Forums
Posted By: uptoncx Hoylake's Lighthouses - 18th Nov 2008 5:37pm
Hoylake had two lighthouses, known as the upper and the lower lighthouse. The lower lighthouse which was built in 1865 and remained in use until 1908.

[Linked Image]

It was used as an entrance to the Winter Gardens Cinema until shortly after the First World War, when it was pulled down.

The upper lighthouse was built in 1865 on the site of an earler lighthouse, it was last used in May 1886. Remarkably, the light house has survived.

[Linked Image]

The purpose of the lights was to guide ships int the Hoyle Lake anchorage at night.

Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 18th Nov 2008 5:47pm
wow well interesting thanks
Posted By: Mark Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 18th Nov 2008 8:11pm
See More Today Pictures Click Me

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 18th Nov 2008 8:20pm
Great pictures thumbsup
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 18th Nov 2008 8:21pm
To day at the house

Attached picture picSS 152_600x450.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 18th Nov 2008 9:10pm
Some more ...

Attached picture Hoylakelighthouse.jpg
Attached picture HoylakeLowerLighthouse-2.jpg
Attached picture HoylakeUpperLighthouse-2.jpg
Attached picture HoylakeUpperLighthouse.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 15th Dec 2008 2:59pm
The Hoyle Lake was half a mile wide, having 15 feet of water at its western entrance and 30 feet of water at its eastern entrance. it was reported in a Gentleman's Magazine 1796 that Hoyle Lake was capable of accommodating vessels of any size then frequenting the coasts.
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 30th Dec 2009 6:34pm
Upton library 7.00pm 18th January 2010 - "Cheshire Lights" - a talk on the lighthouses at Leasowe, Bidston, Hoylake and New Brighton given by Diane and Robby Robinson.
£2.50 admission, includes light refreshments.
Further details, phone Upton library on 0151 677 5677
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 30th Dec 2009 7:32pm
Don't forget Hoylake's fake lighthouse at the end of Stanley road. Built by warrior from gladiators according to the local gossip of the time.

Attached picture 100_3237 [800x600].JPG
Posted By: Tatey Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 30th Dec 2009 7:41pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
Don't forget Hoylake's fake lighthouse at the end of Stanley road. Built by warrior from gladiators according to the local gossip of the time.

It was built by a brickie called Dave Evans.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 30th Dec 2009 8:06pm
I did not mean that warrior literally built it with his hands himself. It was his dream house that he had built. Or at least nearly built. He ran out of money before the end.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 30th Dec 2009 9:28pm
Grrrrr!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tatey Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 31st Dec 2009 5:07am
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
I did not mean that warrior literally built it with his hands himself. It was his dream house that he had built. Or at least nearly built. He ran out of money before the end.

I'm with you now.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 4th Jan 2010 8:27pm
You mean "Dave the Crane" Evans?
Hes mad on cranes, owns a couple, used to do all the work on them for him!
He built/restored a few housed in Bidston Village! You should see the build hes just done on Ford Rd, top of the hill!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 5th Jan 2010 8:14am
Originally Posted by hoseman
You mean "Dave the Crane" Evans?
Hes mad on cranes, owns a couple, used to do all the work on them for him!
He built/restored a few housed in Bidston Village! You should see the build hes just done on Ford Rd, top of the hill!

Yes, same Dave. Used to be known as "Mad Dave the Brickie" when he was driving round in armoured cars !!! Seen all the houses, all first class. By the way you must be good on hydraulics as he speaks well of you.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 5th Jan 2010 10:59am
I have my moments!! LOL
Havnt seen him for years tho.
Posted By: Gwyn47 Re: Hoylake's Lighthouses - 9th Oct 2012 11:01pm
my wife's ancestor worked at these lighthouses , he was known as Tom "Switcher" Eccles ....origionaly from Hoose (Hoylake) Back Seaview Road ...also a fisherman with his family on "The Emblematic"
© Wirral-Wikiwirral