Forums
Posted By: yoller Greenwich Mean Time and Wirral local time - 5th Oct 2018 5:56pm
I’ve been reading how Greenwich Mean Time was adopted by the railways in 1847 to standardise their timetables. Then in 1880, GMT was adopted throughout Britain.

Before that, many places used their own local time, based on the east-west transit of the sun. So, for instance, the local time in Norwich differed markedly from that in Penzance.

So if we still had local time in Wirral – which is about three degrees west of the Greenwich meridian – how would it differ from GMT?
Posted By: Norton Re: Greenwich Mean Time and Wirral local time - 5th Oct 2018 6:35pm
Three degrees equals fifteen minutes, if I remember correctly. This would be behind London time.
3 degrees is 120th of 360 degrees so will be 120th of 24 hours (or 1440 minutes) ie 3 degrees will be 12 minutes.

Posted By: Norton Re: Greenwich Mean Time and Wirral local time - 5th Oct 2018 9:29pm
Thanks DD, you beat me to it.

I was in a rush at the time and I remembered a little later that it should be 12.

Manual satellite tracking from years ago still has its uses!
Originally Posted by Norton
Manual satellite tracking from years ago still has its uses!

I've done the same myself especially on UoSAT-1
Posted By: ShySusie Re: Greenwich Mean Time and Wirral local time - 6th Oct 2018 6:41am
I always set my clock ten minutes faster so my birthday and Christmas Day come quicker. So I use EGT not GMT.
Posted By: Habdab Re: Greenwich Mean Time and Wirral local time - 10th Oct 2018 6:13pm
Wirral time is about 12 years behind the rest of the world.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Greenwich Mean Time and Wirral local time - 10th Oct 2018 8:01pm
Originally Posted by ShySusie
I always set my clock ten minutes faster so my birthday and Christmas Day come quicker. So I use EGT not GMT.

you do realise you will die 10 minutes sooner....better turn them back
Posted By: ShySusie Re: Greenwich Mean Time and Wirral local time - 11th Oct 2018 6:16am
I live for the moment fish..............x
Posted By: jimbob Re: Greenwich Mean Time and Wirral local time - 11th Oct 2018 5:55pm
good to See You All Have Time On Your Hands. The bigger difference between the south end of are country and the northern most point is HIGH TIDE TIMES, they cannot be adopted to a common time and these actually can cost money in freight that's been shipped to this country.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Greenwich Mean Time and Wirral local time - 11th Oct 2018 5:59pm
Also as a port, Southampton has the edge on all other ports due to it having 4 High Tides per 24 hours compared to every where else having 2 per 24 hours.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral