Forums
Posted By: CustomIce Allotments - 20th May 2008 9:37am
Well, anyone else have one or interested in "growing their own"

I managed to get an allotment about the size of my back garden! (its not a small garden either) and it's only a half plot too.

I'd been brought up knowing how to grow all sorts of veggies by my folks and grandparents. Can't beat the satisfaction of seeing your hard work pay off eother. Especially when you can eat it!

Plus digging it over is fantastic exercise!

So, what have i got planted:
4 3/4 rows of spuds, king edwards and maris peer
Red onions (60 of)
White onions (60 of)
Shallots (only 12)
Spring onions, three rows, but i think the birds have had them!
2 types of carrot sewn in between the onions to keep carrot fly away
Spinach
Gem lettuce
Oakleaf lettuce
Rocket
Beans approx 6 plants
Cabbage 1/2 a row
cauliflower 1/2 a row
Broccoli 1/2 a row

Still got loads to plant yet, like A ince big squash plant, 4 tomato plants and a load of sugar snap peas, all growing in my £9.99 plastic greenhouse!

Although i've done this before, this is my first stab at the whole thing on my own, so things may go badly wrong, but its all a learing curve.
I'm getting a load of seeds in for some interesting patio/container plants like dwarf chillies and dwarf peppers to accompany my patio herb garden at home.

I'll keep you posted as to what goes on!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Allotments - 20th May 2008 9:48am
Originally Posted by CustomIce
Well, anyone else have one or interested in "growing their own"

....know what Im sayin' wink
Posted By: chiccy Re: Allotments - 20th May 2008 10:11am
really admire u for doing it C.I

1) am too lasy
2) i just kill plants... hence my garden is only full of shrubs what look after themselfs, an half of them r dead from the garden "re jig" we have just done lol
Posted By: Colgo Re: Allotments - 20th May 2008 10:45am
Good Luck
The way the price of veg is going up it's not a bad idea
Posted By: CustomIce Re: Allotments - 20th May 2008 11:36am
cologo, my idea exactly, and the 1/2 plot only cost me £14 for the year, i could spend that on veg in a week.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Allotments - 20th May 2008 3:55pm
I couldn't be bothered growing my own lol

Not a bad idea though.

Good luck with it smile
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Allotments - 20th May 2008 7:53pm
I had an allotment for 35 years - and did all the things you plan to do. Eventually I retired - and contrary to what you expect you then have NO TIME for such things as allotments. Life then becomes FAR too busy - so after about 3 years of retirement I gave the plot up. I guess if I had been able to rely on some help from the Mrs and offspring then maybe I would have kept on. However, their interest had waned and the lad was far too busy with girlfriends, footy and the like.

Snod
Posted By: Mark Re: Allotments - 20th May 2008 9:31pm
Pictures as they grow lol

My uncle has one and its all good stuff wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Allotments - 20th May 2008 9:55pm
thinki have always wanted an allotment how do i go about getting one. good luck with yours bud thumbsup
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Allotments - 20th May 2008 10:55pm
Grow some sweetcorn in your plastic greenhouse and I'll buy it off you lol
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Allotments - 21st May 2008 8:05am
The missus mum has an allotment near the Ridger in Newton. They spend quite alot of time down their, believe it or not the spuds they grow are so much more tasty compared to some shop bought ones as are the red onions, cabbages etc...

to put price into this you pay around 2quid for 100+ seeds i think, or 1 quid for 3 onions from Morrisons lol
Posted By: CustomIce Re: Allotments - 21st May 2008 11:47am
As soon as i get the time to put the pics up i will, took a few from when i got it through to last night.

