Forums
Posted By: turnip Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 5:22pm
I'm trying to sort out my dads desktop computer. When I'm starting it up it will start up with the below screen. It will also only start up in safe mode however if I go in through safe mode it will let me disable the graphics card and start it up however it then runs with blue lines through everything.

Is this the graphics card or something else at fault? Does anyone have a spare card I can try to see if it resolves the issue?

If you try to start it normally with the graphics card enabled it just BSOD.
Posted By: turnip Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 5:23pm

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 6:06pm
Ok BSOD Blue screen of death.

This means that there is most definitely a hardware or software issue. Because you say it will work in safe mode its going to be a driver issue.

The lines your experiencing could be that the resolution is too low or the monitor will not support a low setting.

What you have not said if this is a new monitor or if you have changed anything else for this problem to start.

Was all working ok and the went wrong for no reason ?
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 6:09pm
Un-plug machine, take out the graphics card and then replace, say 3 hail Marys and all will be well. :-)
Posted By: lansyp Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 6:12pm
Just a silly thought .try unplugging the wire and plug it back in from the monitor and also has the computer been moved if so the graphics card could have moved so try removing and re installing it it could be just a blip caused by a dry weld which may just need a boost .failing that go into the BIOS and check that the onboard graphics haven't been turned on if the motherboard has one
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 6:16pm
"graphics card could have moved so try removing and re installing it it"
mmm, someone else mentioned re-installing it.
Posted By: turnip Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 6:25pm
As far as he tells me it was all working fine, he was on eBay and then it just blue screened and rebooted. To begin with it wouldn't boot to the windows screen but I've managed to get into the system. The screen is the same and although I'm running it off my tv it was doing the same on his monitor.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 6:35pm
But you have not took out the card and stuck it back in yet?
Posted By: turnip Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 6:39pm
I have taken it out and checked it and put it back in. Nothing seems to be burnt out and I can't see any loose connections. It is quite an old computer so I don't know if it is just the graphics card.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 6:48pm
It does sound like the card has died, alas I don't have one. Being an old machine I`d only buy a cheap card to replace it. Maybe one of the lads on here can supply one cheap or even free. I used to mend computers years go but now I only use laptops so I cant even take out mine for you to try.
Posted By: turnip Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 6:57pm
Ah awesome. I just wanted to check my train of thinking was on the right path. I've got another old computer but the sound card is built in so its no use. It's not a bad pic to be fair so it'd be nice to try and sort it for him smile
Posted By: lansyp Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 7:53pm
Sony ,if you check the times I was probably writing as you where posting so if I repeated what you wrote then at least it proves your theory could have been right and your as good as me lol
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 10:24pm
Originally Posted by lansyp
Sony ,if you check the times I was probably writing as you where posting so if I repeated what you wrote then at least it proves your theory could have been right and your as good as me lol

Your a better man than me Gunga Din, I`m not this brave :-)
[youtube]w0dLbrBmFcg[/youtube]
Posted By: lansyp Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 31st Dec 2014 11:23pm
Lol you win lol
Posted By: Habdab Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 1st Jan 2015 11:14am
Have you updated the graphics card driver to the latest version?

Have you tried doing a sytem restore to a date before the problem started?
Posted By: turnip Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 1st Jan 2015 12:52pm
I haven't tried updating the driver. Will give that a go later. But I have system restored it to no avail.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 1st Jan 2015 5:49pm
Graphics card.

When you get a new one if the old ones an ATi and the new ones nvidia make sure you delete the ATi drivers completely from the system or you will have trouble.
Posted By: turnip Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 1st Jan 2015 6:44pm
Awesome. Does anyone have a spare on lying around or one for sale? The specs of the one I have here are:
256mb
PCI Express
DDR2

Thanks
Posted By: turnip Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 4th Jan 2015 4:09pm
Just an update. Ive just changed the graphics card and all is good. The computer is back to normal. Nice little £24 card from pc world and now its git an hdmi slot too.

Thanks for everyones help.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Start up/graphic card issue - 4th Jan 2015 4:13pm
Nice to see you got it sorted :-)
© Wirral-Wikiwirral