Forums
Posted By: Wench **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 29th Nov 2011 7:13pm
A heads up for you all. A friend was in Birkenhead yesterday. They were at the cashpoint and behind them was a woman with a child who was misbehaving. The woman looked at my friend and rolled her eyes as if to say "aren't kids a pain sometimes". The woman watched her slyly as she took her money out and put it in her pocket.

Next thing they knew, the same woman was coming towards her as if to go to hug her. My friend backed off but the woman lurched towards her. As she did that, a male grabbed her from behind and took the money out of her pocket. It was a sizeable amount as they're going away on holiday and it was their spending money.

Please be extra alert when at the cashpoint as it's not the first case this week and I doubt it will be the last frown
Posted By: rocks Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 29th Nov 2011 7:43pm
thanx for that wench
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 29th Nov 2011 7:47pm
What a pair of scumbags! Bring back the stocks! mad
Posted By: chris7777 Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 29th Nov 2011 7:47pm
some ... around! come out of the woodwork at this time of year.
i've been asked for any loose change, or a lend of 20p! of course i say no, but it's a bit unnerving.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 29th Nov 2011 8:50pm
Nasty experience. Good argument for getting cashback at the supermarket instead of going to the cashpoint, but I appreciate there's probably a limit on amounts doing it that way. Safer, though; store security present, cameras etc.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 29th Nov 2011 9:00pm
They make me sick ,money is too hard earned for it to be taken off you like that just because they can mad
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 29th Nov 2011 9:04pm
That's just awful, so sorry for your friend.
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 29th Nov 2011 9:25pm
A*seholes! We were warned at the beginning of uni that people will wait behind you and just take the money out of the atm before you could, it's so cheeky. And I have noticed a lot more people asking for change, some guy stopped me the other day asking me to buy him a subway (does he know how much subway costs??) and I said I couldn't cos I'm nearly skint as it is, so he gave me this narky look and said 'okay' like I was the one who kicked him out his house. Didn't look like he'd been 'sleeping rough' sigh.
Posted By: Fireblade Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 29th Nov 2011 9:30pm
Sh*te news,trouble is its so close to bloody Christmas
so ... are taking bigger risks.
Where abouts in B,head was it ??
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 29th Nov 2011 9:37pm
Don't they have CCTV cameras at ATMs?
I thought so... so with a bit of luck then they will find the whole "family" that did this...!
Posted By: Sallybear Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 29th Nov 2011 10:01pm
Sorry this has happened, but why put money in your pocket at a cashpoint? Seems very irresponsible. Always put money away in a purse or wallet in front of you out of the view of others in the queue, and move away in a safe way, people really should take more responsibility for their money sometimes, all said very sorry thing to happen to your friend.

And please dont have a go at me, I was just thinking out loud, if I was taking large amounts out of a cashpoint at this time of year, I would be extremely careful thats all.
Posted By: stumpyduck Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 30th Nov 2011 8:08am
which cashpoint
will help others to be on their guard
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 30th Nov 2011 9:49am
TYPICAL

Please, people, shop in a more decient place ffs smack

I hope they end up on Crocodil and die a very slow and painful death, junkie ...!
Posted By: Snickas Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 30th Nov 2011 9:53am
so sorry for your friend Wench frown

BUT I also agree with Sallybear & Ste, please please start being more vigilant and more aware of your surroundings, especially when you're at cash machines and ESPECIALLY this close to christmas.

Posted By: ex0__ Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 30th Nov 2011 10:14am
That'd be 'Krokodil' and unless they moved to Russia it's not gonna happen tease
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 30th Nov 2011 10:40am
Originally Posted by ex0__
That'd be 'Krokodil' and unless they moved to Russia it's not gonna happen tease

Won`t be long before our idiotic country adopts russias habbits, the smack rats will take whatever they can, thats a brilliant drug for them, at least it will kill them all off smile
Posted By: Wench Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 30th Nov 2011 10:45am
I think it was the cashpoint by Argos. I can't check as she's now abroad. I must admit, I don't carry a handbag or purse - mainly because it's not practical with one arm in a sling and the other hand using the crutch. I've just bought an across the body bag so will be using that in future. Having said that, anyone who tried it with me would get said crutch wrapped round their head.

She'd already stepped away from the cashpoint as far as I'm aware.

I am more shocked at the fact that the female used a child as a distraction - is there no depths these barstards won't sink to no
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 30th Nov 2011 2:15pm
Originally Posted by Wench

I am more shocked at the fact that the female used a child as a distraction - is there no depths these barstards won't sink to no

"Oliver Twist"
Posted By: Nigel Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 30th Nov 2011 3:08pm
Of course, If you punch one of these scumbags in self defence youle be the one in the clink!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 30th Nov 2011 4:03pm
Originally Posted by Nigel
Of course, If you punch one of these scumbags in self defence youle be the one in the clink!

I'd take my chances on that and a punch is the least of their worries if they go down. About time we were allowed to arm ourselves like the yanks I think.
Posted By: puntoar Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 30th Nov 2011 4:20pm
The law is already in place to defend ourself against an attack, a crime against ourselves or to act Pre-emptively if we believe that any of the above apply. (That's as basic as I can get without getting long winded)
Yes you may end up being questioned, so make sure that you use reasonable force and ensure that you have good legal advice.

On the other hand you have to weigh up the situation, its a really awful thing to happen to someone and its easy to criticise Wench's friend but shes still going on holiday unharmed; IF she would have fought back, would she be capable? Would she be hurt? Would anyone help? Lets hope there's CCTV and the police get them. I think its important that everyone takes more control of their personal safety and awareness of ones surroundings is an important start.

My instructor always says "Its better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"
Posted By: chris7777 Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 30th Nov 2011 5:38pm
Originally Posted by Wench
I think it was the cashpoint by Argos. I can't check as she's now abroad. I must admit, I don't carry a handbag or purse - mainly because it's not practical with one arm in a sling and the other hand using the crutch. I've just bought an across the body bag so will be using that in future. Having said that, anyone who tried it with me would get said crutch wrapped round their head.

She'd already stepped away from the cashpoint as far as I'm aware.

this happened to my mum some yrs ago in ethel austens in new ferry, distraction from a child!kid had a rat tat tat gun, got to the till,mum went to get her purse out of her bag and it had gone!they had even unzipped the bag to get it! thinking she may of left it at home, we went and had a look, no it was'nt there, back to the ferry and in that time they had got her cash card gone into the bank [not her own] and drew out £200, ethel austens had no cctv, well we called the police but all they did was send someone from victoms of crime! next day in the same area in the ferry i heard that rat tat tat gun again! oh yes, had an idea who did it but had no proof, mum got her money back from the bank they drew it out of because they were in the wrong for not checking the signature, but the '...' got away with £200!! few weeks later her purse was found in the gents of one of the bookies in the ferry.
mum is a pensioner too, how can they do it!? since then i have seen the person who i had an idea it was on one of those scooters for the disabled!!! either they are genuine---and i say they got what they deserved----or they are now conning the benefits!!!
Posted By: janazca Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 30th Nov 2011 9:56pm
Not sure if its still there but my friends mum always used the atm in marks and spencers down town at least they have a security person in there to give chase if it happens and the ba*****s are seen in time xx

Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 1st Dec 2011 9:46am
Someone tried it on me last Christmas back at the Post Office cashpoint in New Ferry. Held their thumb and finger hard to the back of my neck trying to make me think it was a knife (it was obvious it wasnt) and told me to hand over all my money. I turned laughing thinking it was someone I knew trying a prank, but I didnt recognise the guy and his face was serious (not a case of mistaken identity then).

I told the guy 'er, no', so He just stood staring at me like a idiot, his demeanor was very eratic, and he was bleeding from his head (maybe the last person he tried it on didnt take too kindly). It as like he was drunk or on drugs.

I wasnt quite sure what to do (and shocked) so just walked away.

Told the police but heard nothing back.

Ive always been told that if you confront someone and say something like 'I know you dont I?' it puts them off guard. He was only a little guy though, so an ass whooping would have been more appropriate. I was just stunned by the whole thing to think that lol

Hindsight would be great if it was more like foresight.
Posted By: dave_h Re: **Cashpoint muggings alert** - 1st Dec 2011 7:18pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Originally Posted by Nigel

I'd take my chances on that and a punch is the least of their worries if they go down. About time we were allowed to arm ourselves like the yanks I think.

fooking roger that, snap the gits jaw round the back of his neck, wud serve em right
© Wirral-Wikiwirral