Forums
Posted By: AX_125 House insulation - 19th Dec 2007 2:47pm
Hi,

I am considering having Cavity wall insulation and loft insulation, I can get upto 75% government grant.

Has anyone ever had cavity wall insulation done before, how noticeable was the difference? I have read that it causes some problems with rising damp, have you experienced any problems?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: House insulation - 19th Dec 2007 4:06pm
We had it done in our old house. It wasnt noticeable at all. In fact the only thing we noticed was that the company were supposed to paint the holes they had made and filled in but they didnt.

We got it free as me mum got a 100% grant due to her working in the NHS or summit like that. Dont think id pay to get it done, well not full price, but 25% sounds good.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: House insulation - 19th Dec 2007 11:39pm
pay 25% for something he wont notice with the possibility of damp sounds good? tease
Posted By: Sanchez Re: House insulation - 20th Dec 2007 12:50am
lol, it depends on the style of your house wether you get damp or not, how olds the house mate !
Posted By: MattLFC Re: House insulation - 20th Dec 2007 1:29am
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
pay 25% for something he wont notice with the possibility of damp sounds good? tease

Well we never got damp as a result, and although we didnt notice a difference, it supposedly helps retain heat.

IE. when we turned the central heating off, it supposedly kept the heat in longer then without it.

I never noticed it, nor did my mum, but its not something you really think about. It must work as they are filling the cavity in the walls (provided you house has them) with insulation.

We already had two sets of loft insulation, the original one from when the house was built and they put a second layer in as standard when they did the central heating.

Id be very surprised if your house didnt already have one or two layers of loft insulation.
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: House insulation - 20th Dec 2007 3:17am
we had cavity wall insulation done free from the disablity people and we could notice it alot mate but then we had the old aluminum window frames from about 20 yrs ago which get cold and let alot of cold through so we ave now changed to upvc window frames and it is alot warmer so yes it is noticable
Posted By: MrPhil Re: House insulation - 20th Dec 2007 7:11am
matty if it didn't work they wouldn't do it, My Bro does this for a living, wall cavity insulation and roof insulation, iirc from when i worked with him the std thickness for the roof insulation is 300mm thick.

It's obvious that you won't notice the effects straight away, to put it in simple terms. from having it done with a good double glazing windows, draft proofing carried out, you daily heating , ie combi/boiler will be on less time thus saving you some money.

you notice on terrace houses who has had it done in the winter due to ice/snow still being on their roofs.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: House insulation - 20th Dec 2007 7:13am
Did I say it didnt work?

Originally Posted by MattLFC
It must work as they are filling the cavity in the walls (provided you house has them) with insulation.

wink
Posted By: Mark Re: House insulation - 20th Dec 2007 8:13am
Yeh we had it done on a old modern house.
It was a semi detached so it was noticeable.

But as mentioned its probably only as good as the next weakest link. So i think that has to be taken in to consideration too.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: House insulation - 20th Dec 2007 8:15am
The house is about 50-60 year old ex-council house.

The insulation in the loft is pretty awful, the house won't retain heat atall, it is freezing even when the central heating is on.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: House insulation - 20th Dec 2007 8:18am
Originally Posted by AX_125
The house is about 50-60 year old ex-council house.

The insulation in the loft is pretty awful, the house won't retain heat atall, it is freezing even when the central heating is on.

Id deffo say go for it then! Even more so for the loft insulation if nothing else.

Dont worry too much about the damp concerns.

smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: House insulation - 20th Dec 2007 9:32am
how long has the house been Ex-council?

also damp concerns, the surveyor for the company who imspects the house as to wether air bricks are needed, these will prevent/slow down damp if an issue, also the "eves" of the roof won't be packed so their will be enough ventilation to stop damp their.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral