Forums
Posted By: bert1 Members Militaria Collections - 6th Jan 2009 8:03am
I thought i would start this thread to allow members to share military items, old military photographs,etc handed down through generations of family or just personal collections of forces memrobillia.This pic is of my Grandfather (center of flags) during the Boar War around 1899.

Attached picture ladysmith.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 6th Jan 2009 11:58am
The Burma Star newspaper announcing the surrender of the Japanese in 1945. My father brought this back from Burma at the end of hostilities.

Attached picture burma star.jpg
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 6th Jan 2009 12:01pm
Excellent stuff Bert,photo is superb.1899. thumbsup
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 6th Jan 2009 2:06pm
British Army 1945 ration biscuits. My Uncle brought these biscuits back with him from Burma in his kit bag to show his wife what he lived on. Around 1958/59 i had one of these biscuits from another packet he had, so i could see what they were like,( no death by date then.)The biscuits are now nearly 64 years old and in original packaging and have only ever been kept in the wardrobe.

Attached picture ration biscuits.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Members Militaria Collections - 6th Jan 2009 3:15pm
Originally Posted by bert1
British Army 1945 ration biscuits. My Uncle brought these biscuits back with him from Burma in his kit bag to show his wife what he lived on. Around 1958/59 i had one of these biscuits from another packet he had, so i could see what they were like,( no death by date then.)The biscuits are now nearly 64 years old and in original packaging and have only ever been kept in the wardrobe.

LOL, looks like a good stash.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 6th Jan 2009 4:14pm
It does actualy. raftl
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 6th Jan 2009 5:00pm
Lets move on children, to buy such a stash you may need this. A Banknote issued by the British Army for circulation in Tripolitania in 1943.

Attached picture banknote.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 7th Jan 2009 8:04am
SLOUCH HAT favoured by troops who served in Burma and the far east.The hat below was my uncles who served with the Chindits. The Chindits were a special force formed and lead by General Orde Wingate, 1943/44 and operated behind Japanese lines.The left side of the hat is turned up to prevent interference when carrying a rifle on the shoulder.

Attached picture khaki.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Members Militaria Collections - 7th Jan 2009 8:24am
Wow
Ive never seen anything like this.

Thanks ever so much for sharing Bert wink
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 7th Jan 2009 11:06am
Though the Plaque (dead mans penny) has been in another post, now accompanied by memorial card and The British War Medal and Victory Medal. WW1 1914-18.

Attached picture medals.jpg
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Members Militaria Collections - 7th Jan 2009 12:35pm
The appendices in dad's website show pictures of the memorabilia we have.

http://continuacs.googlepages.com/home

Snod
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 7th Jan 2009 1:11pm
Excellent, thank you for sharing and thank your dad for his service. Definitely read in more detail again.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 7th Jan 2009 1:16pm
W Barker, recipient of medals above, photo taken about 1915, in kings reg uniform.

Attached picture w barker.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Members Militaria Collections - 7th Jan 2009 3:11pm
fantastic bert. thanks for Sharing thumbsup
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 7th Jan 2009 3:36pm
Towards the end of the war against Japan my Father served with the Intelligence corp. I have about 50 intercepted messages, of which i post a random few. i have no idea why they should still be in my fathers possession after the war.

Attached picture intercepted messages.jpg
Attached picture int 2.jpg
Attached picture int 3.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Members Militaria Collections - 7th Jan 2009 4:08pm
Tremendous stuff Bert. Thanks.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Members Militaria Collections - 7th Jan 2009 9:33pm
Towards the end of the war against Japan my Father served with the Intelligence corp. I have about 50 intercepted messages, of which i post a random few. i have no idea why they should still be in my fathers possession after the war.

Bert

For the same reason my dad has all his old documents ie they represent a very significant part of his life and it would be sacrilige to dispose of them. However, that then raises an important issue ie the eventual heirs (if indeed there are any) cannot be relied on to keep such things and to treat them with the respect they deserve - so what is best to do with such things?

I have hi-res scanned all dad's documents and those copies are fine for me. The images are properly stored in several places. However, none of us can predict what the state of "internet" storage or media storage will be like in say the same 60+ years that these paper documents have survived so far. My son has no interest in inheriting such things in the fullness of time.