As for getting them go to the council's website and apply, there is a wait for them unfortunately i was lucky and only had to wait a few months. But some waiting lists are years long, just depends on which site you're interested in.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Allotments - 21st May 2008 12:35pm
thanks m8 thumbsup
Posted By: CustomIce Re: Allotments - 27th May 2008 5:21pm
Some pics:
sort of from when i got it (overgrown) through rotorvating and planting onions and spuds, to a week ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Snodvan Re: Allotments - 27th May 2008 6:36pm
When I had my plot over many years and a newbie arrived quite often we would have a "dig-in party" ie as many as possibe from the site (+ guy's friends) would be persuaded to give an hours digging time one Sat or Sunday - in return for some refreshments (and a good natter). Usually that would break the back of the heavy work and ensure the newbie did not give up in despair at the size of the task ahead

"Have petrol rotovator & grass strimmer - will travel" - any volunteers

Snod
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Allotments - 27th May 2008 6:46pm
good job done m8 looking good happy
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Allotments - 27th May 2008 6:46pm
nice one, what stoppin some one comin alone and takin you spuds though
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Allotments - 27th May 2008 7:52pm
Does not happen with spuds (too messy to dig 'em up) but in the past I have lost a load of onions that had been lifted to dry off. Hope they choked on 'em

Snod
Posted By: chiccy Re: Allotments - 27th May 2008 8:14pm
me 2 grr thats so rude

guy that looks brill
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Allotments - 27th May 2008 8:21pm
good work guy mate and good luck with it thumbsup
Posted By: Wheels Re: Allotments - 27th May 2008 8:48pm
spooky i can see 2 faces in the smoke

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chiccy Re: Allotments - 27th May 2008 8:57pm
i think i know what u mean,.. hehe his 1st pic u can see my work laugh x
Posted By: chriskay Re: Allotments - 27th May 2008 10:31pm
So, where is this allotment? I remember the ones near me, during the war. It's now the Mount estate. I also remember some which seem to be still there; between Cavendish Drive, Princes Boulevard & Bebington Rd. I used to be sent there to buy whatever was in season.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...hx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1
Posted By: CustomIce Re: Allotments - 28th May 2008 9:11am
Its down off bridal road in bromborough Chris. But those in that map look like big plots!

As for the smoke thing, the spooky bit is the bloke who's plot that is just started working on it again after losing his wife last year!

We've has some issues with the brass taps being stolen at the alotments, and the odd scal breaking in (spiky wooden fence all the way around and locked gate, not fort knox tho) and trashing a few plots.
If i catch 'em them may meet my spade = fertilizer for my veg wink
Posted By: chiccy Re: Allotments - 28th May 2008 11:15am
think i already told u this guy but the same vandals attack the nursery too.. damaging the childrens play equiptment, stealing taps.. and last year breaking ALOT of the windows too grr buggers
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Allotments - 14th Jun 2008 9:47pm
Looks like it has alot of potential custonice, here's a pic of the Missus's Mums Allotment..

[Linked Image]

Will add a few more later, They are only doing Veg tho (the pic misses out alot of both ends of their allotment due to Work in Progress.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Allotments - 16th Jun 2008 6:51pm
If anyone's looking for an allotment, there may be one here.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=53.366072~-3.024738&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=29157941&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

This sign is on the Borough Rd. gate, between Cavendish Drive & Princes Boulevard. Thought the phone No. might be useful.

Attached picture allotments.jpg
Posted By: CustomIce Re: Allotments - 16th Jun 2008 9:24pm
Good stuff Philw, and Chriskay that should come in handy for someone smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Allotments - 17th Jun 2008 7:40am
Chris.... That sign looks as if it's a "proper" enamelled sign. Obviously not all that old. Didn't think there were any firms still making enamelled signs.... they take skill to make ... and last far too long!

Maybe it's just glossy, nasty plastic ??
Posted By: chriskay Re: Allotments - 17th Jun 2008 8:01am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Chris.... That sign looks as if it's a "proper" enamelled sign. Obviously not all that old. Didn't think there were any firms still making enamelled signs.... they take skill to make ... and last far too long!

Maybe it's just glossy, nasty plastic ??

Not sure about that, Mike. Probably plastic; think I can see signs of flexion, top right corner, but could just be reflection.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral