Forums
Posted By: chriskay Tranmere Hall Estate - 10th Nov 2008 3:36pm
I've been researching it because I spent the first 19 years of my life there.For those who don't know it, there's a map attached. The estate is outlined in blue. The pin in Prenton Park is just there as a landmark. The site of Tranmere Hall is marked in yellow: this isn't the original Tranmere Hall, but that's another story.
The large open space in the middle is now, I understand, Tranmere Rovers' training ground, but when I lived there it was the Birkenhead Institute playing field. I remember watching my younger brother playing cricket there. The entrance & pavilion are on Ingleborough Rd.
Thanks to Wirral Archives I was able to obtain some plans for the estate, although I'm still not sure when it was built; (I think about 1927).
The 1919 plan shows the originally planned layout, which was obviously nothing like the final layout.
The 1924 plan shows the final road layout, except that the roads don't extend through the site of Tranmere Hall.
The 1925 plan shows the final layout, with all the housing, except that the Tranmere Hall site is still blank. Incidentally, the blue & brown houses are described as "subsidy houses", but I haven't been able to find out who supplied the subsidy or what it amounted to. It was one of these houses, No.61 Ben Nevis Rd., which my parents bought some time in 1937/8/9. It cost £750, but at that time my father, who was a skilled tradesman, was probably only earning £5 a week. I know that when I was born in March 1937, they were still living in Maybank Rd.

Attached picture 1919 plan.jpg
Attached picture 1924 plan.jpg
Attached picture 1925 plan.jpg
Attached picture houses 1.jpg
Attached picture houses 2.jpg
Attached picture Map of Estate.jpg
Posted By: spinking Re: Tranmere Hall Estate - 10th Nov 2008 3:47pm
Cant see the map matey.

I live in tranmere.

I remember were though think it was called BI????

My foster carer was a re teacher there.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Tranmere Hall Estate - 10th Nov 2008 4:03pm
OK, re-named it to Map of Estate. Hope you can see it now.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Tranmere Hall Estate - 10th Nov 2008 4:22pm
Interesting stuff Chris. Im just researching Tranmere Hall at the moment for my website. A lot more history there than i had first thought.
Posted By: spinking Re: Tranmere Hall Estate - 10th Nov 2008 5:41pm
Got it.

Chriskay you live just down the road from me.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Tranmere Hall Estate - 10th Nov 2008 6:53pm
Used to live happy Where are you?
Posted By: spinking Re: Tranmere Hall Estate - 10th Nov 2008 7:40pm
Highreen road.

i work on bidston road not far from the site
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Tranmere Hall Estate - 10th Nov 2008 7:50pm
INTERESTING thumbsup

Have you got this map ?

Attached picture map_600x383.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Tranmere Hall Estate - 10th Nov 2008 8:44pm
This makes me think I'll have to scan in the maps I have with the deeds to my house. My house was built as part of the Flaybrick Hill Estate.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Tranmere Hall Estate - 10th Nov 2008 10:40pm
Originally Posted by robbo_theman
INTERESTING thumbsup

Have you got this map ?

Yes, it's the 1919 plan posted above. The original is in Wirral Archives.
Posted By: Mark Re: Tranmere Hall Estate - 12th Nov 2008 7:11pm
Great Topic Chris thumbsup Thanks for Sharing.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Tranmere Hall Estate - 22nd Aug 2011 11:45pm
Bad news for the playing fields ... CLICKY
© Wirral-Wikiwirral