Logically some or all of the originals + the bound copy of the texts from dad's website should go to a proper military archive. I did try contacting the Regimental Museum that now houses items relating to the what was originally dad's outfit ie Royal Army Service Corps, but their interest was minor/ cold.

Snod
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 7th Jan 2009 10:07pm
Excellent material Bert.I was in the Kings myself (aka Kingo) I joined in 86/87 at the minimum age at the time was 15 and 3 quarters.Done my basic training in Newcastle,place called Albermale barracks Ouston an ex WW11 RAF base.(RAF Ouston).

Here is the cap badge that I wore (with pride) at the time.

Attached picture kings_regiment_badge.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 7th Jan 2009 11:52pm
Snod, i can understand the predicament you may well be in, i feel somewhat lucky in that respect. I do have family members who i feel confident will cherish and care for these items as i have. I can also understand the position museums are in, what we hold dear to us, you will normally find museums have the same or similar items a hundred fold.It is definitely a very difficult decision to make. Thankfully i don't have that decision to make.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 8th Jan 2009 8:58am
Dava would have done his service in The Kings, Manchester & Liverpool regiment who amalgamated in the 50s whose cap badge he has displayed. photos below show modern day Kings and badges pre- amalgamation, with the Liverpool Kings cap badge, The White Horse of Hanover.

Attached picture badges 004.jpg
Attached picture badges 002.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 8th Jan 2009 11:09am
The Japanese occupied Burma in 1942 and then soon after distributed The Japanese Government occupational money to use as its currency.

Attached picture jap 003.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 9th Jan 2009 9:28am
A Forces Christmas Card sent from my Father to my Mother 1944.

Attached picture xmas card.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 9th Jan 2009 10:45am
Some old Army papers, its a bit much when you have to get permission to ware your own medal band. Also one of the subjects you had to pass was Army and Empire.

Attached picture p1.jpg
Attached picture p2.jpg
Attached picture p3.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 10th Jan 2009 7:53am
WW2 German Trench Knife

Attached picture kn 004.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 10th Jan 2009 8:07am
Zulu short stabbing Spear found about 2 miles from the Isandlwana battle site South Africa. Thought by finder to be Zulu resting place before the battle.

Attached picture kn 002.jpg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Members Militaria Collections - 10th Jan 2009 8:27am
Wow, exellent thread bert, thanks for sharing everyone smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jimbob Re: Members Militaria Collections - 10th Jan 2009 11:46am
I know why you had to obtain permission to wear your own medal ribbons. There where a men who where imposters, there where ones who obtained medal ribbons for which they where not entitled and there where even men who wore service uniforms that had not even been in the forces during the war. I actualy know of one, he was eventualy caught and put inside as it was a crinimal offence which carried a jail sentence during the war and i think it may still be. But these days under this present goverment and the way they treat the services all you would get is an asbo.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 10th Jan 2009 1:53pm
WW2 Soldiers repair kit.

Attached picture a 001.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 10th Jan 2009 2:02pm
Plaques commemorating exercise UHLAN EAGLE. A joint polish/ nato exercise conducted at Drawsko Pomorski, Poland. Taking part was a British Battle group including the 7th Armoured Brigade ( Desert Rats ).

Attached picture a 004.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Members Militaria Collections - 10th Jan 2009 4:21pm
WW2 Soldiers repair kit.

If I remember correctly, this was called a Housewife.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 10th Jan 2009 5:06pm
That's right Chris, I knew it was called something, couldn't think what is was , thanks
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 10th Jan 2009 5:13pm
Bert,I have only just managed to view the images on here (pc trouble.You have got some truely first class items there.Thankyou for sharing mate.Superb.thumbsup
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 12th Jan 2009 8:00am
British Army Pass 1934.

Attached picture pass.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 12th Jan 2009 10:37am
First of all you was graded after your medical and if declared fit you received your call up papers.

Attached picture medical grade.jpg
Attached picture enlistment.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Members Militaria Collections - 12th Jan 2009 12:22pm
British Army Pass 1934.

