 30th Jun 2012 2:29pm
we put our 2 bins out to only have 1 emptied just recently so it will go out this week as due and hopefully they will empty it along with the other.
Posted By: MFranks Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 10th Jul 2012 2:39pm
They should allow 2 bins because you get larger households where 1 bin isn't enough to last 2 weeks, I certainly know with my wife and 2 house mates we fill the 1 bin up often before the collection date.
Posted By: fieldsy Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 21st Aug 2012 4:34pm
they send one truck down my road just to empty one brown bin four men one truck ,money well spent,if you put two bins out and there isnt any numbers on them they have got to empty them if they dont just phone them and tell them they havnt emptied your bin and they will send a truck back for it.try it
Posted By: fieldsy Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 21st Aug 2012 4:38pm
take your house number of your bins if you have two ,just have a little mark so you know there yours ,if they only empty one phone them up and they will send a truck back to empty it.oh yeah hide your other bin .their not as thick as you think
you crafty beggar fieldsy
Posted By: AdamS Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 22nd Aug 2012 12:00pm
Yes, because it's not like people from the council can read this forum in their lunchbreak and already be aware of most of the tricks people try....hold on a moment, that's exactly what I'm doing! ;p
Originally Posted by AdamS
Yes, because it's not like people from the council can read this forum in their lunchbreak and already be aware of most of the tricks people try....hold on a moment, that's exactly what I'm doing! ;p

"The tricks people try?" They're trying to get their bins emptied, Mr. F. Jobsworth.
somad
Posted By: dave_h Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 22nd Aug 2012 2:53pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot

"The tricks people try?" They're trying to get their bins emptied, Mr. F. Jobsworth.
somad

roger bandy

withthat
Posted By: AdamS Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 22nd Aug 2012 4:14pm
Given that fieldsy was stating that he was using underhanded methods on a public forum, I'd have thought it was pretty obvious that that was what my comment was relating to - certainly not directed at everyone.
Taking fieldsy's comments on face value, he appears to not be entitled to an additional bin yet utilising a service that costs money - would you like to elaborate on how that makes me a jobsworth Bandy? Or would you prefer that a local authority throws money round randomly because someone clicks their fingers?
While I'm not on here in an official capacity, as I know what is happening on this issue, I'm happy to offer any clarification that is required (name calling notwithstanding!)
I have to say I'm particularly offended by the jobsworth comment - I doubt there's anyone here who's had a job where they can ignore their parameters or regulations utterly (especially in the Royal Marines dave_h) - but as anyone who's dealt with me could attest, I apply common sense where at all possible (and if there's anyone on here that's had their 2nd bin sorted out lately the likelihood is that they've spoken to me)
Posted By: dave_h Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 22nd Aug 2012 4:23pm
Given that fieldsy was stating that he was using underhanded methods on a public forum, I'd have thought it was pretty obvious that that was what my comment was relating to - certainly not directed at everyone.
Taking fieldsy's comments on face value, he appears to not be entitled to an additional bin yet utilising a service that costs money - would you like to elaborate on how that makes me a jobsworth Bandy? Or would you prefer that a local authority throws money round randomly because someone clicks their fingers?
While I'm not on here in an official capacity, as I know what is happening on this issue, I'm happy to offer any clarification that is required (name calling notwithstanding!)
I have to say I'm particularly offended by the jobsworth comment - I doubt there's anyone here who's had a job where they can ignore their parameters or regulations utterly (especially in the Royal Marines dave_h) - but as anyone who's dealt with me could attest, I apply common sense where at all possible (and if there's anyone on here that's had their 2nd bin sorted out lately the likelihood is that they've spoken to me)

like you would know all about that?
Posted By: dave_h Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 22nd Aug 2012 4:26pm
Originally Posted by dave_h

like you would know all about that?

you make a comment like that what do you expect to be called?
Posted By: AdamS Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 22nd Aug 2012 4:28pm
Like I would know all about what? As an ex soldier, I've got a fair understanding of working within reg's and your pic suggests you're an ex marine - so that would indicate a similar understanding on your part. Or have I completely misinterpreted the commando dagger below your name?
Posted By: AdamS Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 22nd Aug 2012 4:39pm
I make a comment suggesting that broadcasting the fact that someone's doing something sneaky on a public forum that could be read by the people they're trying to deceive is somewhat self-defeating in the covert-stakes and that makes me a jobsworth?
Posted By: dave_h Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 23rd Aug 2012 9:56pm
I make a comment suggesting that broadcasting the fact that someone's doing something sneaky on a public forum that could be read by the people they're trying to deceive is somewhat self-defeating in the covert-stakes and that makes me a jobsworth?

i got bored reading that, doesnt make sense, the part i read anyway
My point is that if the bins just got emptied there would be no need for subterfuge and who knows there might even be less fly tipping which also costs a significant amount to clear. I remember the old tin bins and there was never any bother then, the only no-no was putting hot ashes in the bin because it burnt the bottoms out. As for the Army, yes I worked for them a lot and there were Jobsworths there as well, couldn't do the job but enjoyed telling those who could how to do it, but that's bye the bye. Have a nice day.

You must have a short attention span then. And it makes perfect sense to me.
Posted By: dave_h Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 24th Aug 2012 3:37pm
Like I would know all about what? As an ex soldier, I've got a fair understanding of working within reg's and your pic suggests you're an ex marine - so that would indicate a similar understanding on your part. Or have I completely misinterpreted the commando dagger below your name?

army is nothing like the corps as for understanding 'the regs' as you say i take it you never worked with the marines
Posted By: dave_h Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 24th Aug 2012 3:39pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

You must have a short attention span then. And it makes perfect sense to me.

well done chris gold sticker for you
just be thankful you don't live in Ellesmere Port,they have 5 bins my daughter lives there she's only got a small yard she thinks are system is better.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 24th Aug 2012 6:29pm
Wtf lol, who gives a shit?
Really, get off your lazy asses and take the extra bags the tip like me and many others do.
laugh
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 24th Aug 2012 7:12pm
Not everybody has transport.
Posted By: winxy Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 24th Aug 2012 7:16pm
i dont have a car to go the tip either but the guys by me do come once a week and clear any dumped rubbish from in the entry
Do what I do .. Wait till its dark .. and Snarl down a few in the neighbors half empty bins .. gives you a good feelin of notoriety whistle
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wirral Council Decide Not To Empty Your Bins - 24th Aug 2012 10:23pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone
Do what I do .. Wait till its dark .. and Snarl down a few in the neighbors half empty bins .. gives you a good feelin of notoriety whistle

Haha not thought of that one, I feel a mission coming on laugh
Where there`s will .. there's a way an .. all that yes laugh
I lived in preston for a while...their bin system is a nightmare when you dont know, 2 recycling boxes (one red on yellow for different things), a garden bin, a normal rubbish bin and a food bin, everything else is on a weekly rotation but the food bin is every week, you get given a food bin for inside the house too and bio-degradable bin bags whcih we had to write a letter to the bin men for more when we ran out...bit odd but cleaner, inside the re-cycling boxes you have to seperate the cartons from the glass from the paper etc inside the boxes, took a month or so to work that one out!

© Wirral-Wikiwirral