This is interesting in a couple of respects. First, here the name is written with the initial is before the surname; I would have expected it to be Williams.D. Second, he was expecting to get from Aldershot to Liverpool & back between the end of duty on one day & reveille the next day (if I'm reading it correctly). I'm guessing that reveille would be no later than 7am.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 12th Jan 2009 1:47pm
Chris, can't explain the name, that's down to whoever filled it in. I do know it was for my Father to attend a funeral of family friend. Remember him telling me, travelled up, funeral, travelled back.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 12th Jan 2009 2:03pm
my uncles ww2 campaign medals and Chindits badge. Medals left to right, 39/45 British War Medal, Burma Star, Defence Medal, 39/45 Star.

Attached picture med 002.jpg
Posted By: Wench Re: Members Militaria Collections - 12th Jan 2009 7:57pm
The verse on the inside of the Christmas Card reads:

There's gladness in remembrance
Now greeting time is here,
And in my "Book of Memory"
Your name is ever dear.
May you while we are parted,
Happy and safe remain,
Till we renew our memories,
And share our joys again.

His Release Book lists his conduct as "exemplary" and the testimonial says:

A very honest and reliable man. He has performed his work in the Army very satisfactorily at all times, applying himself dilligently and conscientiously to whatever he has been given to do. He is recommended as being hardworking, adaptable, efficient and most trustworthy.

Description: Royal Engineers Regiment Christmas Card sent by my Dad to his first wife and sons whilst on active service.
Attached picture wiki history stuff 002.jpg

Description: Inscription on the inside of the Regiment Christmas card.
Attached picture wiki history stuff 004.jpg

Description: My Dad's Soldier's Release Book, Class A. Dated 7th November 1945
Attached picture wiki history stuff 005.jpg
Attached picture wiki history stuff 007.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 12th Jan 2009 8:07pm
well done jay, glad you got them on.
Posted By: Wench Re: Members Militaria Collections - 12th Jan 2009 8:11pm
I can't even begin to say how proud I am to be able to post these!!

Description: Another Christmas Card. Inside of the card says that the picture on the front was taken on the River Tigris.
Attached picture wiki history stuff 009.jpg

Description: The inside of the card.
Attached picture wiki history stuff 010.jpg

Description: My Dad (on the right) and his mate "by some of the cookhouse equipment, somewhere in Iraq".
Attached picture wiki history stuff 013.jpg

Description: My Dad (on the right again, with the white scarf and glasses) with some of the locals in Iraq.
Attached picture wiki history stuff 021.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Members Militaria Collections - 13th Jan 2009 12:07am
Originally Posted by PaganJay

His Release Book lists his conduct as "exemplary" and the testimonial says:

A very honest and reliable man. He has performed his work in the Army very satisfactorily at all times, applying himself dilligently and conscientiously to whatever he has been given to do. He is recommended as being hardworking, adaptable, efficient and most trustworthy.

LOL, what that actually means,Jaci, is "xx years of undetected crime" (just joking)
Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 13th Jan 2009 8:03am
The Kings letter that accompanied the plaque (Dead mans penny) back in the thread.

Attached picture kings letter.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 14th Jan 2009 11:34am
Gratuity and credits due.

Attached picture credis.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 14th Jan 2009 11:38am
Worrying times waiting to hear from someone abroad

Attached picture letter.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 14th Jan 2009 11:42am
From the American Civil War

Attached picture 50 dol.jpg
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Members Militaria Collections - 14th Jan 2009 7:31pm
Hey!
Spent most of the afternoon uploading some pics from some items and photos I have, apologies in advance I used my camera phone to taken them.
All items have been passed down from family members.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A few badges I dug out

[Linked Image]

Some more..

[Linked Image]

First and second world war badges and medals

[Linked Image]

Couple of cap badges and another badge item on the far left not sure what that is???

[Linked Image]

Couple of dogtags
and some sort of wrist tag.

[Linked Image]

Admitedly not war related but earned by m great uncle who worked for birkenhead transport corporation before the second world war. One medal for 5 years clean driving and another for 10 years clean driving,

[Linked Image]

Dogtags of family members.

The following are photographs taken by my great uncle who served in the 8th army in the north african campaign as a despatch rider. He must have liked photography as the folowing photograps is only a quarter of the collection and paints a portrait of life in north Africa.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As I said thatis only about a quarter of the collection, plus there are numerous first world war pictures of family I didnt have time to take a picture of and upload via mobile frown Will upload more picture soon.

Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Members Militaria Collections - 14th Jan 2009 7:34pm
Oh dear I've made quite a mess sorry!
Posted By: Wench Re: Members Militaria Collections - 14th Jan 2009 7:41pm
That's OK mate, easily sorted happy
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 16th Jan 2009 9:26am
My Fathers Army tunic 1944.

Attached picture run 002.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 16th Jan 2009 10:48am
My Fathers campaign medals and Ribbon bar from left to right War Medal,Defence Medal, Burma Star,39/45 Star.Medal missing from Ribbon bar, India general service medal.

Attached picture run 012.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 16th Jan 2009 11:49am
Sweetheart Card 1939/45

Attached picture sweetheart card.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 16th Jan 2009 11:54am
Preparing for action and crossing rivers, India and Burma.

Attached picture preparing action.jpg
Attached picture river crossing.jpg
Attached picture rope bridge.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 10th Feb 2009 8:15am
The Kings Regiment 250th Anniversary photographic Record

Attached picture 34 002.jpg
Attached picture 34 003.jpg
Attached picture 34 005.jpg
Attached picture 34 006.jpg
Attached picture 34 007.jpg
Attached picture 34 008.jpg
Attached picture 34 009.jpg
Attached picture 34 010.jpg
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 26th Sep 2010 12:46pm
amazing stuff, will try and get some of mine up soon
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 27th Sep 2010 10:57pm
Here is my little collection smile

[Linked Image]
Original K98 with Bayonet!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 28th Sep 2010 7:08am
Good start Lee, like the Karabiner.
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Members Militaria Collections - 28th Sep 2010 10:33am
Is that a v2 rocket controlling device next to the rifle? smile I also have an incendiary bomb that was dropped in Birkenhead will take a photo soon
Posted By: chriskay Re: Members Militaria Collections - 28th Sep 2010 3:45pm
I had a Mauser K98 re-bored to 7.62mm. Shot reasonably well out to 300 yards.
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 28th Sep 2010 6:19pm
thanks all, i am trying to sell the flag to be honest it is a repro but i think its a rare type.... got a bren mag aswell and a ammo box.... i did have a few other things like wound badge and another german badge.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Members Militaria Collections - 30th Sep 2010 5:44pm
have got a similar picture of my grandads football team over in india from the second world war! i dont have a scanner but will try to get a picture of it.. and add it

i also have a 2nd WW bayonet, a napoleonic bayonet with sheaf, a 1905 police dress sabre without scabbard frown and a pair of french dueling "eppes (spp)"
Posted By: bert1 Re: Members Militaria Collections - 4th Dec 2010 1:50pm
This is a letter received by my father from his mates wife in 1944. I have tried to copy without making to many changes.

I just received your letter, i am very glad le (the) rest of the boys enjoyed the cigarettes, but i wish you didn't send me the PO (postal order) because i know soldiers need all they have.
So i decide to give half the money (can't make out) for my husband and the rest well i will send some cigarettes for you and your friends. I hope you will approve of it.
As you can see i am writing in English very bad but hope you can understand what i say. You see i am French and i found quite differcult for writing in English.
I was just wondering if you knew my husband, you see i cannot believe is dead for they told me and i imagine he will come back to me some day when the war is over, smiling and brown, tired and hungry, the way is likely to be after the long journey when he was coming home in leave.
The children and i are very well, i hope this letter found you all in best of health.
May god bless you all and keep you safe for the ones are waiting for you at home.
Cheerio good luck
i an your sincerely
Louise McGurn

Attached picture rs1.jpg
Attached picture rs2.jpg
Attached picture rs3.jpg
Attached picture rs4.jpg
Attached picture cwg44.jpg
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Members Militaria Collections - 4th Dec 2010 2:05pm
nice pics thanks for sharing
julie
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Members Militaria Collections - 5th Dec 2010 2:35pm
Any of you who know about/ collect bayonets may like to see these scans - and to drool over the item shown in the lower part of the picture.

These are both 1888 pattern Lee Metford bayonets. The upper one with two hilt rivets is the Mk11 but that lower down with 3 rivets is a VERY, VERY rare Mk1

Snod

Attached picture bayonets001.jpg
Posted By: yewgarth RAF FLYING HELMET - 26th Dec 2010 10:28pm
Here's a Pic of a late WW11 pilots flying helmet i picked up a few years ago.

Attached picture DSC_0002-1.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0003-1.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral